KTM Super Adventure opinions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM Super Adventure opinions?

jc100

Anyone buy one of these? What do you think of it? Playing around with the notion of trading in my Tiger and getting something different in the big adventure bike bracket. I like the base equipment list on this bike and it seems to have a decent(ish) entry price.

I've seen them out on my trips in the southwest and talked to a couple owners. They were newer to them so the happy new toy mindset was in play , but mostly everybody was happy with all the features and performance. Not inexpensive, but really nice toys aren't.

I've seen them out on my trips in the southwest and talked to a couple owners. They were newer to them so the happy new toy mindset was in play , but mostly everybody was happy with all the features and performance. Not inexpensive, but really nice toys aren't.

Thanks...compared to the beemers (big GS) they are a few thousand cheaper with a better base equipment set and a little bit lighter too so it seems.

I have the 1190 adventure and love it great power and comfortable on the highway.

Sent from a device using a program

Just in case you don't like it, don't trade in the Tiger. Leave it in my garage; I promise to give it at least a minimum of riding to keep the fluids from setting up. L

You might consider the Yamaha Super Tenere as well. Good value and probably less expensive to maintain long term.

You might consider the Yamaha Super Tenere as well. Good value and probably less expensive to maintain long term.

Price for the Yamaha is good but the weight is up there. It's a very heavy bike. The difference may not be huge with the KTM but it is a difference and the one complaint I have with my current bike is that if (when) it tips over it's a bugger to get back up and low speed stuff on very uneven ground is not that fun plus it's not really the best at off road stuff. Yamaha dealer is closer though (20 mins or so) as opposed to KTM which for me is 1.5h away at GP Bikes for the closest (I'm in Kingston).

Price for the Yamaha is good but the weight is up there. It's a very heavy bike. The difference may not be huge with the KTM but it is a difference and the one complaint I have with my current bike is that if (when) it tips over it's a bugger to get back up and low speed stuff on very uneven ground is not that fun plus it's not really the best at off road stuff. Yamaha dealer is closer though (20 mins or so) as opposed to KTM which for me is 1.5h away at GP Bikes for the closest (I'm in Kingston).

Yes, 60lbs is a lot, but the Yamaha is a couple of grand less expensive, has a shaft drive and for '16 comes with hard bags + when on the road there are very few KTM dealers out there vs. Yamaha. Your choice though.

Yes, 60lbs is a lot, but the Yamaha is a couple of grand less expensive, has a shaft drive and for '16 comes with hard bags + when on the road there are very few KTM dealers out there vs. Yamaha. Your choice though.

True...but I hardly ever take my Triumph to a dealership...only when absolutely necessary. I'll take another look at the Yamaha too although the pedigree of the KTM is appealing.

I'll take another look at the Yamaha too although the pedigree of the KTM is appealing.

It's a racing pedigree however. And that reputation also includes maintenance-intensive care and attention.

I've met a lot of motorcycle overlanders traveling on all sorts of equipment. KTMs owners are always fixing their bike. Beemers have their issues as well, but nowhere as numerous as the Katooms. Of the three, Yamaha have the best reputation for reliability, however that may just be because there are fewer of them out there, so less anecdotal evidence.

It's a racing pedigree however. And that reputation also includes maintenance-intensive care and attention.

I've met a lot of motorcycle overlanders traveling on all sorts of equipment. KTMs owners are always fixing their bike. Beemers have their issues as well, but nowhere as numerous as the Katooms. Of the three, Yamaha have the best reputation for reliability, however that may just be because there are fewer of them out there, so less anecdotal evidence.

Thanks...that's the feedback I'm looking for too. Comparing your blog to the other one using a KTM it certainly seemed like there were a few more issues with the KTM. Price is a factor though and new the BMWs are several $k above the others mentioned.

The Japanese pulled motorcycling out of the dark ages and continue to put out a fine product. I would give them a chance while the old guard is still running the show. The new crowd coming up don't even date girls, I can't see that affecting quality in a good way going forward. OTOH the Chinese are coming on stream with some stellar products, if Arizona online reviews are to be believed, and the workers there are designed specifically not to date girls so quality will not suffer. My trouble free Apple computer was built by a virgin.

They aren't stellar, they are serviceable. Not quite the junk many that have not seen them would have you believe. But I'm not one for letting the facts get in the way of a good story.
I'm looking at my Triumph Tiger, a not adventurous adventure bike, made be the company that kept motorcycles in the dark ages before cycling was rescued by the Japanese. I think it was built in Thailand , certainly not the Midlands of UK, and at the asking price which I did not pay, the previous owner had his first pc of arse on the saddle. He was asking emotional money and this bikes no virgin.

If it was my money, I'd be dropping it at the ktm dealer hands down. Long term the Yamaha may be less expensive to own, but the ktm has the fun/wow factor in spades. The whole reason I ride is the fun, I'm very passionate about motorcycling, sometimes you gotta think with the heart.
If you've never ridden a ktm, you won't quite understand. There is no "middle of the road" ktm. They are all performance machines. Are they unreliable? No. Do they require proper maintainence more often than other machines in their class? Probably. Is it worth it? Yep.
Note that I don't own a 1190 or 1290 adventure, but if the budget was there I wouldn't even blink. Todd at Mission Cycle in Angus has been kind enough to let me test many bikes. The 1190 adventure was one of them, awesome bike, I'm even more jealous of scuba Steve and Chase now that I've ridden one.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Can't speak for reliability or service having never owned or ridden one. They do have a strong following of people who love them, just as people do with BMW. The bike has great standard features, the warning with that is once you have it, you can never go to something with less. I have ever bell and whistle on my BMW R1200GSA and could not imagine going to a bike without all the features I have. Once you get used to it you get hooked.

I love adventure bikes in general, they are great all around bikes that do a lot of things well... not perfect. From getting groceries to crossing the continent. Don't think you will be disappointed with any of the big ADV bikes. BMW has done an amazing job with the new WC boxers, Triumph XC1200 is a great looking bike, KTM, Yamaha, don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Can't speak for reliability or service having never owned or ridden one. They do have a strong following of people who love them, just as people do with BMW. The bike has great standard features, the warning with that is once you have it, you can never go to something with less. I have ever bell and whistle on my BMW R1200GSA and could not imagine going to a bike without all the features I have. Once you get used to it you get hooked.

I love adventure bikes in general, they are great all around bikes that do a lot of things well... not perfect. From getting groceries to crossing the continent. Don't think you will be disappointed with any of the big ADV bikes. BMW has done an amazing job with the new WC boxers, Triumph XC1200 is a great looking bike, KTM, Yamaha, don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Best advice so far. Pick the one YOU like the most, with the dealer or network you prefer and buy it. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Might be better to wait for the new Africa Twin

for what it's worth I couldn't fathom buying any bike that I planned long tours in possibly less than optimal locale and climate if there was any reliability concerns.
Purchases of passion are for toys that you take on a 30min ice cream trip. Try pushing a 550lb adventure bike around the block

Back
Top Bottom