Canada Post | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada Post

Baggsy

Site Supporter
So, I can't open my group mailbox for a couple of days.

No problem, I'll call them up and get them to fix it.

Go online to see what to do. CP site wants me to sign up to ask the question.
o.k. So I. Start going through the process. Why are google, bing, and twitter and twitter needed for this page?

Ask the question. Answer refers me to another page.

The new page wants me to sign up again. I try entering the first use rid and password. Nope. It want the full load again. Go through the process, and it crashes near the end. Fed up I search and search and find the General inquiries phone number. Naturally, volumes are higher blah blah blah. I try signing up again while I wait, and it crashes again. Now it's a game to see if I can make it work before the phone gets answered. I almost made it. First thing the speaker tells me on the phone is that I can do this all online. Second thing is to not try to fix the lock myself. She seems surprised that I'm unable to get the website working. Anyways she give me a number and promises that someone will fix it within 24 hours, which does happen. I get signed to the website finally to see if I can make a ticket. It gets so far, and cranes with an error 500, the page you requested is not available at this time. So I guess the phone is the way to go, if you can find the number.

Today, my neighbour it at the box at the same time as me. She is having trouble with a frozen lock. Mine is now fixed. . . I guess they fix them one by one by one . . . I give her the phone number. Volumes are too high right now, call back later. Goodbye. Click. . .

TLDR
Community mailboxes are a pain.
Canada Post's support is good once you figure out how to get through, but doesn't anticipate issues.
The guy who unfreezes the locks probably gets paid per call.

Look at it as a new business opportunity,just be there at peak times with a can of lock de-icer available at the bargain price of $10 per shot...

Yeah, they specifically said not to do that. They'd rather break it than have me break it. If I do, it costs me $35 or so to replace the lock. One of the neighbors tried anyways, and it didn't do anything. It looked like they used some sort of gel on mine.

So, I can't open my group mailbox for a couple of days.

No problem, I'll call them up and get them to fix it.

Go online to see what to do. CP site wants me to sign up to ask the question.
o.k. So I. Start going through the process. Why are google, bing, and twitter and twitter needed for this page?

Ask the question. Answer refers me to another page.

The new page wants me to sign up again. I try entering the first use rid and password. Nope. It want the full load again. Go through the process, and it crashes near the end. Fed up I search and search and find the General inquiries phone number. Naturally, volumes are higher blah blah blah. I try signing up again while I wait, and it crashes again. Now it's a game to see if I can make it work before the phone gets answered. I almost made it. First thing the speaker tells me on the phone is that I can do this all online. Second thing is to not try to fix the lock myself. She seems surprised that I'm unable to get the website working. Anyways she give me a number and promises that someone will fix it within 24 hours, which does happen. I get signed to the website finally to see if I can make a ticket. It gets so far, and cranes with an error 500, the page you requested is not available at this time. So I guess the phone is the way to go, if you can find the number.

Today, my neighbour it at the box at the same time as me. She is having trouble with a frozen lock. Mine is now fixed. . . I guess they fix them one by one by one . . . I give her the phone number. Volumes are too high right now, call back later. Goodbye. Click. . .

TLDR
Community mailboxes are a pain.
Canada Post's support is good once you figure out how to get through, but doesn't anticipate issues.
The guy who unfreezes the locks probably gets paid per call.
I keep a mini torch in my truck for these situations.

It's hard to find. I think I phoned 1-866-607-6301 which is General Inquiries. wait (to bypass French which is 2). 1. 3. 2. 1. 1. (Should get you to an agent)
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/support/default.page#panel2-3
I'm pretty sure there's a phone number right on our mailbox.
I just switched to a community mailbox (got tired of my rural roadside mailbox being vandalized and stolen), have had it only a week, haven't had my lock freeze up yet but i suppose if the wind blows the wrong the lock could get frozen. What's the number just in case?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I've never lived anywhere that had door delivery. Other than the condos it's been rural or post office boxes when I was moving around a lot.

On my runs in town I notice these "save our door to door" signs on lawns. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out what they were on about.

Saying that I've never once had an issue with a super box, and the concept of mail to your door is foreign to me. Neat, but I kind of like the super boxes, esp the oversized ones for larger parcels. We get a lot of stuff through Canada Post and we are utilizing that at least once a week.

Stupid question but what happens if your home box isn't big enough? Back to the Depot or leave it out?

I have not had door-to-door delivery for the past 25 years. Over this time I have only had a few instances when the door of my unit on the super-box was frozen shut. A couple of light taps with a hammer and it opens just fine. I have also used lock de-icer once or twice over the years and never needed to call Canada Post for repair.

Stupid question but what happens if your home box isn't big enough? Back to the Depot or leave it out?

Depends. Signature required it goes to your depot. Without, I think it's up to the discretion of the carrier, mostly re: weather or location. I have door to door, live on a rural/residential dead end street off a dead end street and have an awning over my porch, so everything is either tucked inside the screen door or left on the porch, depending on the size. I've come home from work to find boxes large enough to hold a FMF Gnarly sitting in front of my door.

Last edited:
I've never lived anywhere that had door delivery. Other than the condos it's been rural or post office boxes when I was moving around a lot.

On my runs in town I notice these "save our door to door" signs on lawns. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out what they were on about.

Saying that I've never once had an issue with a super box, and the concept of mail to your door is foreign to me. Neat, but I kind of like the super boxes, esp the oversized ones for larger parcels. We get a lot of stuff through Canada Post and we are utilizing that at least once a week.

It's not stupid. For us, the guy pretends to knock on the door, leaves a card, legs it back to the truck, spits gravel all over taking off, and we have to go to the local drug store the next day, after a certain time, to pick it up. So it's not as bad as trying to find the local courier's depot.

One of the local small businesses, has decided that beside the mailbox is a great place to plaster advertisements, and this and people tossing their junk mail onto the street was one of my main concerns with the superbox. I like the little parcel thing, and my wife likes that there's an outgoing mail slot in the box.

They do need to get their online support act together though.

Never in my life have I seen junk mail thrown on the ground next to community mailboxes.

Never in my life have I seen junk mail thrown on the ground next to community mailboxes.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
I used to watch people dump their 'junk' mail onto the grass/street, whatever when I would be BBQing on the balcony of my condo.
They would either toss it to the side of the mailbox, drop it on the floor, or my favourite was when they would put it on top of the superbox. It was angled so it would just slide off onto the street.
I would call people out once in a while. "Hey, I think you dropped something" and then they would reluctantly pick it up.
I thought it was sad that people were ready to litter because they were inconvenienced.
/rant off

I used to watch people dump their 'junk' mail onto the grass/street, whatever when I would be BBQing on the balcony of my condo.
They would either toss it to the side of the mailbox, drop it on the floor, or my favourite was when they would put it on top of the superbox. It was angled so it would just slide off onto the street.
I would call people out once in a while. "Hey, I think you dropped something" and then they would reluctantly pick it up.
I thought it was sad that people were ready to litter because they were inconvenienced.
/rant off
I'm a bit of an @$$, sometimes they leave addressed admail on the side--I pick it up and bring it to their front door. I also remove all advertising flyers that people place up, and have put up a notice reminding people to keep it clean. It has been pretty good. Now I just have to get CP to follow up on my 10 complaints of the letter carriers dropping banding, elastics etc at the box.

/rant off
I put all junk mail back in the mail slot. They can dispose of it.

So maybe next to the communal mailbox they need... RECYCLING BINS.

I put all junk mail back in the mail slot. They can dispose of it.
If you put a sticker inside that says "no unaddressed admail" or a red dot sticker, they are not 'supposed' to give it to you.
only slightly less scummy than throwing it on the ground.
I may have been guilty of this, if they failed to observe the multiple stickers in my mailbox.

Again, this only applies to unaddressed admail. Anything with an address is your responsibility. Also keep in mind that you will not get McDonald's coupons. ?

Go visit some in some choice Toronto neighbourhoods. Some people are thoughtless idiots.

We've had a super box since we bought our house 15 years ago as has everyone else in our town. The same can be said for most rural areas and some entire cities. I don't buy all the ******** arguments about constant problems with the boxes (There's not, issues are far and few between), The elderly being unable to retrieve their mail (if getting to and opening a mailbox a few houses down is a massive issue chances are you are already receiving assistance from others, I'm sure they could pick up your mail as well), theft (Mail left in an unlocked box at the end of your driveway or front door, and parcels dropped at your front door in plain sight are somehow more secure?) etc etc.

There's much whining from people who want their cake and they want to eat it too. Perhaps those who still demand door-to-door delivery could be billed a surcharge every month for the continued privilege – my guess is that this would shut people up pretty quick and the take up would be minimal.

Times are changing, mail volume is down, CP needs to change with the times and look for ways to streamline unless people are willing to either subsidize the costs, pay extra for the continued privilege of home delivery, or be willing to pay a massive increase in postal prices across the board.

I suspect none of the above are palatable in the end.

Superboxes have always been a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom