GSXR 750 First bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

GSXR 750 First bike?

So I was looking at bikes for the past year or so and I had my mind set on a Honda CBR 500R or possibly a 300... I also did not want a brand new bike just because this will be my first motorcyle (I'm 16 turning 17 in April) so my dads friend has a 2001 Suzuki GSXR750 that he would give to me for a good price. Now although nothing is set it all depends on the insurance of the bike. What is your opinion? I will be talking the riding course and obviously getting proper gear and I feel like I will be responsible with the bike. Anyone get insurance quotes for a bike in Ontario for 16-17 year olds ? If so what did they quote your and what bike.

Lol

You're going to get a lot of sarcastic/rude answers so I'll just try make it simple lol three scenarios I see:

#1 - No insurance company will touch a 16 year old on a 750 sport bike

#2 - you will find insurance but it will be over $5000 a year, possibly more, much, much more

#3 - you find a 250 cruiser and ride that for a couple years until you at least have your M then maybe you'll have luck with insurance

Your age combined with a sport bike will just not be nice to you in the insurance dept. I had a 650cc standard as my first bike at 23 and the lowest was $300/month

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and yea well that's what I said because I figured insurance would just be crazy but I will figure out tomorrow for sure main reason is my dads friend offered a good deal on the bike.

What @Beekman said.
End thread.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

NOTE: I do not know a lot about insurance that's the reason why I am here. And I'm calling tomorrow. I'm not a young guy who just wants a fast bike. I just want a good bike that will be good for holding highway speeds. So before I get stupid comments im here for advice.

At 16 years young riding a 750cc?! Sure go for it...are you kidding me!! Law in Canada suppose to be like in Europe start with the small displacement and gradually over the years you will earn the right to ride a 750! Be smart and do yourself a favor, buy a 250 and don't look for anything else until you have more experience.

A 300 can do highway speeds. I have read of guys doing 140 for long periods. That is 40 over lol. You get hit with HTA 172 and forget about riding/driving for a long time.

NOTE: I do not know a lot about insurance that's the reason why I am here. And I'm calling tomorrow. I'm not a young guy who just wants a fast bike. I just want a good bike that will be good for holding highway speeds. So before I get stupid comments im here for advice.
You will get lots of stupid comments. It comes with the territory. Even if you got that bike for free, it wouldn't be worth it, insurance wise, imo.
125, 250 or 300. That's where you wanna be. Or a cruiser.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, and their is no limit on engine displacement. But I see where your coming from. I only looked into this bike because the owner assumed it would be okay for me. That's why I am on here seeing what everyone else thinks

Yea I know a 300 would be great but the price that he gave me was basically the same so I just wanted to take all options into consideration! Thanks for your reply!

Yea I just thought people would take into consideration the reason I'm on here is to see what other riders think and yea, when I talk to the insurance broker tomorrow hopefully I can figure what I can and should be looking for. I'm not worried about getting a smaller bike, that was the plan from the start! Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, and their is no limit on engine displacement. But I see where your coming from. I only looked into this bike because the owner assumed it would be okay for me. That's why I am on here seeing what everyone else thinks

You are right there's no limit in Canada for engine displacement but in Europe yes and i wish Canada would do the same;)

Yea I see where you are coming from! I get told so many things for a lot of people when it comes to bikes, I wasn't even gonna look for a 600, Max I was going was the 500 Honda but then I got told that was a killer for insurance (Honda in general) so it all depends on the insurance.

Don't be surprise for a quote around $3000 for a 250. Do your home work shop around.

Yea definitely will do, depending on what bike I get it will be late spring or early summer before I get everything I need (gear and insurance) so I got lots of time

There's no one pat answer as to whether bike 'X' is suitable for rider 'Y' -- everyone's skills, strengths, intuition, instincts, maturity etc are different -- but there are some common sense themes that have gelled over the years and one of them is that putting a new rider on a 140HP sport bike is a recipe for disaster. Not all parents are aware of this so I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that your dad didn't immediately veto the idea.

Insurance companies know this and will effectively dissuade you by making your premiums unaffordable or politely telling you they're not interested in your business. There are companies now that are doing/telling that to seasoned riders with decades of fault-free riding.

But supposing you have the technical chops, strength, maturity, skill (etc) to ride that bike: All you can do at this point is call your insurance agent and ask for a quote. If you do, please follow up here with the numbers. I think it will be educational for others in your situation considering a sport bike of that calibre.

Do it. Pop a wheelie coming out of your house too on your first ride.

...I'm not serious, don't do it. There's a sticky as to why this is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom