Motorcycle Stands | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Stands

All great points guys and I believe you, but as the OP said he was looking for some stands for the garage, oil changes, tire changes, basic use age, not track use age and or ones he will use on a day to day basis..

same me as what I use mine for, and if the Suzuki had a Center stand like the Yamaha or the BMW, I probably would have even bought the inexpensive ones I did, for me expensive ones are not a necessity .

How is garage use any different than track day use?

Pitbull stands are better. Claiming anything other wise is just dumb. Whether or not the extra cost is worth it is another matter... But they are better.

More stable, more durable, easier to work with, easier to lift the bike with.

I have a couple sets of cheaper CTC style stands, they work. I've used better quality stands and when I replace these someday it will be with better stands. There is a comfort level for me picking up $10,000. dollars. My crappy plastic wheels don't make me feel comfortable.

Pitbull stands are better. Claiming anything other wise is just dumb. Whether or not the extra cost is worth it is another matter... But they are better.

To me, the extra cost is worth it, the quality is such that they will outlast me and my bikes.

How is garage use any different than track day use?

Wear and tear...

The typical rider will likely only use them for oil changes/chain lubing, winter storage etc. On the track your stands are going up and down every 15-20 minutes for the duration of the day....over a handful of trackdays that's a lot more use than the average rider will put fhem through all year.

Thanks for all the responses. It was pretty clear that Pit Bull is the top of the food chain here, but the price difference between that and the
Venom package deal is kind of extraordinary. $103.59 for the Venom, front and rear, and through BSR the Pit Bull Combo looks to be $560.90 (both prices before taxes). That's an extraordinary difference, and while I know from experience that it's a terrible idea to cheap out on tools, that is an extraordinary price difference. There's almost always a point at which extra costs start producing diminishing returns... I mean, I know that Snap-On are the best hand tools, but Crappy Tire kit serves my purposes just fine.

Plus, the reviews on the Venom stands seem to imply that they're very functional. I think that's where I'm headed.

Thanks!

Actually my garage stands get as much use as my race bike stands... They both keep my street and race bike off the ground for about 5 months of the year. Just a point of view. It is funny the **** we are arguing about over the winter lol
Wear and tear...

The typical rider will likely only use them for oil changes/chain lubing, winter storage etc. On the track your stands are going up and down every 15-20 minutes for the duration of the day....over a handful of trackdays that's a lot more use than the average rider will put fhem through all year.

been using cheapo BVP and Venom stands for years. on and off hundreds or maybe a thousand times. No question Pitbull are nicer though.

The venom stands are good well built stands, but not great once you start putting heavier bikes on them. My rear venom stand torques a bit to one side under the Hayabusa weight, so I will need to upgrade at some point. That said, it's been hoisting almost 600 lb bikes for 5 years without failure.

The BVP/Gorilla/Venom (they're all the same) all work but it's like comparing a Princess Auto ratchet to Snap On.

The one thing that's mildly annoying with the cheap stands is their 3 part construction. During use at some point they will shift and you'll have to push or pull on them to get them to fit the bike again.

The way the Pitbull is built that will never happen.

Is that worth it? Only you can say. I also used the cheaper stands for many years... They do work.. But Pitbulls are just so much nicer.

Thanks for all the responses. It was pretty clear that Pit Bull is the top of the food chain here, but the price difference between that and the
Venom package deal is kind of extraordinary. $103.59 for the Venom, front and rear, and through BSR the Pit Bull Combo looks to be $560.90 (both prices before taxes). That's an extraordinary difference, and while I know from experience that it's a terrible idea to cheap out on tools, that is an extraordinary price difference. There's almost always a point at which extra costs start producing diminishing returns... I mean, I know that Snap-On are the best hand tools, but Crappy Tire kit serves my purposes just fine.

Plus, the reviews on the Venom stands seem to imply that they're very functional. I think that's where I'm headed.

Thanks!

Same here i have two sets of Venom for my bikes i never had any problems and actually they work really well. I can't justify spending $630 for PB stands i'm sorry but that's me.

Last edited:
I know the thread has resolved its self, but just a quick thought.

If the 3 piece construction is such a pain (miss alignment, torquing) why not bring it to a friend who can weld. Set it up the way you like for your bike. A few dabs of weld on each joint and it's one piece! Rubber bumpers wear out, wrap it in some hockey tape there or some other material to make a soft contact bumper. If the wheels aren't great, find some cheap wheels for roller blades and slap them on.

Seems like the cheap stand could be modified to be pretty decent for way less than a PB combo. Could even have a nice big handle welded on the stand for more leverage, easier hoisting.

My 2 cents.

Thanks!

The Pitbull stands I posted are $411. Tony usually offers free shipping on orders over $100

Still quite a bit more than the others but not the $560 you posted. Were you looking at the head lift stand?

If you are looking for quality stands I must say Tony is the man to talk to. Almost all of my purchases have been through him in the last year or more, he has the best prices, is a short drive for me in London and is genuinely an awesome guy. +1 for Bluestreak!

I know the thread has resolved its self, but just a quick thought.

If the 3 piece construction is such a pain (miss alignment, torquing) why not bring it to a friend who can weld. Set it up the way you like for your bike. A few dabs of weld on each joint and it's one piece! Rubber bumpers wear out, wrap it in some hockey tape there or some other material to make a soft contact bumper. If the wheels aren't great, find some cheap wheels for roller blades and slap them on.

Seems like the cheap stand could be modified to be pretty decent for way less than a PB combo. Could even have a nice big handle welded on the stand for more leverage, easier hoisting.

My 2 cents.

I can fix these weaknesses (some people can't), but others should know that the cheap stands might require you to fix their problems. If I knew going in that I would have to fix these, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

I got a Hindle rear stand and a Venom triple tree stand from Kijiji for less than 50 bucks each.

I couldn't find a pitbull swingarm stand with paddles. They seem to either use pins (for single sided swingarms) or spools.

Pitbull are the best option.
i have 2 sets.
1st Front is head lift
2nd front is forklift with the Hybrid Converter so it can also lift from the head
http://www.pit-bull.com/product/F0100-001.html

1st rear is spool lift
2nd rear is spools or the paddle type that just lifts from the swingarm which is basically jsut adding this $40 option to a regular rear stand
http://www.pit-bull.com/product/F0028-001.html

i also have removable handles on all the stands except i think that the front that is a hybrid is a fixed handle.

Riders Choice can get you any pitbull product. they stock quite a bit of them.

Last edited:
Here's my two cents:

If you plan to leave your bike sitting on two wheels except for occasional maintenance then get cheap stands. Find something used on Kijijijiji! It's just a bloody stand! Kapscomoto's rear spool stand is perfectly fine, for example. For storage purposes (on the front) get a triple-tree stand. If you intend to use a rear spool stand quite often, then set your mind at ease and just buy a Pitbull (one-piece) stand. Better yet - find one used.

Back
Top Bottom