Honda Goldwing Interstate Purchasing Help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda Goldwing Interstate Purchasing Help

BikerBob

Hello everyone,

Im looking for some help as to what this bike is worth as I am looking at buying it. It is a 1982 Honda goldwing interstate gl1100 with just under 38,000 kilometers. It looks to be in good condition.

What at would you guys pay for it and what do you think it's worth?

thanks.

Hello everyone,

Im looking for some help as to what this bike is worth as I am looking at buying it. It is a 1982 Honda goldwing interstate gl1100 with just under 38,000 kilometers. It looks to be in good condition.

thanks.

These old Goldwings sell low from what i've seen regardless of shape, Shouldn't pay anymore then $2-2.5k for one in mint condition.

But i may have no clue what i'm talking about either :p

Just watch out for stator problems with those. To change the stator the whole engine needs to come out!

Hello everyone,

thanks.

Inspect the frame carefully for rusting out from the insides of the frame tubes, especially the bottom horizontals at weld points even if it hasn't been winter driven. Also, check the body plastics carefully, as old plastic tends to get quite brittle and spawn cracks. Replacement body panels for a 30+ year-old bike may not be the easiest to source if you need them.

@bikerbob I know of at least 2 1982 Goldwings that are going for around what Drennan57 said; $2k - $2.5k. Those 2 are in Brampton. There's also a place here in da 'bridge that specializes in GoldWings. Fwiw I would start the offer at $1500

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I wouldn't start at $1,500. I would pay $1,500. It's a 1982. The guy will have a tough time selling it.
Maybe go a couple of hundred more if it needs absolutely nothing.
+1 on this. I'd also look for 1985 and up. The 1200 goldwing is a better bike and can be had for the same money. 1984 is also a 1200 model but it is a stand alone model year with some parts not interchangeable with other years.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

thanks.

An auctioneer once responded to a price comment by saying "It's worth what I get for it."

Do you have a special desire for this particular bike or is it something that just just popped up and caught your eye? If it's the latter really think hard about how much you want to get involved financially.

Concerns:

Parts availability at a reasonable price. Plastics are getting hard to find. I don't know about the 1100 but a 1200 battery cover goes for hundreds of dollars.

The bikes are complex electrically with a lot of relays. Also the bike may have seen a number of owners over the 34 years. Some of them may have done second rate modifications as wing riders like fancy lights.

How old are the tires? Does it need rotors?

Can you do all your own wrenching?

Service can be a problem as some shops don't like working on older bikes.

-The bike ties up shop space while waiting for obscure parts to come in
-Parts searches tie up time
-Part B breaks while trying to fix part A and the owner gets mad
-If the owner walks away from a stiff bill the bike value might not cover the hit

I like Goldwings and have a 98 SE but don't care for the 1100's. I had a 1985 1200 and got rid of it for charging reliability issues. I want to tour and need reliability. I picked the 1500 as they are known to be almost bulletproof.

Insurance can be tricky for an older bike. Will the insurance you get match the riding you want to do?

Stators can fail as can regulator / rectifiers. A Honda RR was about $350 ten years ago. They aren't hard to change but the stator is an engine out procedure. I think a poorboy conversion using a car alternator works on the 1100's but don't quote that. 1100's weren't as bad on the stators as the 1200's.

The bike has only been driven about 1100 kms per year. That bothers me unless it has been collector maintained.

IMO on a good day, in perfect condition and certified the bike might get $2500 if you can wait ages for the right buyer. If you're on a tight budget this could end up as garage sculpture.

Old bikes do not get big bucks with a few rare exceptions such as Vincents etc.

A ytx24hl BS battery is $149 at Royal, that is a high end Yuasa for a 1200 goldwing. My 1985 1200 had a poorboy alternator conversion kit. It was very reliable and had tons of extra juice for heated gear etc. The only issue I had with that bike was rear wheel bearings, stock bearings are only sealed one side so I replaced them with completely sealed bearings I sourced at Canadian Bearings.
You don't need a shop if you own a goldwing, the info online is incredible and the goldwing owners association is huge, many local members willing to help you wrench.
If you buy one, pm me if you need any help. I did a lot of preventative maintenance on mine, and I'm pretty well versed in re/re for the driveline, electrical, wheels, belts, carbs and a lot more.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom