Security Devices Through a Thief's Eyes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Security Devices Through a Thief's Eyes

ZX600

Site Supporter
Not sure if this is a re-post but I found it interesting.

An Ex bike Thief giving recommendations on what types of security devices work or don't for motorcycles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

basically you want it to appear to take a long time to steal. $100 disc lock on rear wheel, $150 chain/lock combo through hard parts not chain and not wheels, if it has to be a wheel put it through the rear one, lockable bike cover, and keep your steering lockedLojack is pretty good for recovering bikes from beginners, but I want to keep mine from being stolen in the first place.
copy/pasta below! As far as the first post is concerned
1) Mostly supersports. They are the most commonly crashed and generally the easiest to find (left outside in nice apartment complexes) Next would be Harleys and for a brief moment in time the high dollar choppers.
2) Never, ever, never never never, NEVER leave your bike outside at an apartment complex. Especially one with a gated parking garage. The gated parking garage in a mid to high rise apartment building in the nice part of a large city is the number one place for bike thieves to go "shopping." As far as passive devices go I like the NYC fughetaboutit chain/lock from Kryptonite, the thicker of the two. It needs to go through something like a braced swingarm whenever possible. If you absolutely have to put it through a wheel put it through the rear wheel. It takes much longer to swap than the front wheel. Any $100 disc lock will work well, again, rear wheel, locks on the front are more easily defeated, take my word for it. Cheaper disc locks can be quietly, well, we'll leave it at that, cheap ones can be defeated in silence. Lo-jack and Lo-Jack w/early warning are pretty good at recovering the bikes from amateurs and semi-pros, but someone who knows what they are doing will remove the lojack system quickly after clearing the area. Still someone even more professional (surprisingly rare) will have somewhere to check/store/breakdown the bike that is rf shielded. The problem with lo-jack is that it doesn't keep someone from stealing the bike. Even if you get it back in one piece without the police crashing into your bike to catch the thief you'll still likely have a broken upper triple, damage to the neck of your frame (Steering lock), damage to your ignition, damage to the tank lock, possible damage to the tank itself (rareish) possible damage to the trunk lock , and then your insurance company might **** you too. It's much better to not get the bike stolen in the first place. So in addition to lo-jack you want some sort of VISIBLE passive devices to make the thief move on. The paging alarms are somewhat effective, but they aren't linked to the police. Removing electronic devices is obviously more of a mental challenge than a physical one. The quality of the install is a huge factor here. Hide the lo-jack or alarm in or under the airbox and all the wiring within the factory looms and you'll have a good set up. However, almost NO dealer tech is this thorough. It's not his bike, why would he go the extra mile?
3) I think bobbypeel covered the locks and chains well. Very few thieves are this thorough, of the dozens of them I knew over the years I only came across one like this, but I knew someone that had a pair of bolt-cutters that weighed a lot, more than a 45lb plate at the gym, and had replaceable cryogenically hardened teeth. They cost several hundred dollars. The high dollar chain lock sets $150+ are worth it. Even the high dollar braided cable locks are good. They can be cut, but it's a pretty time consuming process.
4) Personally, if it's rashed up, looks cosmetically rough, but mechanically sound. Say grips are worn, been dropped on both sides, but the chain is clean and well-adjusted, tires worn hard on the edges, has any signs of safety-wiring for the track etc. It's lack of value isn't what I'm looking it. It would remind me of myself once upon a time. I think that's probably all he's got, his whole world, it's not pretty, but he rides the piss out of it. He gets a pass.
More for most people, just what takes time. I've known very very few stone cold guys that can sit there for an hour working on a bike. Most people will give it a few seconds, maybe a couple minutes, and if they can't get it they are gone. What is only seconds feels like an eternity when your freedom and life are on the line. Quality disc lock on the rear wheel, quality chain and lock, lockable bike cover and theft coverage on your insurance. For me, lo-jack isn't worth the cost. It's more expensive than theft coverage and after a thief has had his way with the bike I don't want it back. All can fit in a back pack and aren't much of a hassle to carry. Never leave it outside very long day or night. If you have to ground anchors are good like bobbypeel said. I always wondered what was available in a marine application for something like this. Something with a real burly chain/lock.
If you're temporarily parked outside somewhere a good little FREE anti-theft trick, bring a stubby flathead with you and remove your clutch lever. No clutch lever and they aren't riding anywhere. Of course if you do this every night outside your apartment they'll just come back with their own clutch lever.
Also - LOCK YOUR ****ING STEERING - DON'T LEAVE YOUR SPARE KEY IN YOUR TRUNK. I can open your trunk with a butter knife, don't leave me your ****ing key in there, jesus. Happens more often than you think. Also, don't leave your TITLE in the trunk, i've seen this too often too. Steering locks aren't that hard to bypass, but they aren't THAT easy either. Sometimes you get the freak one that doesn't want to break and you'll need to come back with a second person. In that time maybe the owner sees the bike and the thief doesn't get it. Had it been unlocked the bike would be gone.
Again, if you park outside of an apartment and your bike gets stolen, rent a ****ing garage or self-storage unit near by to use as a garage. The thief is just going to wait a couple weeks for insurance to replace your bike and come back to check. If someone tries and fails to get your bike the same thing applies. Move it, they WILL be back.
The majority of thieves aren't that smart and half of those are on drugs, please don't be dumber than they are.

