Hey from the Hammer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hey from the Hammer

xxxxx

Hey all,

Just joined up though I've been lurking and reading for some time. Finally decided to sign up and see if I can't meet other riders who are into longer trips, like touring/moto camping etc... Maybe even international/adventure riding trips

Been road tripping since I've had a car, and I've been across nearly all of the United States. Exceptions are New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut (probably this summer), and Alaska/Hawaii (they're hard to drive to :p).

I'm 29. I ride a 2006 Honda 750 Shadow for the time being. First bike. It;s been good to me so far. I bought it with the intent of upgrading to something bigger, but I'm not so sure anymore. I might just get an adventure bike in addition to the Shadow.

Leaning towards a KTM adventure bike after meeting a Russian fella who was touring the states on his. We crossed paths somewhere in rural Pennsylvania when I got a nail in my rear tire and was trying to source/replace a tube.

Maks helped me lift my bike onto wooden blocks, pull the wheel, remove the tire and tube, and put it all back together. All in a parking lot over the course of two days.

The guy was an inspiration. It's one thing to tour your own country/neighbouring country. Maks left everything behind and is/was touring the globe on his KTM.

Over drinks, he recounted stories of months-long trips in India and Mongolia on a 350 enfield. This is probably the biggest factor that changed my mind about my "little" 750cc engine being insufficient...

If there's a couple things I learned in my ~48 hour flat tire ordeal, it's that
1) schedule, shmedule... delays are part of the adventure. They are a catalyst for interesting/unique experiences. You will meet incredible salt of the earth people when things go off course.
2) The World isn't the terrifying place some would have you believe....and most importantly,
3) Always carry spare tubes on long trips....lol

So far on my shadow, I've done solo trips down through PA, VA/wVA, NYstate. Met up with a friend in DC and went Shenandoah. It's a beautiful ride, for anyone considering it.

He had been on the road in the US for something like 10 months at the time and trying to see as much as he could before his visa ran out. He shipped his bike by sea to Los Angeles.

Anyway, that's plenty of babbling for now....

If you're into adventure touring, or If the Long Way Round / Long Way Down are appealing concepts to you, we'd probably get along just fine, and I'd like to hear from you...

Adam

Welcome Adam. My first bike was a Shadow, traded it in for a Adventure Styled CB500X the next season and it was a great move for anyone who wants to ride on different terrain.

Adam, I said hi in the other thread, but that was one of the most interesting introductions that I've read here! Once again, welcome to the forum!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Hey Adam...welcome to the forum. In the "adventure" section you will find many threads & riders with the same interest as you. Maybe you will find your next adventure there. Welcome to GTAmotorcycle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Back
Top Bottom