New to Canada questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to Canada questions

Yur Maun

Hello, I’m from Northern Ireland and will be working in Canada in 2016 and 2017.

Road Racing is my game. Last year I was racing 600 (Honda 600), Super Twins (Kawasaki 650) and 250GP (Honda RS) in the Irish Road Racing series.

It seems like there are 4 local race series here, RACE, SOAR, CSBK and VRRA. I know the VRRA are the vintage crowd but can someone explain the difference between the other 3? It’s not that clear from their web sites although I think CSBK is national, is it similar to BSB?

Are there classes for the above bikes? I would think the 600 is fine but what about the Twin and the 250

I’d also be interested in the process of getting a license. I have a MCUI and FIM license at the moment. Is that something that is transferable, is there a national licence like the MCUI or does each body have their own and will I need to do race school with each organization?

I’m wondering how strict the medical examinations are? I’m still nursing a niggly shoulder injury, but I’ll be able to ace the drug tests as I don't touch them. Does each organization have their own doctor or can I just get a GP to sign off.

The questions may seem basic but I have no idea. Thanks

Well,, there is no drug test or medical required to date. Not that it should not be required it just isn't. Also we don't have the numbers in this sport that you may be use to in Ireland. Nor is the sport as popular as in the 80's.
RACE and SOAR are regional based. They both run out of one facility. SOAR is Grand Bend,, RACE is Shannonville Motorsports Park. Some like each track and some don't. Grand Bend is a narrower track, probably much in width like the street race courses you have in N. Ireland. Shannonville is an older established track,bit wider but bumpier and older pavement. But in each case the same for everyone.
I like both venues, each have their pro's and con's but they have classes for all bikes. Usually at least two races for each of the bikes you point out.
CSBK is the National series but ,Canada being so big it is hard to take the show across the country. They would have a class for the 600.
VRRA is the Vintage series and most likely the one with the biggest entries. It would have a class for the RS 250 in their 2 stroke class.
It would also have the largest grids in the 2 stroke category.

License should be eligible to use to acquire any of the above licenses. So you would need to purchase a license for each organization.
Canada does have an affiliation with the FIM , but that is through the CMA, Canadian Motorccyle ***. But the CMA does not run any respected road race
events in Canada ,at least around here,other then Motorcross, some Flat track and mini roadracing. So any FIM respected license has no real weight here as each of the above orgs
run their own events and the CMA does not have any affiliation. [now that in itself is another story]
So depending on where you will be living and what bikes you wish to ride will determine what organization best suits you. Also bring or discuss with each organization your history and any past proof/accomplishments you have prior to going to the track.

John
Feel free to contact me at bickleracing@sympatico.ca for any questions

Last edited:
Hi Yur Main, welcome to Canada

I will give you info on the pieces I am familiar with and let others respondent to the rest.

CSBK is the NATIONAL Canadian Superbike Championship. It runs Pro and Amateur classes. Here is for all the information you need http://www.csbk.ca/

SOAR is the Southern Ontario Association of Racing - This is Club Racing located in the West end with classes also including Pro and AM. here is the website, for motorcycle classes and rules look at the rule book. All races are at 1 track (Grand Bend).
http://www.soaracing.ca/

RACE is another Club Racing associated located in the East end also with Pro and AM classes. Also running out of one track (shannonville)
http://www.shannonville.com/ - not sure if there is another website.

Edit: Wrote at the same time as John above

Hello, I’m from Northern Ireland and will be working in Canada in 2016 and 2017.

Road Racing is my game. Last year I was racing 600 (Honda 600), Super Twins (Kawasaki 650) and 250GP (Honda RS) in the Irish Road Racing series.

It seems like there are 4 local race series here, RACE, SOAR, CSBK and VRRA. I know the VRRA are the vintage crowd but can someone explain the difference between the other 3? It’s not that clear from their web sites although I think CSBK is national, is it similar to BSB?

Are there classes for the above bikes? I would think the 600 is fine but what about the Twin and the 250

I’d also be interested in the process of getting a license. I have a MCUI and FIM license at the moment. Is that something that is transferable, is there a national licence like the MCUI or does each body have their own and will I need to do race school with each organization?

I’m wondering how strict the medical examinations are? I’m still nursing a niggly shoulder injury, but I’ll be able to ace the drug tests as I don't touch them. Does each organization have their own doctor or can I just get a GP to sign off.

The questions may seem basic but I have no idea. Thanks

Thanks John and ZX600. It sounds straight forward.

I've living in Toronto so it looks around the same distance east or west.

Would I be able to race the RS in vintage? Its a 2004?

Thanks John and ZX600. It sounds straight forward.

I've living in Toronto so it looks around the same distance east or west.

Would I be able to race the RS in vintage? Its a 2004?

Here is the VRRA rule book. You can find the info on periods and such in there. I am more in the "New Bike" side of things :)
http://www.vrra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/VRRA-Rules-Dec-2014.pdf

UNless I miss understood and you mean the vintage classes in RACE and Soar? I believe the rule is 12 years old from the current year so I think 2004 would be ok. Someone else can help you better

Last edited:
also depending on your level, the race series is more competitive than soar, but not as much as csbk,

The RS250 is too new to be true "vintage". SOAR has a Formula 2 Stroke class in the rulebook, but it has been inactive due to lack of demand. The best place for that bike is actually the VRRA's Middleweight GP class, which is for factory 2 strokes of any model year. www.vrra.ca and the rulebook is linked in a post above. VRRA runs four events per year - this year, Shannonville, Grand Bend, Mosport err CTMP, and Calabogie (which is a great track). If you want to ride at different tracks instead of the same one every round, this is where you want to be.

SOAR has a Lightweight Twins class and your Kaw 650 is perfect for it. You can also enter a couple of other classes with the same bike. Last year, RACE ran the same class rules as SOAR; I have no idea what RACE plans for this year. Obviously that bike cannot run at VRRA since aside from the modern 2-stroke GP class, "vintage" means 1989 or before.

Best to check with the VRRA but I do know the last couple years they have had an open Two Stroke class as an experiment. So they had a class for "any" year. Eddy Brunet ran his RS 250 which is very current and a bunch of others have run late model TZ's as well. I believe it has been a success but I'm not sure if it's still on for this season so best to check.
Mosport is a treat on the 250 so that's a must if you are eligible.
Brian may have confirmed the acceptance of the class in his post above. They usually have the biggest two stroke grid of any series in Canada.

Last edited:
The RS250 can be raced with VRRA, there is a modern 2 stroke class. You can enter it in Grand Prix middleweight and the Vintage Open final on Sunday.

The RS could also be raced with the 600 and open superbike classes as well, with RACE and Soar. I'm not to sure which class it would fit but it could go in middleweight or heavyweight sportsman.

It would be nice to see another 250 at the Vrra, not that many left racing.

If you are just coming to Canada make sure you run Calabogie, racing or track day, on any bike. It makes me smile every time I go around it.

250's with the right rider,can win a Superbike race. Shannonville long track it's been done, a little harder on the Pro Track. Mosport would be a feat but ,,the right bike and rider. Bogie,,,surely do-able. Grand Bend might be hard pending the track they use,,but that's an unknown.
If you can ride the 250 well,,, set your sights on the VRRA and a guy named Eddy Brunet. After that I would look at the Superbike class at each RACE/SOAR. racepro171 will give you a run at RACE. Either way you would have fun.

Thanks to all. This has been extremely helpful,

I've already been in touch with the VRRA and RACE, and I will reach out to SOAR.

Again, the response here has been phenomenal.

//Brian

Thanks to all who replied again.

Looks like it will be RACE and a couple of rounds of CSBK. Everyone was very helpful

i did try to get in touch with the VRRA but didn't get any response. I did speak to a couple of members at a bike shop near Oshawa and they said that the modern Grand Prix class is all up in the air. It's not sure if there will be a class or if it will run with 1970's superbikes. Sounds a bit disorganized and it's a pity as it would be great to run the RS. They said to go to the big motorcycle show in February and they have a booth there.

Anyway. It should be fun and I hope I don't get my arse kicked to bad.

VRRA runs their race series on 4 different tracks. RACE and SOAR run all their races at single race tracks. The VRRA runs a well organized show with a large number of racer entries, don't be discouraged by a lack of response as it is the off season. And they race at mosport and calabogie, arguably the two best tracks in ontario.

Last edited:
Just a note regarding race track names as some have changed over the years. What's 2nd nature for locals may be confusing to new comers:

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied again.

Looks like it will be RACE and a couple of rounds of CSBK. Everyone was very helpful

i did try to get in touch with the VRRA but didn't get any response. I did speak to a couple of members at a bike shop near Oshawa and they said that the modern Grand Prix class is all up in the air. It's not sure if there will be a class or if it will run with 1970's superbikes. Sounds a bit disorganized and it's a pity as it would be great to run the RS. They said to go to the big motorcycle show in February and they have a booth there.

Anyway. It should be fun and I hope I don't get my arse kicked to bad.

Can't wait to see you out!
Will you be in Pro or AM?
I have a feeling if you have been racing those bikes you won't be getting your arse kicked .haha

Back
Top Bottom