Inching towards killing the moto industry in the GTA | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Inching towards killing the moto industry in the GTA

What does this crap really matter?
Let's get real.
If the insurance companies had a big problem they would have forced the govt. to implement graduated bikes...everyone starts on a 250 cc.

Because the insurance companies will never have a big problem as long as they can charge whatever the fak they want to anyone on any kind of cc range.

They're making profits off bikes. No complaining will happen

And personally i don't see a problem with an incremental hp/lbs permit, just like what europe has.
That system is part of the reason the honda 500 series was born. Can be used/sold worldwide with the same platform/engine and meets the requirements of the learner permit.

oh wow... the supersports have gone from $1100 to $1300 plates in our neighbouring province.

Good post! One area that I feel is not utilized by the Moto Industry is the ability of motorcycle dealers to try to pressure the Ontario government to get insurance rates reduced for bikes. There are lots of riders out there that would own 2 or 3 bikes if they could afford the insurance. No one rider can ride two bikes at once and responsible riders won't allow others to ride their toys. Riders with multiple bikes could sign a modified OPCF 28 form that is used to exclude specific drivers from using a car.

If we could get all the bike clubs, bike dealers etc to lobby the insurance industry and government there would be an increase in multi bike owners which would be beneficial to dealers, and increased sales taxes to the province.
Just my two cents worth.

Good post! One area that I feel is not utilized by the Moto Industry is the ability of motorcycle dealers to try to pressure the Ontario government to get insurance rates reduced for bikes. ...

Never going to happen as long as motorcycles rank alongside cigarettes and booze in the government's nanny-state narrative. We and our hobby are considered a vice to be tolerated, not an industry to be embraced.

If every voting-age rider joined a single, cohesive, single-minded political action group we'd only wield ~200,000 votes. That may garner the attention of political candidates but then there's that little problem of why insurance costs in Ontario are so high: Fraud. Perhaps the first step would be to clamour to deal with fraud and let the economic side of things settle naturally.

but then there's that little problem of why insurance costs in Ontario are so high: Fraud. Perhaps the first step would be to clamour to deal with fraud and let the economic side of things settle naturally.

Yep. It's no secret fraud is the issue.

Some people think ripping off an insurance company is a victimless crime, but then the rest of us get our bills in the mail and become the victims.

I'd be interested to see the motorcycle specific suspected fraud statistics. Much like someone else mentioned in a different reply, I suspect it's similar to snowmobiles: "My sled is kinda old now, the shine has worn off...OOPS, it just went to the bottom of the lake. Woohoo, insurance will buy me a new sled!".

Again, I'm not being apologetic towards the insurance companies, just saying..some people aren't seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to a very root cause of a significant portion of our problems here in this province.

I've posted a link to this story before, but for those who haven't seen it, it's a good read. http://business.financialpost.com/f...ontarios-auto-insurance-system-is-a-car-wreck

The new attitude around here is ever man for himself.
Why would they care if your rates will go up with the fraud they will perpetrate? They are scamming for tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of $$.

slap people will jail time and splash their faces on tv, that's a good start to curbing it.

There's another thread archived here that had a question about investigating fraud. Apparently it's not worth the money or time because it's so rampant. So the next logical band aid solution is to jack rates.

Much of this was covered in an article last year in Inside Motorcycles, including discussions with transportation managers in Toronto and the police, general gist is a lack of motivation on the part of government coupled with bad attitudes towards rider in general, the idea is to get the same support behind us as there is towards the cyclists in this city. but we have to be accepted as valid alternative transportation for that...

Much of this was covered in an article last year in Inside Motorcycles, including discussions with transportation managers in Toronto and the police, general gist is a lack of motivation on the part of government coupled with bad attitudes towards rider in general, the idea is to get the same support behind us as there is towards the cyclists in this city. but we have to be accepted as valid alternative transportation for that...

This, but also the cost of commuting .. Not whole lot of difference between, my car and a bike, and of course gas is much cheaper than let say in Europe. You add the unfavorable laws here, it's a no-brainier that I rather drive the boring commute with radio and heat. As stated many times .... Difference between toy and tool.

This, but also the cost of commuting .. Not whole lot of difference between, my car and a bike, and of course gas is much cheaper than let say in Europe. You add the unfavorable laws here, it's a no-brainier that I rather drive the boring commute with radio and heat. As stated many times .... Difference between toy and tool.
But in most cases, gas consumption on bikes is a lot lower. And downtown has free parking for motorcycle. And im pretty certain my commute is shorter (and definitely is more enjoyable) on bike than in car.

