GSXR 750 First bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GSXR 750 First bike?

It depends on how good of a deal you are getting. If the deal is really good, buy the bike and then sell it, make some profit and then put that profit into buying a ninja 300 (great resale value). Once you ride for a few years, gain experience and know what you want or not then work with your insurance to get a bigger bike.

Just make sure it is a good deal, no one gives their stuff up just to be nice.

The general rule for a new rider is <50hp <500lb. This would include all the 250-300cc bikes, but there are other bikes. Buy a used, older bike and you'll need only liability, which will reduce your insurance cost.

You might also wait a couple of years and start learning to drive a car. The experience you will get from the car will make you a much better and safer rider and you will save considerably on insurance. This money you will save can be put into your bike. Unfortunately insurance companies will severely penalize you due to your age. You need not play their game. There is no rush to learn to ride, you have many years ahead to do this.

Unless you are filthy rich you will not be able to afford the GSXR. Though Europe has their graduated licensing system, here in Ontario we have insurance companies that similarly regulate new riders. No sale price, even free, will be good for this bike.

Best way to do it in my opinion is get your self an 80's Japanese bike such as a Honda CB400, 450 nighthawk, Maxim 400, Gs400 etc. The older bikes will teach you a great deal on how to work on your own bike and understand the mechanical workings, tons of parts are still available and a lot of the bikes I mentioned can be had for <$800 Also insurance will be cheaper than a new 300 or 250 but at the same time these older bikes will be quicker. Everything you learn on these bikes can be transfered to other bikes you own in the future, you'll save yourself a lot of money on maintenance.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

NOTE: I do not know a lot about insurance that's the reason why I am here. And I'm calling tomorrow. I'm not a young guy who just wants a fast bike. I just want a good bike that will be good for holding highway speeds. So before I get stupid comments im here for advice.

Don't be discouraged to get the license. The sooner you get, the better it will be for insurance in the future.
If you really want to ride, maybe get someone else insure the bike and ride responsibly (not a very ideal advice).
Start off with a small street legal dualsport (125-2225-250cc). They can't really go fast on the highway (max at 100km/h) but are very cheap to insure.

Good luck :)

I just want a good bike that will be good for holding highway speeds. So before I get stupid comments im here for advice.

This thread stayed way more civil than I suspected it might. You've been given lots of good advice though, you are going to crap your pants at the insurance quotes on a 750, trust everyone.

As for your comment, don't assume that you need a huge bike to "hold highway speeds". I bought my wife a 250 for Christmas to learn on, similiar situation as you.. but several decades your senior. I bought it from a fellow in Downsview and rode it home the same day. Not being interested in immediately jumping onto the 401 on a brand new unfamiliar bike with still questionable power I decided to come across Steeles/Taunton road all the way back to Oshawa as much to get a feel for the bike as to enjoy the nice December weather.

Long story short, I was quite surprised. I'm not a small guy and the bike performed admirably, at one point in the 80 zone across the top end of Ajax Pickering I had it up to what I'll only say was "highway speeds" and even with my bulk on it and the wind resistance it held it's own. Was it as stable and powerful as my VTX1300? Hell no. But it didn't feel dangerous or woefully underpowered either.

So, if you REALLY want to ride, I'll X2 the comments from others - get a small bike, a cruiser vs sport style ideally, and get some experience. Your insurance is still going to be significant, but it might not be unaffordable at least assuming you have a decent job.

There's no way this isn't someone who was banned coming back to troll.

On the off chance it isn't:

Get a 300 or a Supermoto and have tons of fun while being able to wring the throttle and not be travelling at lightspeed. Also saves on insurance. Also fine at highway speeds up to about 140. Also girls really won't ever be able to tell a 300 isnt a ZX-10R don't worry bro.

Thanks for the advice, and their is no limit on engine displacement. But I see where your coming from. I only looked into this bike because the owner assumed it would be okay for me. That's why I am on here seeing what everyone else thinks

Frankly he's a liar or not all there in the head. In no shape way or form is a 750cc supersport an appropriate first bike for someone coming into the sport/hobby.

Last edited:
:) bikes are not about girls. If he is looking for a short cut this is mistake.

So I was looking at bikes for the past year or so and I had my mind set on a Honda CBR 500R or possibly a 300... I also did not want a brand new bike just because this will be my first motorcyle (I'm 16 turning 17 in April) so my dads friend has a 2001 Suzuki GSXR750 that he would give to me for a good price. Now although nothing is set it all depends on the insurance of the bike. What is your opinion? I will be talking the riding course and obviously getting proper gear and I feel like I will be responsible with the bike. Anyone get insurance quotes for a bike in Ontario for 16-17 year olds ? If so what did they quote your and what bike.

Get the 1000. Almost same price and 3 switch modes - ABC - like a 500 on A, 750 on B and 1000 on C.

... I was going was the 500 Honda but then I got told that was a killer for insurance (Honda in general) so it all depends on the insurance.

Honda, in general, is expensive to insure? 750 SS good for 16 year old beginners? If that is OP's dad's friend spilling those gems then OP should tell his dad to get some better friends.

Get the 1000. Almost same price and 3 switch modes - ABC - like a 500 on A, 750 on B and 1000 on C.
Bro A=600
That's a gixxer 1000 man. Nothing less than 600

Bro A=600
That's a gixxer 1000 man. Nothing less than 600
No bro. On A you can program it to whatever you want. Save money on insurance when you tell them you will only ride on A switch.

Ask toysareforboys and he will reflash it so it's only 500 on A.

Yut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhhh
....so it's a 750 AND a 1000?!?!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

No bro. On A you can program it to whatever you want. Save money on insurance when you tell them you will only ride on A switch.

Ask toysareforboys and he will reflash it so it's only 500 on A.
Gotcha... End argument

There's no way this isn't someone who was banned coming back to troll.

On the off chance it isn't:

Get a 300 or a Supermoto and have tons of fun while being able to wring the throttle and not be travelling at lightspeed. Also saves on insurance. Also fine at highway speeds up to about 140. Also girls really won't ever be able to tell a 300 isnt a ZX-10R don't worry bro.

Frankly he's a liar or not all there in the head. In no shape way or form is a 750cc supersport an appropriate first bike for someone coming into the sport/hobby.

Maybe the seller is someone who doesn't give **** and just wants to unload a bike, or he learned to ride in a different country. OP posted 2 years ago asking about 125s and 250s so it seems legit to me... you gotta remember that motorcycles still draw in people that know nothing about them to start, and if you google something like "Toronto motorcycle insurance" it's pretty much guaranteed GTAM is going to come up. It is amazingly high in the search results for a lot of different things.

Yut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhhh

Do people even know what this references anymore

Back
Top Bottom