New rider- help needed choosing a motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider- help needed choosing a motorcycle

Jmz1

Hello everyone, my name is John and I just joined this forum. I am a new rider looking to buy my first motorcycle for this upcoming spring. I have been doing a lot of reading and decided to start with a ninja 250. I have been looking for a used one on kijiji and found many but liked these 2 a lot.

I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles so I was wondering if any of you would help me choose between these two or maybe I shouldn't go with either. Also when picking it up, what should be some of the biggest things to look for when deciding to take it or not. Thanks in advance
Here are the links

http://m.kijiji.ca/sport-bikes/barrie/2010-kawasaki-ninja-250r/v?adId=1109188782&locationId=1700006

http://m.kijiji.ca/sport-bikes/stra...te-black/v?adId=1126596057&locationId=1700213

I'd get the painted one for $1,500.
That's what a repainted Ninja 250 is worth.

Original fairings and paint are a must to maintain resale value.

If not then keep looking. You should be able to find one for $2,000 a $2,500 in perfect shape.
Right now is not the best time of the year because whatever people didn't want to store for winter and was a good deal - already sold. You're dealing with leftovers.

As for advice, there are numerous threads of what to look for or use google.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

That link.

Plus make sure ur not buying anything from a sketchy seller.

Hm also why not consider a 2011/12 ninja 400. 399cc. I bought mine same price as those 250s u liked to.

Or a suzuki drz400...I like the ninja alot better though, solid machines.

Get insurance quotes before u do anything.

Go with someone who knows about bikes also. Or even a friend who knows anything about something. 4 eyes are better than 2.

I have started to look for a Ninja 250 for my girl friend as she has expressed an interest to stop being a pillon and get her own ride. My initial thoughts are as such:

1. Take the motorcycle course to learn to ride, I say this because you mention you are new and have no motorcycle knowledge.
2. Those prices seem high for used 250's, the second one says it has minor damage even. I am under the impression you should be able to get a nice 250 for the $2000 range if you are patient.
3. At the motorcycle show this past weekend in Toronto there was a Honda 250 base model (all red, no ABS) for $3000, brand new with warranty! (Can't remember dealer)
4. Don't let fender eliminators, flush mount signals, exhaust and other extra's influence you or the price. These are all none power adders that original buyers are all trying to recoup their money on, these additions really add no new value to the bike and can be added to a stock bike by you for relatively cheap, exhaust can be pricey but on a 250 is just money down the tube.

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure there will be more experienced 250 shoppers that can chime in. Happy riding this coming season.

Both are overpriced. I strongly recommend you have someone who knows to look for go with you when you find a potential good buy.

If the motorcycle does not have an Ontario ownership, pass.
Getting out of province bikes registered in Ont. is a pain, especially if you are not the original owner.
If it has no ownership at all, do not walk away, run away.

Check the frame carefully. Almost any damage to a motorcycle can be repaired except to the frame.
It would involve removing the engine and other parts and welding the break.
The cost in labour would probably be more than you paid for the bike.
The repair may hold or it may not. With a trail bike, probably not.
Look for new paint on the frame covering a weld. The frame should only be welded where the metal tubes meet.

Have you priced insurance yet. Motorcycle insurance in Ont. is outlandish.
Check on premium cost for the bike you are looking for.

I've spoken with both guys and they are willing to drop it down to $2,800.
Also, if I wait around and it starts getting warmer, won't prices go up since riding season is approaching?

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

That link.

Plus make sure ur not buying anything from a sketchy seller.

Hm also why not consider a 2011/12 ninja 400. 399cc. I bought mine same price as those 250s u liked to.

Or a suzuki drz400...I like the ninja alot better though, solid machines.

Get insurance quotes before u do anything.

Better to find a Ninja 300 than get a 650R with a weaker engine than it was originally designed for.

LOL - "done a lot of reading", and ended up choosing a bike that 99% of the new-rider population chooses. How old are you? Do you have your M1 or M2? Instead of throwing out kijiji links of bikes for sale that you know nothing about, consider asking questions about bikes so that you can then go find one knowing something about what you're about to spend upwards of $5000 total on (gear, insurance, etc..).

I'm trying not to equate age to post count, but seriously.....

BMW has a nice 300cc and some decent finance rates as well if you want to go that route. I'd at least inquire about insurance vs a cbr.

I've spoken with both guys and they are willing to drop it down to $2,800.
Also, if I wait around and it starts getting warmer, won't prices go up since riding season is approaching?

Right now is the best time of the year to shop. Yes, you might be dealing with leftovers, but people selling may be very motivated to sell. Do not wait until the season starts, if you can find something now, just get it.

Check insurance rates first!!! That is the golden rule in Ontario.

LOL - "done a lot of reading", and ended up choosing a bike that 99% of the new-rider population chooses. How old are you? Do you have your M1 or M2? Instead of throwing out kijiji links of bikes for sale that you know nothing about, consider asking questions about bikes so that you can then go find one knowing something about what you're about to spend upwards of $5000 total on (gear, insurance, etc..).

You're calling him 2 years old simply because he decided on the same bike most people start on? He probably decided on it because it's a great bike to start on and any research will say the same... no need to be so negative.

I will be selling a 2013 Ninja 300 in the spring - we could work out an arrangement now if interested.

Original owner, bought new in Feb 2014
14,XXXkm
No mods, never tracked, crashed or dropped
Front tire replaced at 8,000km
New rear tire installed at 13,000km
Spark plugs replaced at 12,000km with iridium (gaps checked)
Air filter replaced at 12,000km with K&N
New chain, front and rear sprockets at 13,000km
Oil changed at 1000, 4000, 8000 (winterized), 12000, and 14000 (winterized)
Starts first time, every time - not a single problem ever
Front and rear stands included
Always garage stored

I was going to list it for $3,500 in a few months when it comes out of hibernation.

Located in Bowmanville

There you go Jmz1 this is a really good deal for you! Especially from an honest member;)

You're calling him 2 years old simply because he decided on the same bike most people start on? He probably decided on it because it's a great bike to start on and any research will say the same... no need to be so negative.

No.. you missed my point.

So the fact that most new riders choose a 250 for their first bike makes the 250 the wrong bike for a new rider? So you are assuming that all new riders are idiots that didn't do their proper research and due diligence?

There is always someone.....

First bike CC's is always a hot topic, but I think most would suggest a first bike in the 250-500 range, and even a v-twin 650-800 (just not an inline 6). But a lot of it depends on your height and weight as well. For a larger guy or gal, a 250-300 is underpowered and they would outgrow it quickly.

Personally I started on a 500cc and found it to be a good starter. I'm 6 ft 175lbs and the 250s were fine for the motorcycle training, but too small for my taste on the street.

Sport vs Cruiser is also a big difference. My 1800cc M109R was a monster, but didn't feel like it had nearly the same quick get up and go as my SV650 due to the power to weight ratio and gearing. However the M109R could do a burnout at 100 KM/h - lol!

...For a larger guy or gal, a 250-300 is underpowered and they would outgrow it quickly.

Personally I started on a 500cc and found it to be a good starter. I'm 6 ft 175lbs and the 250s were fine for the motorcycle training, but too small for my taste on the street...
Meh, I'm about the same height but weigh 200 lbs without gear and I went from a 650R to a 125 to try to keep my license and I'm still speeding all the time. Just rev it up more now.

It's like a joke, when you have to explain it to more than one person is not because they are idiots and don't understand the joke, is just because the joke is lame. So don't go getting mad about others not laughing at your stupidity. Peace!
Did you get the joke? Because I still don't understand what the point of his joke is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom