Riding season planning 2016 | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding season planning 2016

How long is the Bethany ride?

Bethany is a full day ride with gas / lunch in the middle. It's a fantastic route that I've posted in my GPS tracks thread here so we can run it anytime. When I have in the past, I'd blast all morning and get to Bewdly on the western shore of rice lake for fuel and lunch and have typically just ended up doing part of the afternoon section instead of the whole afternoon sections - ok, I'll admit - I get tired and lazy once there's some fish and chips or a burger in my fat belly - it drains my energy :)

The one thing about Bethany is that it's early in the season (toward the end of April) and most of the tracks and especially the ones that pass through the ganny are so rutted and muddy that it's quite tiring.

And for those who don't want to do the "official" rides with any of the clubs, I am still planning many ad-hoc day rides plus the TCAT from Calabogie to north bay (about 4 days and good for small and big bikes) and a 3 day round Algonquin park for proper dual sport bikes - both will include camping in parks and wild camping on crown land.

In addition, I have some favourite runs that I like to do out of Baysville along Olde Wagon Road and the extremely challenging off-shoot trails from it - those are great day rides but are best with an overnight given that it takes two hours to get to Baysville from Toronto (plus any cottage traffic). As an indication of how challenging some of the trails there are, my friend and I went exploring one of these off-shoot trails and it was amazing - 20km took us 2.5 hours on little bikes, it was like a mini marathon of hard enduro; very rewarding...I also have a perfect two-day ride in and around the Bancroft area with camping in silent lake park or if you prefer a motel, then Apsley, the neighbouring town offers cheap lodging. The Bancroft area ride is a combination of the Hastings heritage trail (converted old rail line - very straight, very sandy and full of whoopty-dos), forest logging roads, atv trails and some other challenges including water crossings, rocky ascents and descents and river beds. Not recommended for any bike bike unless you're a superstar and have enough ground clearance...

I'm definitely more inclined to do smaller group rides rather than the large club rides. I much prefer being able to do our own thing and not be constrained by the club. I suppose nothing ever stops us from splitting off from the club ride at any time.

How do they go through Ganny before May 1st? I'm assuming they have some special permission...

I'm definitely more inclined to do smaller group rides rather than the large club rides. I much prefer being able to do our own thing and not be constrained by the club. I suppose nothing ever stops us from splitting off from the club ride at any time.

How do they go through Ganny before May 1st? I'm assuming they have some special permission...
We will probably do our own Bethany pre-ride before the ODSC Bethany ride, I think that is Alon's plan. I generally stay away from group rides, but I found a great small group of guys.

Either way, I'm sure we'll meet up sometime next season, on track or dirt.

Yeah, that's what I mean. A group of people you know is good. For sure we'll meet up. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Creemore stuff that you guys do. Something closer to home than Ganny is a must. As long as there's somewhere safe to park my truck and trailer for the day because I have no interest in riding all there way there. :p

Don't worry, I've got the hockley - creemore run down to an exact science. There's a Hickey parking lot right on hockley valley road that had plenty of room for truck and trailer - that's exactly what I do as I don't like to ride pavement all the way there. Don't expect the same kind of riding as in the ganny though - it's a combination of gravel roads as connectors to trails with some decent challenges in each trail. A few hills, varying terrain and creemore has plenty of choices in food and fuel so you don't need to worry about extra fuel. When we leave he parking lot by 10:00 and stop for lunch in creemore, the whole run takes us back to our trucks and trailers by 4:00 and that's with plenty of piss and picture breaks. We do a nice casual pace and really enjoy the challenges along the way (which include a nice ten minutes worth of single track up in simcoe).

That sounds great. As much as we love the variety of Ganny and loads of technical singletrack, the drive is just too much for more than once a month. I'm okay riding whatever. Seat time is seat time :) Less technical means more chances for wheelies. LOL

Looking forward to getting some camping/riding trips in this season. I bought some lightwieght camping gear to fit on my 250. Have a larger tank that I put on over the winter to get some more range. I hope to do the TAT in 2017. Looking for some riders that want to try some rides in Ontario this season.
cheers

Check out out this thread and reach out to me via whatsapp to be added to the riding group:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?195142-Gta-dual-sport-riders-whatsapp-group

Looking forward to getting some camping/riding trips in this season. I bought some lightwieght camping gear to fit on my 250. Have a larger tank that I put on over the winter to get some more range. I hope to do the TAT in 2017. Looking for some riders that want to try some rides in Ontario this season.
cheers

First ride of the season this Saturday in the Bethany area. It will be a more relaxed ride to staty the season. Small and big bikes welcome. Post up if you're interested.

First ride of the season this Saturday in the Bethany area. It will be a more relaxed ride to staty the season. Small and big bikes welcome. Post up if you're interested.

Interested ;-)

It was awesome today.

2cb4eb91577d099ecc7ee6caa9720f79.jpg

Back
Top Bottom