Cauliflower, the new white gold | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cauliflower, the new white gold

Making a lot of things from scratch is expensive. Some question the fact that I eat out every day of the week while at work (Subway, typically) because of the $$. I get the same thing every day, a ham sub, loaded with every veggie short of olives, $7.85. Yes, that's $40/week, $160/month, but when I tried one week (long ago) to make an equivalent sandwich, after purchasing all the supplies (sub bun, meat, cheese, the big assortment of veggies and dressing) I priced it out and, well, it was maybe $1.00 less per sub....and I was eating a 5-6 hour old, sometimes soggy sub instead of a hot fresh toasted one made to order. Eating a fresh sub is worth the $5/week extra for me in both hassle and freshness.
I question your shopping skills

I question your shopping skills

Go ahead, try it. Buy everything you need for 5 12" fully loaded subs (8 different veggies, and LOTS of them all... meat, real swiss cheese, dressing, and let me know what the total was.

It'll be more than $25.

Go ahead, try it. Buy everything you need for 5 12" fully loaded subs (8 different veggies, and LOTS of them all... meat, real swiss cheese, dressing, and let me know what the total was.

It'll be more than $25.

Do you need a 12" sub for lunch? I have home made sandwiches every day and save a packet. 3-4 slices of bread and cheese or coldcuts bought from Costco with some cherry tomatoes or veggies in the sandwich.

If I get tired of healthy **** I'll splurge on a poutine from the chip truck!

I make a massive amount of tortilla soup from veggie leftovers. Roast them whole, unskinned on the BBQ (garlic, onions, red and green peppers, tomatoes) along with jalapenos too (the more there are the spicier the soup is). Once the peppers are blackened stick the lot into a blender or food processor and pulse for a bit. Force the puree through a sieve to remove skin and seeds. Add vegetable stock, a little tomato passata and old corn tortilla strips (thickens the soup). Serve with sour cream, slices of avocado, pickled jalapenos and top with cilantro and crispy tortilla strips (or nacho chips). Really quick to make, eats like a meal and tastes amazing because of the oven roasted veggies.

It'll be more than $25.

Ham is one of the cheaper meats but keeping a fresh stock of veggies could complicate the budget. Flexibility with ingredients allows grabbing stuff on sale. Also someone who is not an office worker sometimes needs to stop and refresh.

It'll be more than $25.

Jesus, other than the veg what the hell is healthy? Ever figure out the calorie content on that? Not that you can't, but should you?

My figure is lunch is costing you close to 1000 Cal. Unless you are a worker bee I can't see how you would work that off.

My whole family are meat/bread and veggies as an afterthought. Not many live past 65

Part of the problem, in my not so humble opinion, is we have gotten to the point where eating ' in season ' is totally outside our thinking. We want tomato year round and fresh oranges, and asian pears. When they aren't growing in California we fly them in from Chile or Spain. Home canning is something lots of our grannys did, but not so much our moms. If International trade is conducted in the US dollar, or Euro and we are paying with a Hudson Bay peso, good luck folks. Dinner is going to get expensive.

hmmm
time to buy stocks in freezer companies

Has the price of frozen vegetables and fruits increased (drastically)?

Part of the problem, in my not so humble opinion, is we have gotten to the point where eating ' in season ' is totally outside our thinking. We want tomato year round and fresh oranges, and asian pears. When they aren't growing in California we fly them in from Chile or Spain. Home canning is something lots of our grannys did, but not so much our moms. If International trade is conducted in the US dollar, or Euro and we are paying with a Hudson Bay peso, good luck folks. Dinner is going to get expensive.

My birthday is in June and it used to be a big thing for having strawberry shortcake because that was the season. Now it's no big deal. When everything is at your fingertips 24/365 there isn't a lot to look forward to in anticipation.

While winter sucks we there is a special exuberance to the first ride of spring.

Several decades ago I was ribbing a guy at the Loblaw's warehouse about the decline in tonnage shipped per employee. It was about half the rate decades earlier.He clarified that decades earlier a store would order 20 boxes each of apples, oranges and bananas. That changed to 3 boxes of one type of apples, 4 of another, 2 of a different variety, etc. Same with the oranges. The time to pull boxes instead of pulling a skid costs time and money.

Apples used to be either eating or cooking. Now they have pedigrees. Also since fewer people actually bake pies from scratch it gets harder to find the right apples.

The flipside of that is that all these farms also depend on their markets to move their product. Supply and demand still exists, and since supply is a constant (Apple orchards don't simply close down when demand drops, to use but one example), if demand drops (ie, the prices get crazy here and people just don't buy the product), the wholesale prices will have to drop so retail can return to something normal/palatable so people start buying it again.

There reaches a point where people will just not buy a product anymore and when it comes to produce there's only 2 options - freeze what can be frozen (which then potentially creates a glut of cheaper frozen product), or reduce the prices so that they can actually move it before it rots.

Prices will creep up I'm sure, but the "OMG we're all going to be eating ramen noodles and Kraft dinner soon" stories of fear are silly. Supply and demand works wonders. When produce starts rotting in warehouses US wholesalers will offer special prices for our market just to continue shipping product here.

Who remembers all the "Canadian Dollar at par!" deals that were all over the USA the last time the dollar was this low? I do, and I'm pretty sure we're going to start seeing it again really, really soon. Similar situation. They still want our money, even if it's worth less.

Last edited:
Cauliflower $3 at No Frills.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

The flipside of that is that all these farms also depend on their markets to move their product. Supply and demand still exists, and since supply is a constant (Apple orchards don't simply close down when demand drops, to use but one example), if demand drops (ie, the prices get crazy here and people just don't buy the product), the wholesale prices will have to drop so retail can return to something normal/palatable so people start buying it again.

There reaches a point where people will just not buy a product anymore and when it comes to produce there's only 2 options - freeze what can be frozen (which then potentially creates a glut of cheaper frozen product), or reduce the prices so that they can actually move it before it rots.

Prices will creep up I'm sure, but the "OMG we're all going to be eating ramen noodles and Kraft dinner soon" stories of fear are silly. Supply and demand works wonders. When produce starts rotting in warehouses US wholesalers will offer special prices for our market just to continue shipping product here.

Who remembers all the "Canadian Dollar at par!" deals that were all over the USA the last time the dollar was this low? I do, and I'm pretty sure we're going to start seeing it again really, really soon. Similar situation.

well short answer , sort of.
when we were farming we belonged to a couple 'marketing boards' that A. control production to a point through quota and B. assist in getting your product moved. Farmer Ted will sell apples locally, to an exporter that will send them to the UK or else where, possibly be contracted to sell to a processor (green giant) that will have to be pre arranged as they buy in advance since most grade A fancy fruit in selected at its near peak for frozen packaging. Then the down stream is industrial food product, it can be pretty schetchy and go into processed foods, when its close to the edge it goes down a juicing line.
Demand at the processed food product level is fairly steady for fruit and veggy ingredients and thanks to food corporations all the egg plants are the same shape and size (notice that at the market?)
I liked growing up on a farm, everything except the farming part.....

A few years back romaine went sky high and it rotted on the store shelves. Then they couldn't give it away.

Back
Top Bottom