Cauliflower, the new white gold | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cauliflower, the new white gold

We buy our veggies from local farm... Was just up there the other day... no price increases.

We met them at a farmer's market years ago. Wasn't long before we got to know them and now just go directly to their home, and/or farms. I used to think it would be way ore expensive buying from local markets, and at first it may have been... but after buying from them a few times and getting to know them some... The prices went way down. Now.. $20 will buy more than we can eat in a week... and some times more than I can carry.

I got myself an Aerogarden in the boxing day sales. It's just growing herbs right now but apparently you can grow smaller plants in it too like cherry tomatoes. Just before the growing season starts I'll use it for seed starts so I can plant right after last frost. The thing is pretty neat and just needs a water and fertiliser top up every now and then. Plants grow fast in it.

Some plants don't grow if the soil is too cold. I think tomatoes need the soil to be 55°F or higher. You can buy soil heating systems if you want.

We buy our veggies from local farm... Was just up there the other day... no price increases.

I don't want to begrudge the farmer a fair wage and also have no clue what it costs to run a farm (judging by the offshore help it's probably a lot) but when I go the country farm stands and markets it "seems" that the prices are boutique like. Do they think we're shopping there for the tourist "experience"? Field to shelf couldn't be any more direct.

I don't want to begrudge the farmer a fair wage and also have no clue what it costs to run a farm (judging by the offshore help it's probably a lot) but when I go the country farm stands and markets it "seems" that the prices are boutique like. Do they think we're shopping there for the tourist "experience"? Field to shelf couldn't be any more direct.

Agreed from my experience, though, I don't really look very hard for it.

I have no problem with paying a premium for quality farm produce but I resent the "Farmer's Markets" that are just reselling imported produce. Fresh local oranges, bananas, pineapples. Local peas and strawberries in December???

Wow, quoted by two people. In a row. Two minutes apart. I guess I'm done for today.

I have no problem with paying a premium for quality farm produce but I resent the "Farmer's Markets" that are just reselling imported produce. Fresh local oranges, bananas, pineapples. Local peas and strawberries in December???

Or the 'farmers' that go down to the terminal to stock up before every market!?

The farmer's markets I go to only allow local farmers as venders. I only had to go a few times before getting to know the farmers well enough to just go straight to their farms.

Last edited:
I scored yesterday. Two cauliflowers for $5.00 at Superstore.

However in wandering the aisles I noticed a new product, cookie spread. Now you can make your kids cookie sandwiches.

Apparently it is or is becoming illegal for you to spank your kids for smoking pot but it's OK to poison them.

There was a section in the store with a sign "Adult Cereals". I was expecting kinky shapes but no, it was just cereals with less than 50% sugar content.

Pretty sure "Cookie Spread" was a routine ending move for one of the dancers at the LQ years ago.

Wouldn't want to eat either version. And I've been known in the past not to be too picky about what goes in my mouth.

Also re: cauliflower. .. I wonder if the use of cauliflower in the making of other products ie pasta, has added to it's rising cost?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Well for what's it worth I cook my bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. About 20-25 mins at 400 usually does it. Then I pour the grease into a mason jar I keep in the fridge to use later.

I love hearing people that live where there's winter complain about the price of fresh produce. If it's that much of a problem than maybe you should learn how to can or freeze it to use in winter.
Would be interested in some tips, if you have them. Looks like I will be going bigger with the garden this year, would like to make it last longer past harvest.
Had so much basil. Anyone have tips? What's best for that? Drying? Freezing?

I took some of my basil, cut a few stems and just threw them in a clear glass with water - they rooted really fast and so we have basil growing on the windowsill all winter long.

Would be interested in some tips, if you have them. Looks like I will be going bigger with the garden this year, would like to make it last longer past harvest.

Pesto

Was just discussing that with my fam. I'll make and freeze some late in the season. How long should that keep? ~3 months?

My sister just gave me a recipe for mushroom soup that uses cauliflower to thicken instead of cream or flour. Took half a head of the white gold stuff and boiled it in chicken stock then pureed it.

Worked really well! Mushroom, onion, garlic minced and sautéed then added the white "sauce", simmered with thyme and bay leaves, bit of red pepper flakes and ground black pepper for kick.

My sister just gave me a recipe for mushroom soup that uses cauliflower to thicken instead of cream or flour. Took half a head of the white gold stuff and boiled it in chicken stock then pureed it.

Worked really well! Mushroom, onion, garlic minced and sautéed then added the white "sauce", simmered with thyme and bay leaves, bit of red pepper flakes and ground black pepper for kick.
sounds good, usually i use cornstarch instead of flour...

People that "Make" soup with a can opener have no idea how much time it takes to make good soup from scratch. And it isn't cheap.

I agree with the good soup and time comment. Some soups can get costly but not in general I find.

Stock is cheap to make if you get in the habit of making it from leftovers. I make it from all my leftover bones, if I don't have time then it goes in a baggie in the freezer for the next time. Usually that is Sundays when I start in the am, by the time hubby is up house smells mmm.

Thyme was from garden and I have a bay tree. Peeled garlic by the kilo in this house (couldn't be bothered for the effort, plus it's cheap). Onions carrots and celery are the base for any of my soups usually.

I figure this pot cost me about 6 bucks in groceries, it'll feed me lunches all week plus the cut I'll drop at sis' place.

Sunday is a soup/stew/chili or spag sauce day at my house. Pretty happy puttering around a kitchen all day.

People that "Make" soup with a can opener have no idea how much time it takes to make good soup from scratch. And it isn't cheap.

Making a lot of things from scratch is expensive. Some question the fact that I eat out every day of the week while at work (Subway, typically) because of the $$. I get the same thing every day, a ham sub, loaded with every veggie short of olives, $7.85. Yes, that's $40/week, $160/month, but when I tried one week (long ago) to make an equivalent sandwich, after purchasing all the supplies (sub bun, meat, cheese, the big assortment of veggies and dressing) I priced it out and, well, it was maybe $1.00 less per sub....and I was eating a 5-6 hour old, sometimes soggy sub instead of a hot fresh toasted one made to order. Eating a fresh sub is worth the $5/week extra for me in both hassle and freshness.

Back
Top Bottom