supersport insurance | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

supersport insurance

While it might seem like the "right" thing to do, Why is it the dealers responsibility to advise anyone to check insurance before they complete the sale?

I agree. It would be the proverbial angel and devil on my shoulders though..one telling me to just make the sale and profit from it, the other guilty as hell knowing the person I'm selling the bike to has no idea that the insurance is either going to be impossible, or financially crippling...either way, unrealistic.

I don't know. I just feel bad for people getting themselves into things they shouldn't be on the backs of someone else who darned well knows better. Unless he showed up at the dealership, at 25 years old, and passed himself off as someone who has been "riding for years with lots of experience and insurance history", there's no way in hell that the salesperson that sold him the bike didn't have it in the back of his head that this poor guy was going to get the shock of his life when he actually tried to insure his purchase.

As for getting out of the deal, I think that'd be a goodwill thing on behalf of the dealer honestly - AFAIK there is no "cooling off period" with vehicle sales like there are with many other contracts, so if the dealership puts profits before customer service he could be stuck with it...and given as how I suspect SS's are getting rapidly harder to sell, they may play hardball...not actually wanting the bike back in their showroom again.

I agree. It would be the proverbial angel and devil on my shoulders though..one telling me to just make the sale and profit from it, the other guilty as hell knowing the person I'm selling the bike to has no idea that the insurance is either going to be impossible, or financially crippling...either way, unrealistic.

I don't know. I just feel bad for people getting themselves into things they shouldn't be on the backs of someone else who darned well knows better. Unless he showed up at the dealership, at 25 years old, and passed himself off as someone who has been "riding for years with lots of experience and insurance history", there's no way in hell that the salesperson that sold him the bike didn't have it in the back of his head that this poor guy was going to get the shock of his life when he actually tried to insure his purchase.

As for getting out of the deal, I think that'd be a goodwill thing on behalf of the dealer honestly - AFAIK there is no "cooling off period" with vehicle sales like there are with many other contracts, so if the dealership puts profits before customer service he could be stuck with it...and given as how I suspect SS's are getting rapidly harder to sell, they may play hardball...not actually wanting the bike back in their showroom again.

Yes some of it will be a good will gesture on the dealerships part. But they won't be able to complete the deal as the finance company will NOT pay them for the bike until the loan is finalized. One of the conditions of the financing will be that the bike have full insurance on it BEFORE they will release the funds to the dealer. If the buyer can't provide proof of insurance, NO financing, NO deal, so the dealer still ends up with the bike. That is why I said the dealer "may" play nice and just stick him for whatever deposit he put down on the bike.

He is in a catch 22. he can't legally try to sell the bike to someone else, as there is a binding contract for the bike so neither party at this point can sell the bike. If the poster can't provide financing, then the dealer would be wise to let him out of the contract, otherwise he doesn't get paid for the bike and he likely is not going to want to go to the hassle of going after the buyer for the funds, (which he likely doesn't have hence he is trying to finance the bike).

Of course the dealer can insist he get insurance, It is not that insurance isn't available, merely that affordable insurance isn't available. AT that point he could take delivery of the bike start making payments and hope he can recover some of his costs, (even if he paid off the loan asap there will still be financing charges and fees).

Hope he makes it out of this with a not too costly lesson learned.

Last edited:
Jay...any followup? I'm guessing you've had the opportunity to call around now and get some numbers?

Jay...any followup? I'm guessing you've had the opportunity to call around now and get some numbers?

Shhhh he is still recovering from the cardiac arrest he suffered after getting the numbers. Or he got the lowest possible quote $0, just ride it dirty, with a fake pink slip.

Fake pinks aren't worth the paper they're printed on anymore, the police can verify them in-cruiser now in about 10 seconds. Might as well just carry nothing and be upfront about it when you get stopped - at least you'll just get hit with the no-insurance charge, instead of that with a furnishing false information charge stacked on top of it.

Just spotted a GSXR750 pop up for sale on the MGSO Facebook page...by a guy named Jay.

edit: Just noticed the year doesn't match, coincidence perhaps.

Putting blame on dealer is a total cop out. If that were the case, no honda dealer would ever sell a civic (highest insurance small compact)

Customer need to do research.

It is however in the best interest of Supersport manufacturers to lobby the government to solve the insurance problem or they wont be selling many bikes in the future.

Sure, but "more expensive" or not, most people can afford to insure a Civic in the end. An extra $50/month vs one of the alternatives isn't going to make a significant difference, most people, even the kids with which the Civic seems so very popular, can still afford it. There's not a lot of "I couldn't afford the insurance for my Civic" stories out there, but the same can't be said for motorcycles I think we'd all have to admit.

Selling a supersport race-spec motorcycle to a kid with zero riding experience with a complete and total disregard to the incredibly obvious reality that the likely $1000/month (or more) insurance cost he's going to get quoted afterwards means the kid is probably never going to actually ride it (and will take a bath trying to resell it) is just unscrupulous to me. Worst yet, in the case of someone like this who not only buys but finances the bike and then discovers that without a pink they can't even get it off the dealers lot, well, it seems to me that the dealership is just creating a headache for themselves, one of which they will probably make money from in the end, sure, but one that's probably going to leave a really sour taste in the mouth of a new rider.

Sure, but "more expensive" or not, most people can afford to insure a Civic in the end. An extra $50/month vs one of the alternatives isn't going to make a significant difference, most people, even the kids with which the Civic seems so very popular, can still afford it. There's not a lot of "I couldn't afford the insurance for my Civic" stories out there, but the same can't be said for motorcycles I think we'd all have to admit.

Selling a supersport race-spec motorcycle to a kid with zero riding experience with a complete and total disregard to the incredibly obvious reality that the likely $1000/month (or more) insurance cost he's going to get quoted afterwards means the kid is probably never going to actually ride it (and will take a bath trying to resell it) is just unscrupulous to me. Worst yet, in the case of someone like this who not only buys but finances the bike and then discovers that without a pink they can't even get it off the dealers lot, well, it seems to me that the dealership is just creating a headache for themselves, one of which they will probably make money from in the end, sure, but one that's probably going to leave a really sour taste in the mouth of a new rider.

I didn't read the whole thread but based on what you said a guy financed a new SS from a dealer and insurance is insane.
Simple solution for the dealer is to let him choose a more insurance friendly bike.

Simple solution for the dealer is to let him choose a more insurance friendly bike.

That would be a reasonable compromise for the dealer to make after the fact, although they'd probably still be making some money on the transaction in the end, but fair enough.

It'd be nice if Jay himself would chime back in and followup with what the rest of the story ended up being. I suspect a few of the less than tactful replies scared him off, however.

I didn't read the whole thread but based on what you said a guy financed a new SS from a dealer and insurance is insane.

trade that gsxr for a boulevard.

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of getting my M2 in ontario this spring and want to know what to expect for insurance. Here is my History:

Canada:
Full G licence, have had my licence for 7 years
No tickets, no accidents, no anything basically

USA (california):
Full motorcycle license from 2011 to 2014 (currently expired)
Insured with StateFarm with no tickets, no accidents
Bikes owned: 2008 Ninja 250r, 2005 CBR600rr
I have a letter from state farm showing I have had the policies for these bikes and no claims during the time.

I was thinking of getting something similar to a 2009 - 2012 Zx6r or a CBR600rr. What should I expect?
EDIT: Also possibly considering a 2014 - 2015 ninja 650r.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of getting my M2 in ontario this spring and want to know what to expect for insurance. Here is my History:

Canada:
Full G licence, have had my licence for 7 years
No tickets, no accidents, no anything basically

USA (california):
Full motorcycle license from 2011 to 2014 (currently expired)
Insured with StateFarm with no tickets, no accidents
Bikes owned: 2008 Ninja 250r, 2005 CBR600rr
I have a letter from state farm showing I have had the policies for these bikes and no claims during the time.

I was thinking of getting something similar to a 2009 - 2012 Zx6r or a CBR600rr. What should I expect?
EDIT: Also possibly considering a 2014 - 2015 ninja 650r.

