Goodwill - All 16 locations closed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Goodwill - All 16 locations closed

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
So, out of nowhere, all 16 Goodwill locations are closed. That's over 400 people, many of them disabled, who are now out of work without warning. The reason given? "Cash flow problems."

Very sad. I'm actually looking to donate a ton of clothes and decided on Goodwill. No real reason but I heard/read that they're the best people to give to due to their social work and programs, as well as hiring disadvantaged people. Didn't want to take it to Value Village.

Now I'm looking for suggestions to give away clothing...any recommendations very welcome.

Did not know the employees were union members CAW, learn something new everyday.

Mimico, green donation boxes are around most large retail parking lots if you want to donate clothing.

Mimico, green donation boxes are around most large retail parking lots if you want to donate clothing.

Thanks, what charity do they go to though? I've seen a few of them around the No Frills in our area.

Just be careful, some "charity" boxes just resell the clothes at flea markets and such. Oasis is a good one that operates green boxes, they sell to VV or textile Mills to fund their programs.

Salvation army is too God Squad for me. If you can't accept everyone you get nothing from me.

Mimico - how about a men's shelter? Most homeless shelters have drop boxes.

Or how about our new Syrian Canadians? They need help too.

St. Vincent De Paul I highly recommend.

Charity run thrift stores are not all created equal.

I shop around and find the best gently used and reasonably priced to the public there.

Goodwill? Not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, out of nowhere, all 16 Goodwill locations are closed. That's over 400 people, many of them disabled, who are now out of work without warning. The reason given? "Cash flow problems."

I am wondering about this situation... very sad example of mismanagement.

By the way, do you know that Goodwill CEO is Keiko Nakamura? knakamura@goodwill.on.ca

Do you remember her? Keiko Nakamura was the CEO of the Toronto Community Housing Corp. She got fired during the spending scandal, when auditors found "lavish staff spending and slopping procurement practices".

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/03/17/axe_falls_on_tchc_head_keiko_nakamura.html

Is this just a coincidence?

By the way, do you know that Goodwill CEO is Keiko Nakamura? knakamura@goodwill.on.ca

Do you remember her? Keiko Nakamura was the CEO of the Toronto Community Housing Corp. She got fired during the spending scandal, when auditors found "lavish staff spending and slopping procurement practices".

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/03/17/axe_falls_on_tchc_head_keiko_nakamura.html

IF this is the same person then WTH. How does that person get a job right away from such a public failure.
I guess she was the only talented person that could do the job as CEO/CRAPo.

It's a charity, why are they unionized.
How do they fail, they get FREE products.

You get free product, but you still have rent and overhead and union wages. If you cant cover all your overhead you close stores.
I will bet, and its just a suspicion, the salaries at the top of that totem pole are a sight to behold.

The salvation army is a good charity, yes fairly God squad in presentation, but over the years I've had a lot of interaction with them and they don't turn anyone away that needs help. They do a lot off the radar with little grandstanding. I'd give them my donations.

You get free product, but you still have rent and overhead and union wages. If you cant cover all your overhead you close stores.
I will bet, and its just a suspicion, the salaries at the top of that totem pole are a sight to behold.

I wonder if Value Village took a lot of sales away from Goodwill too.

The salvation army is a good charity, yes fairly God squad in presentation, but over the years I've had a lot of interaction with them and they don't turn anyone away that needs help. They do a lot off the radar with little grandstanding. I'd give them my donations.

The salaries of two managers were publicized at $250K/yr and $150K/yr.

The SA will turn males away, stating that they're holding beds for females and children toward the end of the day (approaching 12:00 midnight). I've seen it happen.

Goodwill is building a massive new retail location here in Woodstock, easily in the millions of dollars.

it's down the street from their current large location.

Goodwill is still operating outside Toronto it is only Toronto are that is closed.

Sent from a device using a program

Ok, I will step in and run Goodwill.
Simple plan
CEO makes 175k and the pay ladder decreases for everyone below.
We have to drop the Union.
We will provide fair to great benefits.
Marketing campaign to move product and bring about awareness for Goodwill.
We will create strategic partnerships.
Everyone will be included in profit sharing (including part time staff)
Problem solved:D

But seriously, how the hell do people that FAIL end up running other companies.

Very sad. I'm actually looking to donate a ton of clothes and decided on Goodwill. No real reason but I heard/read that they're the best people to give to due to their social work and programs, as well as hiring disadvantaged people. Didn't want to take it to Value Village.

Now I'm looking for suggestions to give away clothing...any recommendations very welcome.

More than a few years ago, the Star did a piece investigating all the operations that collected donations of clothing et al, and Goodwill ended up looking the best as to actually helping the community. Many outfits were just collecting stuff and selling it for profit...

...although knowing this now, I have to wonder how things at Goodwill might have changed

More than a few years ago, the Star did a piece investigating all the operations that collected donations of clothing et al, and Goodwill ended up looking the best as to actually helping the community. Many outfits were just collecting stuff and selling it for profit...

Yes I remember that article. That's why I wanted it to go to an actual outfit that utilizes it for the needy...not to resell a free donation that they got.

If only I had the $ / knowledge to start a charity to properly help I'd do that. But I don't, and I don't want a company to simply profit from a donation of mine...in that case I'd rather just dump it in the garbage.

I will look into the homeless shelter drop boxes as that seems like it'd go directly to someone in need.

Yes I remember that article. That's why I wanted it to go to an actual outfit that utilizes it for the needy...not to resell a free donation that they got.

If only I had the $ / knowledge to start a charity to properly help I'd do that. But I don't, and I don't want a company to simply profit from a donation of mine...in that case I'd rather just dump it in the garbage.

I will look into the homeless shelter drop boxes as that seems like it'd go directly to someone in need.

uhm that does not make sense
you are/were going to toss it in the garbage so who cares if you donate it and someone else uses it.
The middleman has to keep the lights on to keep your item out of the dumpster and useful for another person.
just saying...

uhm that does not make sense
you are/were going to toss it in the garbage so who cares if you donate it and someone else uses it.
The middleman has to keep the lights on to keep your item out of the dumpster and useful for another person.
just saying...

In theory, places like Goodwill are non profit and sell items at a price that will let them break even. Places like Value Village mark up items that are donated to make a profit. Some of the items for sale there are only marginally less than the same item would cost new.

Back
Top Bottom