2 years or older Motorcycle with no fuel gauge | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 years or older Motorcycle with no fuel gauge

Re: 2 years or ***earlier*** Motorcycle with no fuel gauge

The Triumph air cooled modern classics, as some refer to them as, have no fuel gauge. Bonneville, Scrambler, and Thruxton, as well as the America and Speedmaster.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Re: 2 years or ***earlier*** Motorcycle with no fuel gauge

I've never, ever had a fuel gauge on any motorcycle. You don't need one. You have a reserve, that's all you really need. I get about 450km per tank. I just zero the odometer when I fuel up, it's far more accurate than a gauge.

Isn't the same true for fuel injected? It makes no sense that the wheel would lock up unless that bike had some crazy engine braking.
Yes DAMHIK :D

When touring, it is a good idea to know how far a full tank of fuel will take you.
On my bike its about 350 km.
So I reset the trip odometer each time I fill up and refill at about 300 km, regardless of what the fuel gauge says.

Thats a true statement,, but my driving can range from 5L/100 km,, to 10L/100 km,, so.. I can run out at 200km,, sometimes I can ride to 400km on the trip meter........ wildly inaccurate gauge, no petcock, no reserve ,,,

A carburetted bike will not lock up the rear wheel when the gas is low and you need to flip to reserve. The bike simply slows down as if the throttle was closed.

If you're driving at speed.. and it runs out... your right...it will just slow down... but in that awkward situation where you start it.. warm it up,, and about to do a sloooow speed start, or just getting going,, and it chugs!! there isn't enough momentum to keep the rear wheel spinning,, but just enough momentum to make it hard to stop from falling over! ... it seems easier to screw up slowly than at speed... yes,, you could blame that on poor clutch/fuel ...

I've never, ever had a fuel gauge on any motorcycle. You don't need one. You have a reserve, that's all you really need. I get about 450km per tank. I just zero the odometer when I fuel up, it's far more accurate than a gauge.

Ok,, my Road King doesn't have a petcock,, so no reserve... above replies apply.... but one thing i have noticed... is it really seems that when I get low on fuel... the bike goes into "limp" mode... the throttle response is much less... you know, like it is running out of gas.. but it has carried me over 10km to the next gas station this way.....
I envision a tube in the tank that has a large hole until the level gets below 1 liter left,, then it has to draw the remaining fuel thru a small hole in the side of the tube... I dunno.. crazy idea.. but tooooo many times I have driven in the 10L/100km mode.. and used up my fuel quicker than I anticipated by the trip meter... wildly inaccurate gauge was no help, and no petcock, no reserve ,,, but didn't have to walk either..

I had another bike where the petcock main tube had broken off.. so It was always running thru reserve tube ,,, It worked fine for a long time as I was filling before I needed to ....... but that one day, I ran out! ? ! ? ,, reserve didn't work.. so I didn't "think" to look at the gas level........ another friendly biker stopped by.. I explained... he said,, you sure its not out of gas... and just to prove he was wrong.. I opened the cap to see an empty tank!! ............ he went and got me gas WOW.. and I went home and pulled the petcock to find the tube missing..
weird things happen.

Back
Top Bottom