It varies depending on yr/make/model/condition. About 10-12 years ago there was an out of state buyer we used to crate bikes to that had the ability to create titles for them who paid $3500 for near new 1000cc supersports. 1,000-1,500 is more typical for super sports. Harleys vary quite a bit depending on model and options, from 1,000 for a basic late model sportster to several thousand for a highly optioned fat boy, road king etc.Yeah, once, we were doubled up on a bike getting a bike in front of a guys house on his lunch break in broad day light, took a little longer than expected, he came out, we ran back to the other bike hopped on and took off. He didn't even chase us on his bike, I was surprised. He looked more shocked than anything. This was 10 or 11 years ago and I still remember the look on his face.
I've had passers by walk right past, it happened on the very first bike I stole, some lady walked her dogs right passed us. There were two of us in riding gear, two bikes, she didn't even look twice. We kept working and rode off. This didn't happen to me, but the guy that got me into all this. He's getting some bike from an apartment complex in the middle of the day and can't break the steering. He notices some guy watching him, walks right up to him and says "Hey man, can you give me a hand, the handlebars on my bike are stuck and I'm about to be late for work." - The guy goes back to the bike and helps him break the steering lock. That guy has some CRAZY stories, he was stone cold and willing to go way way too far. Probably why he's dead now.
Use? the bikes themselves. Even the slowest bike is faster and more nimble than most cars.
There is this common misconception that a few guys load bikes into trucks and vans. The people who get CAUGHT load bikes into trucks and vans. Your career will be very short if you're loading a 185mph rocket (that likely has a tracking system) that will outrun the police into the back of an 85mph van that will take you to the scene of your arrest. If you can't start the bike and ride off then you damn sure can't find and remove lojack.
In 10-15 years I've known a couple dozen thieves and only one that was foolish enough to load bikes into a truck or van for any length of time. He learned to wire them after he was caught, twice, lol.
When I was stealing them it was a part time deal. I had a full time job and just did it here or there. Eventually decided to save all the theft money and came up with 25k and started buying hot bikes. I spent a lot of money to appear legitimate down the road. My goal was to have a legit bike shop, but running a legitimate business was a hell of a lot harder than I thought and took a lot more capital than I had. I only made about 80k/yr after all the overhead. Even now when 80k seems like a tremendous amount of money it still isn't worth the risk I took.

Last edited:
The point of any security device is not to keep your property from being stolen.
It is to make is so difficult to steal or to make it so probable that the thief will be caught that they will select an easier target.

Exactly - Used to live in an apartment building - Alarm on and a good chain with a good lock. One night there were 4 other bikes stolen and they left mine alone.

I moved withing a month as it was just a rental apartment.

The common argument of most physical anti theft devices (such as disc locks) being a waste of time because "they just grab your bike and throw it in the back of a van" seems to be totally debunked there.

I wish he'd have spoke more about the disc lock situation. He touches on some being easily defeated vs others, using it on the rear wheel vs the front (hadn't thought about that, but makes sense), but never really did clarify why or how some are presumably so easily defeated. I have a disc lock that I plan to use in scenarios where my bike is left in less than ideal spot with no other choice (a hotel parking lot for example) - it's better than nothing, and hell, the reality is my bike is at or near the bottom of the list of even remotely interesting bikes for the pro's, but it might keep the spur or the moment amateur from grabbing it for a joyride if nothing else.

It seems here in Toronto the preferred method is the grab and put in a van, at least from condos and apartment buildings. If what the guy is saying its true, it seems that most of our bike thiefs are amateurs so using GPS tracking units might be a good option.

It seems here in Toronto the preferred method is the grab and put in a van, at least from condos and apartment buildings. If what the guy is saying its true, it seems that most of our bike thiefs are amateurs so using GPS tracking units might be a good option.

Maybe but like he mentioned as well...do you really want it back afterwards?

Maybe but like he mentioned as well...do you really want it back afterwards?
Depending of how fast after, yes I would like my bike back. By the time you are done negotiating and tax and registration and depreciation, etc, it is a big money expense to get something comparable, unless you downgrade.

Anyone have recommendations for disc lock brands in general? Looking to get one for my FJ-09; I know about Xena Disc Locks but seems to be a lot of complaints about alarm sensitivity and randomness (eg: going off while in your bag or while the bike is still and parked in the dead of night).

The common argument of most physical anti theft devices (such as disc locks) being a waste of time because "they just grab your bike and throw it in the back of a van" seems to be totally debunked there.

I wish he'd have spoke more about the disc lock situation. He touches on some being easily defeated vs others, using it on the rear wheel vs the front (hadn't thought about that, but makes sense), but never really did clarify why or how some are presumably so easily defeated. I have a disc lock that I plan to use in scenarios where my bike is left in less than ideal spot with no other choice (a hotel parking lot for example) - it's better than nothing, and hell, the reality is my bike is at or near the bottom of the list of even remotely interesting bikes for the pro's, but it might keep the spur or the moment amateur from grabbing it for a joyride if nothing else.

+ 1. I use a disc lock + lock the forks in same situations and then forget about it as I've done all I can. I think odds of someone throwing my 14 year old 800 lb. bike in the back of a van are pretty close to slim or nil.

I keep my bike mechanically sound and dirty in hopes to get that "free pass" he was talking about.

Probably also helps to ride a bike that no one gives a **** about ;)

I just got a Scorpio alarm with perimeter sensor, shock and tilt with ignition kill for less than 200. Very impressed with the alarm. Never have to arm or disarm as it arms itself when I turn the key off and disarms when I turn the ignition key on.

It senses the remote through microwaves and allows me to get close to it# anyone else gets close and it states chirping and ringing.

I wouldn't mess around with lock disks, they are a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
I just got a Scorpio alarm with perimeter sensor, shock and tilt with ignition kill for less than 200. Very impressed with the alarm. Never have to arm or disarm as it arms itself when I turn the key off and disarms when I turn the ignition key on.

It senses the remote through microwaves and allows me to get close to it# anyone else gets close and it states chirping and ringing.

I wouldn't mess around with lock disks, they are a pain in the ass.
What model #? Iirc there are a few i800 floating around for ~$120. I just want one so the fackers at work don't sit on it.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

What model #? Iirc there are a few i800 floating around for ~$120. I just want one so the fackers at work don't sit on it.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk
I got the I800 - The only difference between the I800 and the much more expensive I900 is a little remote with 2 way that warns you if your alarm is going off.

The Equipment is the same and the features and modules are the exact same for both. I personally am very happy with the I800 and wouldn't waste my money on the I900 - I think the difference is like 200 US

I800 remote
scorpion_s_ri800_srfid_security_system_zoom.jpg

I900 Remote
TRS-9_011.jpg

HardWare is the same for both
alarma-scorpio-sr-i800-rfid-con-sensor-perimetral-.jpg

Watch this video for the features - this is for the I900 so minus the 2 way warning. My favourite feature is that it arms and disarms itself - no need for me to do anything as long as I have the remote with me.
[video=youtube;TUGMQeHaGP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGMQeHaGP4[/video]

Last edited:
^ that is really nice!

I think this is from a reddit post a few years ago, but probably never made its way onto GTAM - I remember reading that guy's full story, and all the responses were either "i hate you and wish you'd die" or "i hate you, but thanks for finally getting your head on straight and doing something helpful/constructive with the knowledge you've gained" LOL

^ that is really nice!

I think this is from a reddit post a few years ago, but probably never made its way onto GTAM - I remember reading that guy's full story, and all the responses were either "i hate you and wish you'd die" or "i hate you, but thanks for finally getting your head on straight and doing something helpful/constructive with the knowledge you've gained" LOL

90% of people were happy he was trying to help and appreciated the knowledge, about a 10 percent hated his guts but still were decent to him. The link is the Reddit posts you are referring to.

I think the good attitude is because of the way he introduced himself saying he knows he was a ****** bag.

Last edited:

Few years back they caught a bunch of car and bike thieves when 1 of the cars had a GPS tracker in the frame. They showed up and something like a dozen bikes or so were there as well as a few cars.

Few years back they caught a bunch of car and bike thieves when 1 of the cars had a GPS tracker in the frame. They showed up and something like a dozen bikes or so were there as well as a few cars.
Yep I remember, our own GTAM member R1Timmayy was implicated on that

Yep I remember, our own GTAM member R1Timmayy was implicated on that

and from what I've read, they're all back out in the wild.

and from what I've read, they're all back out in the wild.

And probably back to stealing bikes.

Anyways - Back to reviewing the alarm, In case the remote is lost while the alarm is on, I was able to program a series of left/right turn signal sequences to disarm the alarm.

I used to have a gorilla alarm for years which I sold with my last bike, this one is so much better. The gorilla one never worked properly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom