insurance hikes 2016 (Toronto Ontario) | GTAMotorcycle.com

insurance hikes 2016 (Toronto Ontario)

After reading many posts about T.D. insurance I was dreading to receive my renewal. Today it came by mail and my insurance went from $617.00 to $1,234.00 for my Suzuki Boulevard 800 cc bike. Was just at the Toronto bike show and got flyers from riders plus and mantha. No points, good record and licensed for over 30 years. The best I could find is $1,065.00 from Dalton Timmis.

Where is the justice here? My car insurance is less expensive than my bike insurance and the riding season is so short here. Perhaps a group ride down to queens park protest?

Regards,

unhappy rider!!

Lots of threads on this recently.

Your Dalton Timmis quote sounds high though, must be your location having a big effect. I'm in the process of moving my VTX1300 to Dalton Timmis, liability only just under $700, full coverage just over $1K, and although I have 4 years of experience from 20 years ago I stupidly let my M2 expire and am effectively starting out all over again now, so that's the rate I'm getting despite all the odds being stacked against me and a significantly bigger bike than you on top of it all.

Is your 30 years of experience motorcycle licence, or car? One doesn't translate to the other. How many years motorcycle?

But I think your postal code must be working against you somewhat, you apparently live in a high risk area.

How old is your bike and how long have you been riding? Your quote sounds really high, like you are classified as a new rider.

2006 model and have had a motorcycle license since the age of 16 but had a lapse in many years. Only until the last 3 years that I have had continues insurance.

2006 model and have had a motorcycle license since the age of 16 but had a lapse in many years. Only until the last 3 years that I have had continues insurance.

Gotta be your location that's causing the high rate then. Not uncommon...I'm guessing you are unfortunately paying the price for the (apparently) statistically lousy/risky driver area you live in. No other explanation why with basically 3 years less insurance history than you, same insurance company, bigger bike...I have a lower rate.

You have a 10 year old bike, so did you get liability only? or comprehensive? deductible? You should ask why your quote is so high as compared to this year.

Gotta be your location that's causing the high rate then. Not uncommon...I'm guessing you are unfortunately paying the price for the (apparently) statistically lousy/risky driver area you live in. No other explanation why with basically 3 years less insurance history than you, same insurance company, bigger bike...I have a lower rate.

Hi PP, Try Desjardin insurance, I have 2004 VTX 1300C and Liability only is $603 and full $975, but I'm on a hunt for cheaper insurance as well, gonna try the lady from EaZ8's posting in this forum, hopefully I can get better.

Here is her info.
Melissa Jones
Team Leader
Drivers First, part of Arthur J. Gallagher Canada Limited

1270 Central Parkway West, Suite 200, Mississauga, Ontario L5C 4P4
direct: 905.366.3873 | fax: 905.361.0500
Melissa.Jones@cgbgroup.com | www.cgbgroup.com

Call from Carlos from Cornerstone Brokers, they are one of the sponsers on the website. Carlos gave me an amazing price for my bike. I guarantee his quote will be the lowest you will find!

His contact information is 1-800-263-2369 ext 167

Hi PP, Try Desjardin insurance, I have 2004 VTX 1300C and Liability only is $603 and full $975, but I'm on a hunt for cheaper insurance as well, gonna try the lady from EaZ8's posting in this forum, hopefully I can get better.

Here is her info.
Melissa Jones
Team Leader

1270 Central Parkway West, Suite 200, Mississauga, Ontario L5C 4P4
direct: 905.366.3873 | fax: 905.361.0500
Melissa.Jones@cgbgroup.com | www.cgbgroup.com

i just heard from her that shes been opening policies for quite a few guys saying i sent them.
glad she has been able to help them out.

Call from Carlos from Cornerstone Brokers, they are one of the sponsers on the website. Carlos gave me an amazing price for my bike. I guarantee his quote will be the lowest you will find!

His contact information is 1-800-263-2369 ext 167
How can you guarantee that? what is the guarantee? do you have to give us something if you are wrong?

How can you guarantee that? what is the guarantee? do you have to give us something if you are wrong?
my broker got my 600rr down to $650/year

cornerstone wouldnt even talk to me and i have a clean record and over 30...

It's guaranteed until it's proven to not be the case. Then the guarantee has expired.

Your milage may vary.

Wash, rinse, wipe hands on pants.

Where is the justice here? My car insurance is less expensive than my bike insurance and the riding season is so short here. Perhaps a group ride down to queens park protest?

You are far more likely to suffer catastrophic injury requiring intensive and long term after-crash medical care, rehab, and income support if in a crash on your bike than you would in a car.

That cold hard reality drives the high rates. That certain kinds of bikes are more likely to be involved in serious crashes and more serious injuries drives rates for those bikes even higher.

All the group protest rides you can muster won't change that. Given some of the riders that are out there and who tend to gravitate to the kind of bikes most-hard hit by insurance rates, a protest ride attracting too many of them may only serve to reinforce why rates are so high.

By the way, this was the outcome of another protest ride that did little to further the goal of that particular ride. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/motorcyclist-killed-in-anti-helmet-rally-1.1113750

Last edited:
the point is like ciggarette and drugs.

when you raise the price of something too high, you just end up with alot of people opting out.

this wont mean less riders, just less insured people riding.

i can guarantee you that at those typical meets at tim hortons lots, around 1/4 are probably not insured.

people, it makes no sense to simply post your bike and your rate. So many things come into play so if you're suggesting your agent can work magic for someone else, they might be in for a shock.

this wont mean less riders, just less insured people riding.

i can guarantee you that at those typical meets at tim hortons lots, around 1/4 are probably not insured.

Hence why all of us actually playing by the rules and carrying insurance have that little surcharge on our bills for "uninsured motorist". So, the rest of us get to pay a little extra every month for their idiocy.

At least when an uninsured ******* trashes someones vehicle in a wreck they'll be able to get the repairs covered. As for the rest, the person riding without insurance to save a few bucks can expect to be sued into a lifetime of perpetual poverty.

But, I'm guessing all those running without insurance probably don't care about the bigger picture. It's all about the "Now" for many, isn't it?

For most yes it is about the "now" as opposed to long term. Many that ride dirty "convince" themselves of a couple of things, such as:

They won't get into a collision, as they are a good rider, with mad skillz;
As they get a "bit" older, the rates will drop and they will be making more money to spend on insurance, so they'll get it then. Of course it won't be cheaper as they will be considered a "new" rider as they have no continuous insurance coverage;
Their mad skillz will permit them to outrun the cops;
If they do get into a collision it will be the other persons fault so they'll be covered anyway;
The chance of getting caught is pretty low, even if they do, the $3000 per season they saved the last two seasons will cover the $5000 fine. Of course they have already spent that money on other things the needed "now." Plus they don't figure in the MUCH higher cost of insurance, once they have been convicted of riding without insurance;
They are "ENTITLED" to ride, simply because they want to.

But all this is moot, as it "will NEVER happen to them"

Hence why all of us actually playing by the rules and carrying insurance have that little surcharge on our bills for "uninsured motorist". So, the rest of us get to pay a little extra every month for their idiocy.

At least when an uninsured ******* trashes someones vehicle in a wreck they'll be able to get the repairs covered. As for the rest, the person riding without insurance to save a few bucks can expect to be sued into a lifetime of perpetual poverty.

But, I'm guessing all those running without insurance probably don't care about the bigger picture. It's all about the "Now" for many, isn't it?

Just received my renewal from State Farm and my rates have gone up $20 per month.

I reached out to Melissa as recommended by another member on this forum and saved $450. Her details are below:

Melissa Jones

Team Leader

direct: 905.366.3873

I just got my bike insurance with Allstate. combined my home and auto insurance. Im paying a bit more on the home but combined im saving about $120 per month. If i were to do just bike with Allstate they charge $250 fee to do a bike alone. Do other companies have that too? i'm not complaining as service was great from my agent and im saving. Just curious to know what this stand alone fees is...

Back
Top Bottom