New rider- help needed choosing a motorcycle | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider- help needed choosing a motorcycle

Keep in mind that the M1 is only valid for 90-days. There's little value in having it when there's still snow and ice on the ground. From mid-Feb you're going to be something like 30-45 days before you can even take the bike out of the garage. Why chew up the validity period when you get nothing from it?

Try to get yourself booked into an M1X course as soon as you can (most should be taking registrations now and will be filling up quickly) and then arrange to get the M1, say, two to three weeks before that.

If you have a bike in the garage licenced, insured and ready to go and want to take it out sooner you can get the M1 sooner but I would resist the temptation to get out too soon. Untrained, cold asphalt with salt and sand everywhere and people not expecting to see bikes out could be a bad combination.

I don't think there will be any insurance benefit to having had an M1 for any length of time. I suspect that to most insurers an M1 is basically the equivalent to having leprosy...

You have to wait 60 days from getting your M1 to upgrade it to the M2.
If you are sure that you'll pass, then doing the M1 in February means that You will get upgraded right after an April Gearing Up course. So there is something to be gotten from doing it earlier. Of course the weather is still a bit sketchy in April.

You have to wait the (correction) 60 days after getting the M1 before it can be upgraded to M2, however you can take the motorcycle course anytime within that window, as long as you don't end up going more than 90 days total at which point the M1 would expire.

So theoretically you could get your M1 April 1st and go for the motorcycle training course same day... You just wouldn't get the physical M2 grade upgrade until 60 days later regardless of having completed the course.

I'm going to try to tie my wife's M1 test so that it lines up about 60 days before the motorcycle course we signed her up for, that way when she's done the course she will walk away with the M2 same day. Since we are both going to be with Riders Plus for insurance they do offer a 30 day grace window after writing the policy to achieve your M2 license and still offer the related discount after fact (it was about $200 for me), so we will actually be able to put the bike on the road a week or two beforehand anyways. The only dance we have to dance is making sure that she actually passes the training course, and if not, get a re-test ASAP - after 90 days total you have to start at square one again. ;)

OP, this all applies to you as well hence why we are sharing.

Last edited:
You have to wait 60 days from getting your M1 to upgrade it to the M2.
If you are sure that you'll pass, then doing the M1 in February means that You will get upgraded right after an April Gearing Up course. So there is something to be gotten from doing it earlier. Of course the weather is still a bit sketchy in April.

Fair enough. The only differences between the M1 and the M2 are:

- M1 lasts 90 days, M2 lasts 5 years
- M2 allows riding on highways with speed limits > 80kph
- M2 allows riding at night and with a passenger

I don't personally see a benefit to rushing through the M1 period so a noob can ride his 250 on the 401 while carrying a pillion, at night. :)

Then again, everyone's situation is different.

Last edited:
Just for insurance purposes it is better to have your M2 I assume

Yes, and no. Most insurance companies are interested (mainly) in "Years licenced", so even getting your M2 the minimum 60 days after your M1 won't result in a huge discount with most insurers in the first year.. as in their eyes you've still only had your motorcycle licence for 30 days in the end. That said, at least Riders Plus DOES discount for having taken the motorcycle safety course. Others don't - I know State Farm couldn't have cared less when I mentioned it. YMMV.

Last edited:
when i was getting a quote. they didn't care if i had a m1 or m2 since im currently unlicensed. my rates wont change until i get that 1 year of riding.

You have to wait the 30 days after getting the M1 before it can be upgraded to M2, however you can take the motorcycle course anytime within that window, as long as you don't end up going more than 90 days total at which point the M1 would expire.

So theoretically you could get your M1 April 1st and go for the motorcycle training course same day... You just wouldn't get the M2 grade upgrade until 30 days later regardless of having completed the course.

I'm going to try to tie my wife's M1 test so that it lines up about 30 days before the motorcycle course we signed her up for, that way when she's done the course she will walk away with the M2 same day. Since we are both going to be with Riders Plus for insurance they do offer a 30 day grace window after writing the policy to achieve your M2 license and still offer the related discount after fact (it was about $200 for me), so we will actually be able to put the bike on the road a week or two beforehand anyways. The only dance we have to dance is making sure that she actually passes the training course, and if not, get a re-test ASAP. ;)

OP, this all applies to you as well hence why we are sharing.
Actually, you have to wait 60 days to upgrade to an m2. At which point, you only have 30 days to get the upgrade done. However you are free to take the course anytime any just hold onto the paperwork until the 60 days has elapsed as Private Pilot suggested.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Actually, you have to wait 60 days to upgrade to an m2. At which point, you only have 30 days to get the upgrade done. However you are free to take the course anytime any just hold onto the paperwork until the 60 days has elapsed as Private Pilot suggested.

Ooops.. my bad, you are correct. I had 30 days in mind from the day you are eligible to take the M2 road test (if you opt for the ministry route vs training) before your M1 expires.

I'll go back and edit my posts. OP, please take note at my mistake.

Hello everyone, my name is John and I just joined this forum. I am a new rider looking to buy my first motorcycle for this upcoming spring. I have been doing a lot of reading and decided to start with a ninja 250. I have been looking for a used one on kijiji and found many but liked these 2 a lot.

Congrats buddy. I know someone who has a 2011 Kawasaki ninja 250 with about 1100Kms completely stock looking to sell for 3500. It hasn't been listed on Kijjiji or anything. Owner is in peel region so DM if you are interested.

1600kms, black, $2000, on kijiji
Poster Contact Information

Date Listed 17-Jan-16
Price
$2,000.00
Address stouffville (London)
View map
Make Honda
Model CBR
For Sale By Owner
Kilometers 1600
Year 2008
Like new with only 1,600 km. never dropped, used vehicle package obtained. Price is firm, willing to trade for snowmobile or sea doo, do not accept pay pal

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom