1983 GS750ES Carb Help | GTAMotorcycle.com

1983 GS750ES Carb Help

GVH

I finally picked up a winter project. Needs the normal stuff from sitting to long. The big problem is it needs the carb Diaphragms replaced or repaired. One or more are ripped from age. The bikes running 1986 GSXR1100 34mm carbs. Prices are $130 each at the low end and up. Anyone have a good used set of 34 carbs.

Second question is tires. Anybody using Avon AM26 and do you like them ? 120/80/16 and 130/80/18 limit choices.

Thanks
1983GS750ESR.gif

Those Avons are really popular on older bikes. That's what I put on the FJ and I like them a lot.

I'd look on eBay for a set of used diaphragms. Check out ebay.com - a lot of scrap yards don't ship outside the US. I have my FJ parts shipped to Crossborderpickups in Niagara Falls, NY then I pick them up in Mississauga.

Last edited:
For any GS restoration check out the web site and related forum at www.the[FONT=arial, sans-serif]gsresources.com[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]This site was invaluable in my restoration of my old 77 GS750b
Looks like a great project bike![/FONT]

I ran AM26s and was very happy with them... it's been a while since then, but bias-ply tire development hasn't gone anywhere in the meantime

Going to try the ContiClassicAttack radials next, reviews are extraordinarily good. I don't think they're available in the OP's sizes though.

just throw another $600 at it and slap on a set of FCR's, be done with wimpy diaphragms and such lady parts.:director:

For any GS restoration check out the web site and related forum at www.the[FONT=arial, sans-serif]gsresources.com[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]This site was invaluable in my restoration of my old 77 GS750b
Looks like a great project bike![/FONT]

Ya it has all the period stuff. Astralite mages and rotors, Lockheed calipers. Fox shock, Progressive springs up front. Last owner had it 25 + years. Came with a load of extra bits including full bodywork. Best of all the bike and I are eligible for classic insurance.

83gs750esfront.gif
83gs750esrear.gif

I'm thinking of trying this stuff "Loctite ULTRA Gel Control Super Glue" It says it leaves it flexible. Maybe cut up one of my old CB carb diaphragm and glue it on. I have the carbs off and apart. Show some pics tomorrow.

sg_ug_cntrl.png

Nice winter project....I did mine a few years ago and enjoyed very minute of the rebuild

As mentioned, get signed up here - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/forum.php lot's of help, and you might find a set of carbs, you would be surprised what some of the old guys have lying around....

Well enjoy the build

ohhh and go with the Pirelli tires, nice and sticky and I was able to up one size from stock.....

for inspiration have a look at my blog if you wish - http://gs750e.blogspot.ca/

Cheers

those are brembo cast iron rotors too fyi, i have a spare set of carriers if needed, they will warp berfore the rotor will.

those are brembo cast iron rotors too fyi, i have a spare set of carriers if needed, they will warp berfore the rotor will.

Good to know. He couldn't remember where he got them from.

Pics of one diaphragm. You can see the glue he used is peeling off after a season or two. Thinking of trying to fit my 89 Kat 750 BTS36SS carbs.

carbdiarightmiddle.gif

Nice winter project....I did mine a few years ago and enjoyed very minute of the rebuild

As mentioned, get signed up here - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/forum.php lot's of help, and you might find a set of carbs, you would be surprised what some of the old guys have lying around....

Well enjoy the build

ohhh and go with the Pirelli tires, nice and sticky and I was able to up one size from stock.....

for inspiration have a look at my blog if you wish - http://gs750e.blogspot.ca/

Cheers

I'm not sure if I should be offended :)

Ya it has all the period stuff. Astralite mages and rotors, Lockheed calipers. Fox shock, Progressive springs up front. Last owner had it 25 + years. Came with a load of extra bits including full bodywork. Best of all the bike and I are eligible for classic insurance.

Did that GSX-R motor drop right in or did you have to make custom brackets or weld on additional tabs?

Did that GSX-R motor drop right in or did you have to make custom brackets or weld on additional tabs?

The motor, more or less, bolts in. If I remember you have to enlarge a hole or two on the brackets, and fab a rad mount.

Now my question; Anyone know if that early Gixxer transmission will fit in a GS?

if thats a gsxr motor, buddy in ottawa has a set fcr's that would fit, probably mint cv carbs too, used fcr are about 5-600.

I'm thinking of trying this stuff "Loctite ULTRA Gel Control Super Glue" It says it leaves it flexible. Maybe cut up one of my old CB carb diaphragm and glue it on. I have the carbs off and apart. Show some pics tomorrow.
QUOTE]

This was a fail ! My version of flexible must be different. It does state no hot liquids so it might come off.

Back
Top Bottom