TD start march 1- rate increase | GTAMotorcycle.com

TD start march 1- rate increase

Just wondering if your paying for a full year of insurance ahead of time , NOT installments, can one delay insurance start to lets say the month of May , verses their automatic new insurance renewal of march 1 every year for me with TD. as my insurance went up from $496 to $754. I called them up and got them down to around $630 for 2million, 3000 kms, soME extra medical, no accident forgiveness or $611 if i go to 1 million. Still got to shop around dont want to tie my other insurance to my bike.

Riding a 1996 suzuki gs500 , M License since 1969, no tickets, no other insurance with TD. I remember when you could buy 6 month insurance. Some guy told me there was a way to insurance for less time in a year without getting dropped the next year.
debating on dropping motorcycling all togeather and riding a bicycle.

Anyone got a better rate or less insuranced months in a year way?

I'm pretty sure they will have this figured out such that you can't work the system.

Shop around. Call a broker. There are a few listed in this thread.

Premiums are pro-rated for months that you normally can ride, so you might get a very tiny little eensy weensy miniscule amount off for April if you start in May.

By starting in may I would be saving 15 percent that why I was thinking of doing it . I was wondering if anyone else had tried this every year. or they didnt allow a renewal if you cancelled at the end of febuary when your insurance runs out. Going to have to ask them.

I JUST cancelled my insurance with TD due to the 30% increase they wanted. Their policies "normally" run from 01 Feb each year renewal date and you pay 7 monthly installments from Mar - Oct yearly. They prorate. I would very surprised if you would save 15% by starting one month later. Im voed everything over to Allstate who were $450 per year less than TD for full coverage on my 2010 Roadstar 1700.

...my insurance went up from $496 to $754...

Riding a 1996 suzuki gs500 , M License since 1969, no tickets...debating on dropping motorcycling all together and riding a bicycle.

Anyone got a better rate or less insuranced months in a year way?

You need to shop around. There is no benefit to staying with your existing insurance company. You are a low risk older rider with an old bike, non-SS, so need only liability. I'm sure you can get a much better rate than $500/yr. You've been riding 15 years longer but I'm similar to you with an '84 Honda 500cc cruiser, liability only, $250/yr with The Personal.

There is no benefit to insuring shorter than a yearhttp://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Farm-policy-Want-to-know-your-Penalty-Refund, because during the winter your prorated insurance premium is almost $0. This means that your yearly premium covers mostly the riding season months, and if you cancel for the winter you will get almost nothing returned.

attachment.php

By starting in may I would be saving 15 percent that why I was thinking of doing it . I was wondering if anyone else had tried this every year. or they didnt allow a renewal if you cancelled at the end of febuary when your insurance runs out. Going to have to ask them.

This is about right. So you would not pay premiums for Feb, Mar and April. From the prorated chart you would save 2 + 4 + 8 = 14%. You would also not be able to ride in late Mar and April.

A bicycle would be much cheaper for insurance, and better for your health. A moped or very small scooter would have similar insurance to your GS500, unfortunately. At 500ccs you are at the insurance sweet spot for most ccs per $.

Last edited:

You are correct with the carriers we use. You save 5% in March and 10% in April. Keep in mind by doing this though, you lose any sort of continuous insurance discount that you may have qualified for.

I checked Allstate insurance, I can get a 30 percent discount if I ride a 750 cc or greater. the guy showed me on his chart for harley he just did. I been riding a 500cc to beat the high insurance for greater ccs. it applys to bikes over 750 , but has to be tied to home or vehicle. I have property insurance with them non personal , they cant give me the 250 discount that you would get if you had your house or car with them. BS. same as TD in the end. Tried a another broker and he told me my chewed down priced at TD to 630 is a good deal, he sells jevco( intact) , says most insurance companies have bought out by the biggys. Still looking, taking alls advice he and thinking about it.

If you limit your riding to certain months of the year you can pay just for those. I had a friend who ONLY rode for trips. so he accepted having no insurance (or any coverage) on months he wasn't paying for an if the bike was stolen out of his garage then its his loss and no one else's.

He would take a trip in May and pay for the month of May. When May 31st rolled around he cancelled it. He went on a trip in August and started a 'new' policy in August 1st and ended it August 30th. and kept no policy the rest of the year.

If you can accept that, it would work out for you.

X2 the other suggestions to shop around. No need to stay where you are. I just switched to Dalton Timmis and am paying around the same as your new quote...with a 1300cc bike and vastly less history than you.

You should be paying way less.

Make some calls and take your business elsewhere.

looks like TD pulled a boner by raising everyones rates, when I cancelled they were trying to back step to with in last years rate by about 30 bucks. Ended up going with riders plus for 435 with echelon, where as the lowest td would go was 518. I had chewed them down to 587, but on not renewing they started to try working with me. dont tell me that there not making money? Raise your insurance 50 percent and then when you cancel, there willing to give to you for what you paid last year. Riders plus( echelon) got swammed due to tds greed, and new sign ups. thanks all for the info.

Back
Top Bottom