Which club to join for easy rides in Ganaraska? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which club to join for easy rides in Ganaraska?

pgagy

I've been riding on the street for 10 years now, and I finally got a little dirtbike - CRF250L. I have very little dirt experience - I've done the horseshoe valley offroad course, and I've ridden through Labrador on gravel. I wanted to join a club - but there are way too many. Can anyone recommend a club that rides in Ganaraska? I'm mainly looking for easy going group rides for beginners. Who organizes those? I checked the OFTR website, but it doesn't seem like any club is focused on Ganaraska.

There's not really a "club" that does the ganny. They have their own pass you have to purchase to ride there. I would say your best bet would be to join the OFTR and choose SCORRA and/or ODSC a for your "clubs". SCORRA handles a bunch of trails around Barrie. There's a handful of people in the ODSC that ride in the ganny on dirt bikes.

I am hoping to attend a meeting at the Ganny, in Feb as part of our ATV club. I have been told there will be "dirt bike people that the meeting" I will seek an answer for you.

Why are you focused / interested in the Ganny? Not that there's anything wrong with it at all but I believe your CRF is a blue plated bike, right? Come do some rides with some of who ride together (on this forum as well as others) - we have a large variety of bikes and riding skills and some of my "usual rides" include a good day ride from Orangeville to Creemore and back plus Bethany ride tracks that includes some of the Ganny sections themselves. Don't worry about your experience - lots of us here to help...

I've been riding on the street for 10 years now, and I finally got a little dirtbike - CRF250L. I have very little dirt experience - I've done the horseshoe valley offroad course, and I've ridden through Labrador on gravel. I wanted to join a club - but there are way too many. Can anyone recommend a club that rides in Ganaraska? I'm mainly looking for easy going group rides for beginners. Who organizes those? I checked the OFTR website, but it doesn't seem like any club is focused on Ganaraska.

But as for clubs that are not Ganny-specific, check out www.odsc.on.ca and www.oftr.com - much will depend where you live, where you want to ride and the type of riding you want to experience.

The odsc "join" link goes to a 404 error. Wish I could get the info somehow...cost etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I mistype it?

http://www.odsc.on.ca/.xenforo/index.php

Here is the link for the oftr: http://www.oftr.ca

once you join the OFTR, you can choose one or any number of riding clubs (like the ODSC or SCORRA as examples). Again, the clubs themselves really depend on where you are and the type of riding you want to do. Having said all that, remember that a blue plated bike allows you to ride on roads and road allowances, just not actual forested trails and the OFTR membership helps pay for trail maintenance and a voice in the government to help create policies or change them in our favour on our behalf. The OFTR membership is cheap and cheerful

OFTR gives you access to trails in places like Simcoe County forests and maybe Dufferin County forests in 2016 (under negotiation now). Plenty of people still access those trails without paying any membership or dues to any clubs but I believe in trying to do my part so if I'm not going to drive to the trails with a shovel and chainsaw in hands to clear and maintain trails, I'm happy to pay some money annually for those who are kind enough to do that work so we can enjoy all the a,aging riding that we have easy access to.

No you typed it ok...Its just the ODSC website that is broken when you press the "join" button at the top it goes nowhere.

http://www.oftr.ca/membership-info.php

Thanks Alon...I didnt know I needed to be member of OFTR to go in trails. I will go read that website properly.

Not really focused on the Ganny - just the only place I know and have heard people talk about. I'm willing to go anywhere really. If you post something up about a ride in the spring I'll definitely join up.

Why are you focused / interested in the Ganny? Not that there's anything wrong with it at all but I believe your CRF is a blue plated bike, right? Come do some rides with some of who ride together (on this forum as well as others) - we have a large variety of bikes and riding skills and some of my "usual rides" include a good day ride from Orangeville to Creemore and back plus Bethany ride tracks that includes some of the Ganny sections themselves. Don't worry about your experience - lots of us here to help...

Keep a keen eye on this forum in this section for rides updates (as well as www.odsc.on.ca in the casual rides section of their forum). Many of us ride weekly if not even more frequently...

So if you are a member of the OFTR can you ride any trails? I see on specific club webpage that you need to be a member with them to ride their event. Any club event better than others? I'm not sure where I'll ride as I don't know the nice trails around but HORRA & SCORRA seem closer to Brampton. (Where I live) Would it be good idea to go with them or just pick ODSC? I know ODSC is a bit everywhere and offer big bike version of some ride they organize. Not sure about the other clubs...any other advantage of being a member at certain clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last few years I've purchased an annual pass for Ganny and rode there exclusively, but this coming year I think I might just pay per day and get an OFTR pass (or something) so I can ride other places.

The only group I know of that regularly rides at Ganny is Trail Tours, but that's not just a meet and greet and ride, it's geared towards teaching you how to ride. They provide everything but you can bring your own bike and gear. This might actually be ideal for you to get some exposure to what Ganny has to offer. Whatever you do, don't go there alone (even just 2 people is a bit scary if something goes wrong). It's a huge place and if you get lost or hurt you might not be found...

Same here, I've been riding exclusively in Ganaraska because of my outings with Trail Tours and because there was no doubt about what membership was required. I'm going to try to check out some other spots next season too, but it is hard to argue with the sheer density of trails in Ganny.

Yeah, for sure. Every time we go there we find something new. The downside is the length of the drive to get there...

I am getting a membership for next year. I am only an hour away from Scarborough. Will be looking for people to show me around next season.

Back
Top Bottom