You might be better served by starting your own new thread instead of replying to an existing one...but...here's some thoughts.

- Your US insurance unfortunately won't help you here since it's expired. Since there's now a gap in your insurance history you're starting over again, particularly given as how you're only going to be getting your M2, you will be considered zero experience. Not sure a CDN insurer would offer an insurance history recognition from a US policy anyways even if it was still current, but that's moot particularly given as how you effectively don't even have a motorcycle licence anymore.

- Forget anything supersport. Under 25 and M2 you'll almost certainly be in the $500+/month range. If the bike is financed and you need full coverage expect much, much more. If you owned a 250 in the past, consider buying another - once you get a few years experience and contiguous insurance history, and (more importantly) reach age 25, the SS will be a dramatically more realistic option at that point.

You might be better served by starting your own new thread instead of replying to an existing one...but...here's some thoughts.

- Your US insurance unfortunately won't help you here since it's expired. Since there's now a gap in your insurance history you're starting over again, particularly given as how you're only going to be getting your M2, you will be considered zero experience. Not sure a CDN insurer would offer an insurance history recognition from a US policy anyways even if it was still current, but that's moot particularly given as how you effectively don't even have a motorcycle licence anymore.

- Forget anything supersport. Under 25 and M2 you'll almost certainly be in the $500+/month range. If the bike is financed and you need full coverage expect much, much more. If you owned a 250 in the past, consider buying another - once you get a few years experience and contiguous insurance history, and (more importantly) reach age 25, the SS will be a dramatically more realistic option at that point.

Thanks for the info. I'll start a new thread (copy & paste), one question though, what about the following bikes: 2014 - 15 ninja 650r, KTM RC390, 15-16 CBR 500R.

Thanks for the info. I'll start a new thread (copy & paste), one question though, what about the following bikes: 2014 - 15 ninja 650r, KTM RC390, 15-16 CBR 500R.

Ask for follow up on that in your own thread as well. There are lots of members here that are far more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to specific models and insurability, the blanket "avoid anything supersport" statement aside.

If he has US insurance it would count as being insured. If you are insured in North America, we can give them the years they have been insured. As far as licensing goes, we would also count your license history up to 10 years if I am not mistaken, I would have to check the underwriting guidelines to be sure. This is only if you can provide proof of either. If you do not have your US license and have converted to the CAD license we can probably pull your MVR and see how long you have been licensed for. As for the gap, once the gap is not because you missed a payment or have been denied insurance I am sure an insurer will be able to help you. I haven't read all the posts, but if your under 25 and looking for a SS with an M2 it will be hard.

If he has US insurance it would count as being insured. If you are insured in North America, we can give them the years they have been insured. As far as licensing goes, we would also count your license history up to 10 years if I am not mistaken, I would have to check the underwriting guidelines to be sure. This is only if you can provide proof of either. If you do not have your US license and have converted to the CAD license we can probably pull your MVR and see how long you have been licensed for. As for the gap, once the gap is not because you missed a payment or have been denied insurance I am sure an insurer will be able to help you. I haven't read all the posts, but if your under 25 and looking for a SS with an M2 it will be hard.

Thank you for the info. I've decided to look for a ninja650r so its not a SS anymore. I wasn't able to convert my US licence since it expired over a year ago. I had it when I was studying at the university of san francisco, and after that I went straight for a job in Dubai. So I really didn't have the opportunity to renew it and now its too late. So I have to get my M2 again even though I had a full licence in the states. I still have my Licence Card with me however.

In terms of the letter from statefarm its basically a letter from the underwriters saying i have had the policy from 2011 to 2013 and I have had no claims against it.

Hey Jay try Dalton Timmins.
Same situation as you, I am 25 have been insured driving for the last 9 years. 2 minor tickets. I will be a new M2 rider that will have driver training April 10th.
I was quoted from DT for my 2001 Saab 95 Liability only and my 2014 Ducati 899 Panigale, 5K a year. Cheap considering my circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom