MTO driver's license history | GTAMotorcycle.com

MTO driver's license history

micelli.i

Hi there,

I was reading the thread on the reinstatement of expired suspended license, and was wondering if anyone know why the MTO keeps a record of your driving history from the day you got your license?

My understanding is that anyone can request a copy of your driver's license, but only up to 3 years. Anything over that and it becomes increasingly difficult.

For example, only the driver herself, a prosecutor or a local enforcement agency (but only with a Court Order), can request the driver's entire driving record. So, why even bother keeping any records of a driver after, say, 5 years?

Even if someone were to have a serious conviction on their license record, it would not be admissible into court for a new offence (I don't think, prejudice?), if the previous conviction was old enough (i.e. > 3 years).

Just curious. Thanks.

They keep the records for a few reasons. Firstly, not sure why you think an enforcement agency requires a court order to view your driving history? Unless things have changed dramatically I could view a drivers record, (now we didn't have in car terminals, but I could run it at the station and dispatchers could see and relay info to us on the road), and when we would go to court it, is plainly printed out for officers to view, (especially if the crown thinks there are other items of interest). Even if an officer stops you and gives you a "warning" that is now included, and if your stopped again by another department the officer can see that you have been warned so you can't say "sorry I didn't know that was an issue"...lol

But the main reason is if someone is suspended then they could simply wait say 6 years and be fully reinstated without having the pay the reinstatment fee. Not to mention what if someone is given a lifetime driving ban by a court? the if the records are only kept for 5 years they can reapply after 6 years...lol Just FYI the MTO can also tell you EVERY vehicle you have EVER registered under your name in the province of Ontario.

As for previous convictions being admissable into court after "ie > 3 years" Of course they are an impaired driving charge, (which triggers a licence suspension), "can" be addmitted to court, as could say a charge of dangerous driving causing death. That isn't to say the "would" be used by the crown merely that they can be.

Not keeping a record of your driving record would be similair in "some" cases to not keeping a record of your criminal convictions. Even minor offences such as shoplifting remain visible to law enforcement and border agencies, unless you had recieved a "pardon" now it is called something different and they can "still see" the conviction but you are essentially "absolved" by the gov't, so you can travel outside of Canada etc.

Last edited:
A previous conviction (even a 20 year old one) is not admissible in court.
It comes under the heading of previous bad acts.
You are not being tried for what you did in the past but for what you are charged with now.
Unless you are dumb enough to make your "spotless" driving record an issue, then it becomes admissible to rebut your claim.
While not normally admissible at trial, if you are convicted it is admissible for sentencing.

Last edited:
If they didn't keep a full record then that would be even more shocking to me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I was reading the thread on the reinstatement of expired suspended license, and was wondering if anyone know why the MTO keeps a record of your driving history from the day you got your license?

My understanding is that anyone can request a copy of your driver's license, but only up to 3 years. Anything over that and it becomes increasingly difficult.

For example, only the driver herself, a prosecutor or a local enforcement agency (but only with a Court Order), can request the driver's entire driving record. So, why even bother keeping any records of a driver after, say, 5 years?

Even if someone were to have a serious conviction on their license record, it would not be admissible into court for a new offence (I don't think, prejudice?), if the previous conviction was old enough (i.e. > 3 years).

Just curious. Thanks.

Yes they do, I got G1 in 1997 and just obtained the history that contained all dates whenever a change to the DL was made like G1 to G2 to G to M1, M2, M etc.

However, I am not sure about tickets but I am sure there is a record of everything somewhere that someone can access if need to.

Last edited:
100% correct, the previous convictions never come up during say trial, unless the accused says "I did not do that, I never would" then the crown says "really what about 3 years ago when you were charged and convicted of the same offence?" lol

Now, as stated previous convictions "can" be used by the JP or Justice, during sentencing. Generally if it is a minor offence, Speeding, stop sign etc, if it is more than 12 - 18 months, (depending upon the court/crown), generally aren't brought forth "to the court".

A previous conviction (even a 20 year old one) is not admissible in court.
It comes under the heading of previous bad acts.
You are not being tried for what you did in the past but for what you are charged with now.
Unless you are dumb enough to make your "spotless" driving record an issue, then it becomes admissible to rebut your claim.
While not normally admissible at trial, if you are convicted it is admissible for sentencing.

Back
Top Bottom