Non-messy way to get brake pistons out? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Non-messy way to get brake pistons out?

Matt Rain

Site Supporter
Need to replace the seals in all 3 calipers and I don't have access to air - I will probably end up using the brake lever(s) while the calipers are off, but I'm afraid I'll get brake fluid everywhere that way. Is there another trick to do a clean job?

do it in a pail?

I don't even like the air method, because those pistons fire out pretty quick, and fingers become endangered if one piston stays behind and requires a little more air pressure to eject. Posting in thread hoping that somebody posts a brilliant solution

do it in a pail?

I guess I'm looking for a miracle solution that doesn't involve covering the caliper in brake fluid. But I suppose that if I wipe them down quickly enough, the paint will probably survive (?)

Last edited:
I guess I'm looking for a miracle solution that doesn't involve covering the caliper in brake fluid. But I supposed that if I wipe them down quickly enough, the paint will probably survive (?)

Oh that. I rebuilt master and front caliper (rear is drum) last week from dry sitting on shelf. New fluid is synthetic DOT4. I made a huge mess mucking around with vacuum pump and leaky containers and what not. The synth 4 does not seem corrosive at all. Even got some on my dungarees, stain yes but no burn. FWIW. Maybe have the pail filled with water?

Compressed air, grease gun or caliper piston tool. Thats it, thats all. When using compressed air, if you put a piece of wood or something in the caliper the pistons won't fly out and take out the nearest window.

There is a piston tool to remove them from the calipers.

I bought that. The pistons on the FJ are huge so the tool is at the extreme end of its reach. Not nearly enough grip to move the dirty old pistons.

I would buy a cheap small compressor. Good for airing tires too.

As for Kwestrel, put a block of wood between the caliper to stop the piston

I used a block of wood! I did everything by the book, the trouble was that with the calipers split, a block of wood sat flush with the face of the caliper and easily kept the pistons in the caliper body. So I had to finesse a little space between the block and body and it was a bad time

if its stubborn, some rubber on some channel lock pliers if you need a little extra grip, but be careful not to deform the piston

I don't even like the air method, because those pistons fire out pretty quick, and fingers become endangered if one piston stays behind and requires a little more air pressure to eject. Posting in thread hoping that somebody posts a brilliant solution

The caliper I did was Brembo P08 which splits in half. Put one half of caliper on edge of work bench piston up, lay small piece of plywood over (this also blocks transfer port) "C" clamp in place. Apply air. BYU (bobs your uncle)

edit: just read post#10. Stack wood with relief for piston. BYU

Last edited:
That Motion Pro tool is too small for my application. FJ pistons' inner bore is a whopping 33mm. Tool stops at 28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom