Selling a bike in winter - how to demonstrate running properly? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a bike in winter - how to demonstrate running properly?

DECIMIS

I was going to wait until spring to sell my bike (Ninja 300), but I'd like to do it now if possible - so I can buy my next bike now and be ready for spring!

Sorry if this is a simple question, but how do I demonstrate the bike is in proper working order? I recall reading somewhere it's bad to start and idle your bike in winter (something about moisture getting into the system, maybe?).

Even idling it doesn't demonstrate things like transmission, steering head bearings, etc.

Any thoughts, insight or opinions are appreciated. The bike is in perfect working order and I would like any potential buyers to feel confident about this.

I've never sold a used vehicle before, or purchased used privately. I searched "selling bike winter" and got no results.

Thank you in advance!

A Ninja 300 isn't going to be needing head bearings yet...Even the oldest is one will only be three years old as of this riding season. I did my 250 at 60k km and oem ones were still ok. Most noobs don't even know what head bearings are...

Also idling your bike once or twice isn't going to do anything, people just really love spreading stupid bs like this.

Best way to demonstrate its running properly short of being able to take it up and down the street on a half decent winter day is to put it up on a rear stand. You can stand next to the bike and go through gears to show the buyer the tranny is good.

Last edited:
^^^ yup he's right. If you have a serious buyer, offer to get it certified (after a deposit, of course)

Thanks Ronin and Steveo! Makes sense and pretty simple - I will do as you guys recommended. Much appreciated!

If there's an underground parking garage near by (mall, hotel, office building, etc.), you could demo it there...even if you have to pay for parking.

Good Luck!

Just make sure the engine reaches operational temperature after starting. Removes the moisture

Running it once or twice isn't too bad. Ideally you would run it long it enough to get some heat into it, but that could take a long-*** time depending on how cold it is that day. My factory jetted GS500, for example, would basically never get warm enough if it's -5 or colder

However, as a buyer that has gone through this many times, I would prefer to avoid checking out a bike in the winter (unless it's a rare bike or a really good deal) because some bikes just aren't going to run well (or at ALL) if it's very cold out. I'm talking about lean-jetted carb'ed bikes or bikes with early EFI (or bikes with wimpy starters/electrical systems). If a seller can get the bike started, that means it runs, but if they can't, it doesn't mean it wouldn't run if it was warm out... so it tells me a little but not a lot.

Thanks Road King, RockerGuy and Kestrel - all sound like good suggestions, advice and comments. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

Also idling your bike once or twice isn't going to do anything, people just really love spreading stupid bs like this.
It attracts moisture like a sponge, actually, so it's hardly BS. The same reason people who have cars that only do short commutes in the winter (and never really get up to temperature) find that their exhaust systems are always rotting out.
Just make sure the engine reaches operational temperature after starting. Removes the moisture
Not really but better then nothing.
I agree. If I was the buyer I would refuse to buy the bike unless I saw it running and was at least able to run the transmission through the gears to make sure there's no bend shift fork or something, for example...so one of the tradeoffs of making the sale is that you're going to have to do something less than ideal as part of the process...but it is what it is, get it as hot as you can before shutting down.In the grand scheme of things one winter start isn't going to result in catastrophic failure of anything....the issues start to occur when it becomes a regular occurrence, ie..the person who starts their garage-queen once every week and lets it run for 5 minutes thinking they're doing a good thing. All that does is draw moisture into the engine, drivetrain, exhaust etc etc after shutdown that never gets burned off until spring when the vehicle gets out for a good (proper) drive. You're not going to tell me getting moisture in places where it shouldn't be, and then letting it sit there for an extended period is not somehow bad.

Last edited:
You've decided your selling the bike, so go ahead and start it up. Issues, if any are down the road. Literally.

Wait until spring to sell your bike. You'll have more buyers in the spring, and prices will be higher. You'll get a lower price if you sell in winter. Buyers really cannot test the bike with a test ride if the temperature is below +5C. Test riding is hard enough in warm weather, much less having to deal with extra gear and windchill. I would never buy a bike in the winter.

I'd have to agree with regards to waiting until spring. As soon as the weather turns and everyones minds are suddenly back on the summer-toy track you'll not only have more people looking, but will indeed get money for it.

5-6 weeks at best of we get an early spring, 8 more weeks at worst. Unless you're in desperate need to move it for some reason...wait.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - when we're not fighting GTAM is a really great community. The voice of reason has prevailed, and I will wait. Winter blues and thinking of spring... Thanks again, you're all a huge help. :)

Rather than running an ad in the spring, or in conjunction with, maybe consider asking in the general forum how to sell the bike. Like "should the garage door be closed or open when the potential buyer shows up?" or "should I shake his hand like hail fellow well met or give him the cold limp fish?" This feigning of dullardness will get the bike out ahead of the curve.

Rather than running an ad in the spring, or in conjunction with, maybe consider asking in the general forum how to sell the bike. Like "should the garage door be closed or open when the potential buyer shows up?" or "should I shake his hand like hail fellow well met or give him the cold limp fish?" This feigning of dullardness will get the bike out ahead of the curve.

:lmao:

Dropping knowledge. Sage advice from the wise master, I must study his ways further...

ORRURNQ.jpg

It attracts moisture like a sponge, actually, so it's hardly BS.
well, it attracts moisture like a bottle of beer... take a cold beer and put it out in a hot humid day... and it condensates like crazy! ,,or attracts moisture......... but a cold bike in a cold dry air garage will condensate a little.. but hardley worth worrying about... imho.
also.. it is very hard to heat up a bike on the stand... it needs HP to get heat.. just advertize it.. when an offer comes in near your price.. then ask the buyer if they want to hear it run...
I throw a moving blanket over it.. and a 100w trouble light under the engine for the night.. and the next day... varoooooom! ... buyer is happy.. money exchanges.. and help him load it !!!
you may find no one wants to pay your price till hell freezes over.. or the opposite way around... and the cold weather problems are gone

Good Luck!

I think people over think stuff. Put an add, someone is serious enough to come and see it? turn it on and let it run until the fan comes on. Anytime I sold a bike, there were never more than 3 or 4 people actually coming to see it.

Lots of misleading information here. Water is a byproduct of combustion. Water is there regardless of temps. You let it sit there because you don't boil it off. Easy for the internals to rust, plus you get a nice mayo sludge in your engine

Inset key, turn ignition on, push starter button, demonstrate.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom