New rider- help needed choosing a motorcycle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider- help needed choosing a motorcycle

Right now is the best time of the year to shop. Yes, you might be dealing with leftovers, but people selling may be very motivated to sell. Do not wait until the season starts, if you can find something now, just get it.

Check insurance rates first!!! That is the golden rule in Ontario.

Disagree. People who were motivated already sold. Now, it's people who are desperately clinging to the idea that their bikes are worth way more than they actually are.

And OP, neither one of these bikes is worth $2,800.

I wouldn't worry too much about prices going up in Spring. Some will, some will not but there will be 10 times more to choose from. Best way to get a good deal is to drive away from Toronto.

... And this thread should be in the new rider section - mods.

Last edited:
Welcome, JMZ. Some good advice here, and ignore the bickering, but get used to it if you're going to hang around here. ;)

Already checked insurance rate and I'll be paying $160 a month for the 250

That sounds really high, did you call around? If you can share your age and a basic idea on your driving record (years licenced, tickets etc?) that could explain things though. FWIW my wife is just getting into riding as well and got quoted about $90/Month on the 250 I bought her to learn on...but she is >40 with a clean record, newly minted M1/M2 or not.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy any bike until you've got a firm insurance quote on the exact bike you're looking at - something as simply as a letter in the model designation can to set off some of the more fickle insurance companies now, and you don't want to make the all too common mistake of buying a bike only to discover the insurance is astronomical afterwards.

And I'll x10000 taking a motorcycle safety course. Not only worth it since you can get your M2 quicker but a lot of what they teach you might very well save your life one day.

scroll down here in general discussion and read the thread "how much is this bike worth" its a 250 ninja with some fairing damage. Offer 1400 and hold your offer amount there. pay no more in my opinion. Fix the cracked fairing up bit and ride. the damage isn't really all that noticeable. I wouldn't finance or spend too much on your first bike. my 2 cents. if your not handy you could find someone here at gta to help you fix it. freakey guy may help ya for reasonable, and could get it mechanical ready/ check over for a safety.

Welcome, JMZ. Some good advice here, and ignore the bickering, but get used to it if you're going to hang around here. ;)

That sounds really high, did you call around? If you can share your age and a basic idea on your driving record (years licenced, tickets etc?) that could explain things though. FWIW my wife is just getting into riding as well and got quoted about $90/Month on the 250 I bought her to learn on...but she is >40 with a clean record, newly minted M1/M2 or not.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy any bike until you've got a firm insurance quote on the exact bike you're looking at - something as simply as a letter in the model designation can to set off some of the more fickle insurance companies now, and you don't want to make the all too common mistake of buying a bike only to discover the insurance is astronomical afterwards.

And I'll x10000 taking a motorcycle safety course. Not only worth it since you can get your M2 quicker but a lot of what they teach you might very well save your life one day.

last paragraph +1

I will be selling a 2013 Ninja 300 in the spring - we could work out an arrangement now if interested.

Original owner, bought new in Feb 2014
14,XXXkm
No mods, never tracked, crashed or dropped
Front tire replaced at 8,000km
New rear tire installed at 13,000km
Spark plugs replaced at 12,000km with iridium (gaps checked)
Air filter replaced at 12,000km with K&N
New chain, front and rear sprockets at 13,000km
Oil changed at 1000, 4000, 8000 (winterized), 12000, and 14000 (winterized)
Starts first time, every time - not a single problem ever
Front and rear stands included
Always garage stored

I was going to list it for $3,500 in a few months when it comes out of hibernation.

Located in Bowmanville
OP, I'd be seriously looking at this deal. Stock, no crash damage, new tires etc, no worries just buy and ride. Plus the remainder of the winter storage is taken care of. It's a win win.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Getting a bike isn't a problem. They're a dime a dozen. Inquire about insurance on a 250 or 300 Ninja first, that may be the deal killer.

That sounds really high, did you call around? If you can share your age and a basic idea on your driving record (years licenced, tickets etc?) that could explain things though.

Was going to suggest that $160/mo for a 250 may not be abnormally high if he's a young'un with an M1 or something. We'd need to know more from him to know if it seems reasonable.

To this I would just add make sure it's a quote from an actual agent, preferably in writing an on letterhead. Online quotes are notoriously misleading...

+1 to this.

Wait until spring, you'll be able to find 300s going for around $3500 and I bet you'll be able to find 250s around the low $2000. My 250 will be on sale for like $1300 but it's got a decent amount of KM on it (might just part it out or give to my gf)

250 is a great bike to start out on, truly allows you to pull the throttle all the way back and get a feel for what it's like to ride. Very forgiving as well when you **** up, tbh my first season of riding it felt fast af. I didn't even begin to want more until my 2nd season. However, you will eventually get tired of the 250. If you do a lot of city riding maybe you won't get tired so quickly since it's so nimble; if you like going on group rides or going on highways then you'll get tired of it real fast. It's also not the best for 2up, it's possible if you're giving girls on campus 30 min rides or so but if you think you're going to bring a girl from a club downtown all the way up north... that's a mission. The Ninja 250 can barely handle highways with 1 person, I wouldn't recommend getting on with 2. I was ready to move up to a 600 a long time ago but I didn't have enough lube to deal with insurance at the time.

$160 monthly is decent for a 250, don't know why people seem surprised. Lowest one I had was statefarm at $125 and that was 4 years ago, some places wanted 300 a month... us young riders gotta pay to play.

ZZR250. Same engine, better frame, dirt cheap. A lot of bikes potentially selling are now in storage which limits selection and effects price. Somewhat of a myth that bikes go up in the spring as more bikes competing for your dollar. I'd hang back and wait for the "right" bike. Multiple examples of ZZR's could be had last year for $1500-ish, now very limited and averaging mid 2's. Sonic Cycle though does have one listed which may be interesting (if the price is right).

$160 monthly is decent for a 250, don't know why people seem surprised. Lowest one I had was statefarm at $125 and that was 4 years ago, some places wanted 300 a month... us young riders gotta pay to play.

That's the thing, we don't know if he's a young or mature rider. If a mature >30+ rider $160/month does seem quite high, particularly when compared against (as I mentioned) the quote my wife received.

But I agree, if a young rider, well, that's probably not bad so long as he called around to multiple insurers and found the best rate possible, not just called one and went with it.

hello, sorry for the late reply.
to answer your question, yes i am a young rider. I just turned 23 yesterday. I have had my g for a few years and have been driving since I was 16. I have no demirit points or speeding tickets in my record, its all clean. I plan to get my M1 by mid February to get the M2 when its nice outside.
Also, thanks for the advice, really helpful. I will be looking into the 2 bikes people post it up and if anything I'll wait around until the spring.

I'd think your quote is pretty good then honestly.

If if you get your M1 and time it for the availability of early motorcycle courses starting in April (so you can get your M2 before you even go to insure your own bike) you may find insurance companies a little happier. Some may offer you a slight discount for having the M2 (to begin with) and for having the Course under your belt secondly.

And as several of us have mentioned the course is well worth the investment.

@Jmz1 Happy Belated Birthday! ? ? ?
Those early season courses get booked up early, check here in the forum for some links as well.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

hello, sorry for the late reply.
to answer your question, yes i am a young rider. I just turned 23 yesterday. I have had my g for a few years and have been driving since I was 16. I have no demirit points or speeding tickets in my record, its all clean. I plan to get my M1 by mid February to get the M2 when its nice outside.
Also, thanks for the advice, really helpful. I will be looking into the 2 bikes people post it up and if anything I'll wait around until the spring.

Keep in mind that the M1 is only valid for 90-days. There's little value in having it when there's still snow and ice on the ground. From mid-Feb you're going to be something like 30-45 days before you can even take the bike out of the garage. Why chew up the validity period when you get nothing from it?

Try to get yourself booked into an M1X course as soon as you can (most should be taking registrations now and will be filling up quickly) and then arrange to get the M1, say, two to three weeks before that.

If you have a bike in the garage licenced, insured and ready to go and want to take it out sooner you can get the M1 sooner but I would resist the temptation to get out too soon. Untrained, cold asphalt with salt and sand everywhere and people not expecting to see bikes out could be a bad combination.

I don't think there will be any insurance benefit to having had an M1 for any length of time. I suspect that to most insurers an M1 is basically the equivalent to having leprosy...

I too, will have a Ninja 250 for sale in the spring, an 09 with 20,000k on it.

It will have new tires and come with a safety certification done by a reputable shop.

OP, look me up when you are ready to buy.

Back
Top Bottom