UPS Strikes Again | GTAMotorcycle.com

UPS Strikes Again

Clem

I had some stuff shipped from the UK. They assured me that it wouldn't ship UPS but I guess their shipping company handed it off to UPS in North America.

Tax was $211 and they only charged me $10 for clearing it. Apparently Air Freight from Europe is treated differently and they don't use Peace Bridge Brokerage Limited who are real crooks. I normally clear UPS myself but for $10 I had them do it. Big mistake.

The delivery guy shows up at the door and asks for $221. He wouldn't take cash so I paid by credit card. Most reputable companies give their staff a hand held Point of Sale device but not UPS. The guy had to write it down on a form. Anyway, I got my package.

Fast Forward 2 months.

I get a letter from Receivable Management Services in Montreal wanting to know when I would be paying the $221 to UPS. WTF.

I call RMS. First problem is that no-one can or wants to speak English but eventually I get the claim number and information and call UPS.

The UPS accounts payable team tried to put my credit card number through but it came back as a invalid number. Numb nuts had written it down wrong.

I asked why they didn't phone me. They said they didn't have my phone number.

I asked why they didn't send me a letter. They claim that didn't have my address. Hello... that would be the address that you delivered the ****ing package to.

So, you just blindly turn this over to collections?

Anyway I paid so I just have to keep an eye on my credit rating.

So, my wife is a lawyer. This ****** her off so much she called them wanting the address of of their legal as she said she was suing on my behalf. It ended up they offered her a $500 refund to go away. Should I take it?

How can a company this bad stay in business?

BTW, those RMS guys in Montreal are real nasty pieces of work. I'd hate to be some poor guy that got behind on his payments and had those ****ers hounding him :(

Take the $$ and take your wife to a nice dinner.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Ha Ha.

Sorry, not l'm not laughing at what happened to you. I'm laughing at their incompetence.

We have a small office, one guy, in the US that we use for shipping. Its in Kentucky as its right beside the Cincinnati Airport which is the main Fedex hub for the US.

I once asked him why we used Fedex over UPS and he said that he " would rather trust a Tennessee meth head with his packages than UPS"

I guess that just about sums it up.

Grab the money and run

So, my wife is a lawyer. This ****** her off so much she called them wanting the address of of their legal as she said she was suing on my behalf. It ended up they offered her a $500 refund to go away. Should I take it?

Your wife sounds like a keeper.

I would have my wife make their day miserable then take the money.
Tgen again, I'm not a nice person

In the past I've worked for a reasonably evil company that preyed on people having a rough time (sorta like collections, but internally) and it was amazing how effective notarized letters from lawyers/paralegals were

UPS stuck me with their mystery brokerage fee about 15 years ago, and between that and stories like this, it's the primary reason I avoid them like the plague now and will refuse to buy anything online from a company that only ships via them.

In this situation, I agree - take the money enjoy..but get a letter from them as part of the deal that ensures the debt has been removed from the collection agency and your credit will not be harmed...if that doesn't end up being the case have your wife make their life miserable afterwards.

But at this point, they probably have an army of highly paid lawyers on retainer that could, if you dig your heels in, make things a PITA for you in return, so I'd just take the money and the written assurances and go enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
If you have item and they don't have money and don't know how to contact you. It seemed they had the problem. While it is too late in the future I would say just don't pay. Not worth their while to come after you...

the_job_you_ve_practiced_for_all_your_life_big.jpg

RockerGuy, your wife is awesome, give them crap before taking the money.

I swear, with UPS, even down to the colour of their uniform doesn't look right.

who agrees?

RockerGuy, your wife is awesome, give them crap before taking the money.

I swear, with UPS, even down to the colour of their uniform doesn't look right.

who agrees?
You mean OP's wife.

But I agree with the uniform. Their uniform looks like a turd

A couple years ago I was getting calls from a collection company, couldn't figure out who it would be. So after a few weeks of them trying me and me trying them back, turns out it was a UPS hired collection company looking for $40ish that was "unpaid".

Similar to the OP, UPS didn't ever try and contact me, no letter or phone call, and I suspect it was the same kind of thing happened that the driver wrote down the cc number wrong.

Unlike the OP, my wife is not a lawyer and I paid it.

Last winter a UPS truck got stuck in the ditch in front of my house. We went out to talk to him, not intending to help in any way. Apparently the drivers are responsible for their vehicles and have to pay for any tows themselves?

You guys that are getting calls from collection agencies demanding money for reasons which you don't recall or understand need to read up on your rights - on request they have to prove the debt belongs to you and give you all of the relevant details on such including why it exists.

If they cannot provide you that information you're not obligated to continue dealing with them, and if they continue to pester you regardless there is an overseeing agency that can strip them of their license if they are found to not be adhering to the rules. An appropriately worded letter informing them of their breaches of the law as well as informing them you know if your rights will make them very apologetic and subsequently quiet in short order – ask me how I know. ;)

Honestly I've had problems with both companies (UPS and Fedex) with stuff like this. Just recently, Fedex tried to bill me for brokerage and taxes a month after the fact, despite signing for the package at their depot and specifically asking if there was any charges - they said no.

UPS is the bottom of the barrel.. I've used fedex, Dhl, usps, no matter how bad they f up. Still better than ups.. JT sprockets sent me my parts for this year. UPS fee's $163 taxes and duty.. Parts value $200.
ROTOBOX Carbon rims, value $3800 CDN DHL.. $82 taxes and duty!!!! Slovenia to my door 3 days!!
Pro fiber sent me Carbon fiber bodywork. $15.00 duty fee ( Fed Ex)
I have never seen such a scam, and somehow it's legal... I will no longer purchase anything from a company that Only uses UPS

Thank you ; Mikey Moto, RotoBox CF, Blue Streak Racing, JT Sprockets, HiFlo Filters, Champion Cycle, Kennedy Motorsports, Dyno-Jet. For your help and support.
www.cementheadracing.ca

Back
Top Bottom