Spot GPS locator/messenging | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spot GPS locator/messenging

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Leaving for Australia in a couple of weeks and exploring the EPIRB scene. Spots are around for as low as $50 and need a subscription.

Anyone have alternatives or feedback on the SPOT or others.

TIA

Good idea. Hopefully can buy subscription by month not annually

I've not looked into these in great detail, but I believe the spot is a yearly subscription that can't be suspended, the delorme inreach can be suspended during the time its not needed, but is more money for the device.

SPOT is not an EPIRB.

There are the EPIRB (PLB) which derived from marine PLBs.

SPOT globalstar sat network

Delorme iridium set network

I looked in to this because I do a lot of backpacking and winter solo multi day ski trips(let that sink in...).
By far the most reliable devices that will let someone know you are in trouble are the PLBs like ACR ResQLink. Unfortunately they are one way and you won't know if the signal was received. Another issue with them is that they have limited number if tests. ResQLink can only be tested twice, then the battery runs out. Batteries are not supposed to be replaced but it can be done. They don't require a subscription.
Delorme inreach is a really nice unit that I will probally get. Two way communication and it's seen way better than spot.
Spot... lots of negative reviews.

Last edited:
Spot is reported to have some 'brown out' places on the planet, parts of Aus have been apparently over the years part of the problem , it may be fixed.

I use an Inmarsat /Iridium sat phone. The fees aren't cheap and you need to be conscious to make a call. I've phoned home from the middle of the Pacific, it was like calling from 3 blocks away.

On my North trip I used a Delorme InReach SE, and I chose it over the Spot for a couple of reasons.

1 - they use different satellite networks, and the Delorme has much better coverage in the north and the south.
2 - at the time the subscription options for Delorme worked better for the more infrequent user
3 - via BT connectivity to my iPhone / iPad, I could use the satellite service to send text messages and stay in contact with folks back home. The two-way communication is really, really good. Think being able to send a text and get a weather report from someone back home for where you're travelling tomorrow, when there's zero coverage. Also you can customize "quick messages" to just ping folks back home when you've stopped for the day so they worry a bit less.

IIRC, the DeLorme was a bit more expensive in terms of the original cost, but the subscription costs were less expensive.

Zero regrets. Would buy again.

I have the Spot. I've used it in North America and Europe when I was deployed in Germany and the coverage is excellent. I don't know about Oz, but I have read coverage can be a little patchy in the Center and North

I thought I read somewhere that you can rent Sat phones for short periods in various places.

I like a one button solution that can be tracked. Sat Phone doesn't do that. I do have a Sat phone but no plan at the moment and plan is $$.

Back
Top Bottom