Deals Gap and The Snake | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deals Gap and The Snake

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Never did post this one up here - and it's winter so what else is there to do but dream of nice roads...

A few of us went on a ride down to the Smoky Mountains just as Hurricane Joaquin was making landfall last October. It was too late to turn around because hotels and vacations days off work were booked, so we rode through it and got rained on almost every moment of our trip except for brief spots here and there. Still an awesome trip!.

Here's a clip of us on the Snake and the Dragon. It's my first edited vid using software, so any feedback is welcome and fail away!
Filmed with an older GoPro 2 and when it's facing forwards, we are on the Snake and when it's faced backwards we're on the Dragon.

Can't wait to go back when it's dry out!
[video=youtube;Xj3yC05RbP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3yC05RbP4[/video]

Happy memories :) A few of us just booked our trip for this year, half at deals gap, half at the snake. Any route/food recommendations around the snake?

If you have never been on Linville Falls Hwy (US221) between Blowing Rock and Linville - that's a really nice stretch with a bunch of waterfalls. It reaches up to similar elevations as the BRP and runs right along side it at a bunch of points. Even though it's very twisty, it can also be a well travelled road - moreso than the BRP.

On the northern section of the Snake, but south of Bristol, there is a road called Denton Valley Rd. It's a nice road that twists through farm country and is a good way to get to and from the Snake. Reminded me of the twisties in Ohio.

We took US321 because it looked good on the map, but it wasn't that good - so don't go out of our way to ride it.

The NC143 up to Roan Mountain is an amazing road.

There was another road I had never been on which was really nice - I think it was VA 88 between Warrensville and Trade.
I'm assuming you already know about NC80, NC226A, NC209/212 and so on...

Not sure about good eats though, because I don't eat meat and usually just do Subway on my bike trips.

When are you going?

End of July, usually we just stay on the 28 somewhere when we go to the gap, it's just such an awesome piece of road. This year we'll try a split trip for the first time staying in Boone.

Thanks for the roads, I'll have a look through them.

Never did post this one up here - and it's winter so what else is there to do but dream of nice roads...

A few of us went on a ride down to the Smoky Mountains just as Hurricane Joaquin was making landfall last October. It was too late to turn around because hotels and vacations days off work were booked, so we rode through it and got rained on almost every moment of our trip except for brief spots here and there. Still an awesome trip!.

Here's a clip of us on the Snake and the Dragon. It's my first edited vid using software, so any feedback is welcome and fail away!
Filmed with an older GoPro 2 and when it's facing forwards, we are on the Snake and when it's faced backwards we're on the Dragon.

Can't wait to go back when it's dry out!
[video=youtube;Xj3yC05RbP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3yC05RbP4[/video]

Great video, enjoyed it immensely. Too bad about the rain maybe next year you can do it again in the sunshine.

Sweet video Shane, I've never been down there but its coming. The editing came together really well and of course the sound track was perfect, good job.
That one signal is very custom by the way, well earned I assume.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Thanks!
That's now my fifth right turn signal and I'm just gonna leave it as is...

If by red bike you mean mine (it's actually the Suzuki burnt orange) then it's a V-Strom 650.

Thanks!
That's now my fifth right turn signal and I'm just gonna leave it as is...

If by red bike you mean mine (it's actually the Suzuki burnt orange) then it's a V-Strom 650.
Not too tempt you but Motorcycle Mike has been parting a vstrom, might have a spare.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Nice work Shane. Was the music one of your mixes?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Nice stuff. What is the rear camera and how is it mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
The rear camera is the GoPro Hero 2.
In the pic below you can see where there is a mount on top of the rear brake light housing and just below the seat keyhole.
IMG_3730.jpg

Wishing I was back there right now, even with all the rain it still was an amazing trip. Some of the best roads I have ridden yet.

Back
Top Bottom