I won't commute by car... it's not worth the extra:
$15-20 in parking lot/day (lets avg it down to $10 since most people will get monthly passes)
$40 in gas/week
Time spent not moving and lack of mobility

Just these 2 quantitative measures represent an extra $300 per month.
So personally i don't see it as a toy. I decided not to get a 2nd car and to get a motorcycle instead, partially because of those savings and the cost of a new bike vs 'new-ish' car.

Unfortunately, the way i see it doesn't apply to everyone. And even to those who it would apply to, they won't necessarily see motorcycling as the better alternative making it a toy instead of the tool it should be.

gas consumption on bikes is a lot lower

Not that much. Modern cars are crazy efficient. I recently rented a Volvo V60 Crosscountry that averaged mid 7s per 100kms over a trip to Bruce County and back. Most sensible bikes average what, 5L/100kms?

Not that much. Modern cars are crazy efficient. I recently rented a Volvo V60 Crosscountry that averaged mid 7s per 100kms over a trip to Bruce County and back. Most sensible bikes average what, 5L/100kms?

Old '84 Honda V-twin 500cc: 4L/100km 58.8mpg highway or city
2016 Honda Fit: 5.9L/100km 39.9mpg highway
2016 Honda Fit: 7L/100km 33.6mog city

Commuting by bike while more enjoyable, is quite a bit more dangerous.

Old '84 Honda V-twin 500cc: 4L/100km 58.8mpg highway or city

I assume that by "city", you don't mean Toronto proper. My mileage varies wildly based on whether I just putt around town or go on a day trip, from high 4s to high 7s.

I assume that by "city", you don't mean Toronto proper. My mileage varies wildly based on whether I just putt around town or go on a day trip, from high 4s to high 7s.

I do most of my riding around Scarbrough, so outer Toronto proper. My mileage in the summer varies little, 25km/litre.

Staged accidents are happening all the time.. If you can think of how you would be blamed for an accident, they try and place you in the "at fault" position. Use that hyper awareness riding has given you to predict the moves of these scum..

Just a day or so ago, an older man slammed on his brakes suddenly for no reason RIGHT after an intersection light turned green. This person was in the front of the line. I was second. He passed fully through the intersection, then suddenly slammed REALLY hard on his brakes. Not being an idiot, I kept a good distance, and moved to the lane right beside him (emergency lane to his left). There were no cars other than me and this guy.. since he was at a full stop I rolled past him and when he realized that I avoided him.. he accelerated so hard his Toyota corolla tires squealed a little bit, I looked over at this dude.. he looked to be in his 60's, and he ****ing smiled at me.. and his tiny engine couldn't bring his cars speed up fast enough, I re merged into the lane ahead of him.

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/how-to-handle-staged-car-accidents.php

Scams and Fraud are the biggest problem.

Bike specific.. I know a guy through another friend, who I feel like is involved in the insurance theft scam. This person only owns bikes for 2-3 months at a time. His bike is stolen without fail like clockwork anytime something goes wrong with his bike. Or he buys junker bikes and fixes them, and then they promptly get stolen. Always SS bikes. Always in the same spot. I think this person has had 8 bikes stolen in the short time I have heard of him. Another reason why its so expensive to insure a SS, because there are people living off of this scam.

Thanks for the link @-JEROCHO-
So glad I finally got a dash cam

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

But in most cases, gas consumption on bikes is a lot lower. And downtown has free parking for motorcycle. And im pretty certain my commute is shorter (and definitely is more enjoyable) on bike than in car.

I won't commute by car... it's not worth the extra:
$15-20 in parking lot/day (lets avg it down to $10 since most people will get monthly passes)
$40 in gas/week
Time spent not moving and lack of mobility

Just these 2 quantitative measures represent an extra $300 per month.
So personally i don't see it as a toy. I decided not to get a 2nd car and to get a motorcycle instead, partially because of those savings and the cost of a new bike vs 'new-ish' car.

Unfortunately, the way i see it doesn't apply to everyone. And even to those who it would apply to, they won't necessarily see motorcycling as the better alternative making it a toy instead of the tool it should be.

Most definitely not .... I will go out on a limb saying that you are large minority. Fuel is 2l/100 better on my bike, but with 30km a day, it's nothing at the end of the month. Bike yields only 5mins difference, still the same frustration with boring ride mostly in straight line. Cannot lane split, nothing .... Big negative, weather, comfort, limit errands during a day and on the way home.

Sorry to sound negative, but if I lived in Robinsville, NC we both know what I woul commute on, but it's not the case .....

If I lived in Europe, it' s also clear that I would have one of the big scoots .... You save ton for parking, gas and hours weekly cutting your commute times. It's just common sense.

Back
Top Bottom