Got my 2016 renewal for my 2015 BMWS1000R from TD Meloche.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my 2016 renewal for my 2015 BMWS1000R from TD Meloche....

busabim

Site Supporter
First off, I have home, 2 cars and the bike with them. I have $300 deductible and I am have been licensed for 30+ years. Bike is considered "High performance " category. I looked it up online through TD Insurance online.

They only raised it 11% ( to $1530) which they seem to do every year. I was expecting a serious bump this year from what I heard from all of the forum lately.

My Hayabusa premium with them (last year) was more, but it is a 300cc larger bike. My guess is they are looking at the total amount of business you have with them BEFORE they give you the motorcycle endorsement price.

Stand alone policies on supersport bikes are an endangered species! They may not even be economically feasible in Ontario anymore.

Allstate is a few hundred cheaper (but with a $1000 deductible) but they want all my business ( cars, bike, home...) It is a lot of work/effort to switch over. Car rates were the same as TD meloche monnex. I didnt compare the home policy yet.

Dont forget one very VERY important thing-- Have you ever had a claim with the company you are planning on using? I have in both home , auto and even motorcycle over the years.

I once had State farm policy for auto and was a new client. I had a large claim within the first year and they paid out but proceeded to cancel me upon renewal.

Look at all the factors. Would a company you have been with a long time cancel you the same as a new company? They dont care if you are at fault if you are a new customer. They paid out 10k and collected 1500, that is how they look at it.

Can you get accident forgiveness on your bike/car policies?

One main concern is how reasonable the company is when it is time to PAY out. Also, there is goodwill for the number of years they have been raping you ( usually). Some things to think about..

BB

Last edited:
I don't think there is rime or reason for the ridiculous increases people are seeing. Many of the previous posters have better records than yours and got increases of 80 to 100%.

I am not one for conspiracies but there was a meeting is some secret room by all the heads of insurances and this ridiculous situation is not by mistake.

News outlets have done a piss poor job reporting it and the only guy there were news about got his insurance rectified due to a "glitch in the system"

Here is where the government is supposed to intervene and investigate and do something about it but I wouldn't hold my breath to it. Maybe we (Motorcycle Riders) are paying for the supposed 15% decrease the Ontario government promised on Auto Insurance? don't know.

Not sure why there was a need to open a new thread about the same thing discussed in 5 or 6 other threads.

My point is that my increase was not 80% --but 10%. Until we have data from a lot more supersport bikes we wont know what the increases are like on average.

The main point is --I dont think the way insurance underwrites sport bikes ( maybe even all bikes) in Ontario will no longer be viable ( affordable) as stand alone insurance.

I recently heard of a friends 800cc cruiser bike premium doubling in 2016, further proof that without insurance reform stand alone motorcycle insurance in Ontario may be dead.

BB

Last edited:
I have 3 bikes with TD MM. R1200GS, S1000RR and K1200S, went from $3200 to $3700, about a 15% increase. The surprising thing was the S1000RR and R1200GS went up $100 each but the K1200S went up $300. My brother has a K1200S as well with TD and his jumped from $1100 to $1800, not sure why the K12 would increase more than the S1RR?

I have 3 bikes with TD MM. R1200GS, S1000RR and K1200S, went from $3200 to $3700, about a 15% increase. The surprising thing was the S1000RR and R1200GS went up $100 each but the K1200S went up $300. My brother has a K1200S as well with TD and his jumped from $1100 to $1800, not sure why the K12 would increase more than the S1RR?

You're a lucky guy (nice stable!). I still endorse the practice of calling around, and not just bending, over sans lube.
My allstate guy got me the same coverage, lower deductibles, threw in collision forgiveness, essentially everything I was getting with TD MM and more, at a few dollars less than what TD MM's renewal was.

Have auto and rental insurance as well, but TD MM was weird in that they threw a stack of paperwork at me for the privilege of giving them an additional car policy... thanks.... but no.

wIaLACf.gif

Most likely based on recent historical payouts for K12, that's one of the factors.

The K12 is penalized now for the CC over 1000. I remember getting quotes for a Multistrada which I thought were high but they said the CC is to blame.

As I stated before, moving my entire portfolio to save a few hundred bucks is a real hassle and you will lose any goodwill you have with your present company. Is it worth it, for enough of a difference , definitely.

BB

Back
Top Bottom