Riding season planning 2016 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding season planning 2016

Ok, April then.

Go and buy a bike.

It's winter, I'm totally depressed already and dreaming of riding so what better way to pass time than to discuss some ride planning.

I too am depressed as I look out at a deck and back yard full of snow :( I have the forks off my KTM for service so I'll be getting those back next weekend and hopefully spend some quality time in the garage.

As mentioned before we (my girlfriend and I) are very interested in finding some new offroad sites since we've been spending all of our time at Ganny the last 3 years. Although my KTM is blue plated I have no interest in riding it on the road for extended periods. As you know, small bikes are annoying on the road. Short jaunts to connect trails, no problem. My girlfriend has only a green plated bike so either she'll assume the risk or get a blue plated bike at some point. If insurance on my KTM skyrockets like seems to be the trend lately then maybe I'll pull the blue plate and only green plate it (assuming the insurance companies will allow me to do that...).

Hi Alon, name here is Mike. We rode together on the X-mas eve ride.

I'm interested in some of your rides. I'd like to offer the idea of a Michigan ride-there is a large trail network which includes the MCCCT trail. From what i understand it is easy to go on a multi-day safari. I would certainly consider taking a weeks vacation for that.

You mentioned staging out of Silent Lake. Which direction did you usually ride? My cottage is pretty close.

The TCAT and RAP sound interesting too, though I would probably do those in weekend sized chunks.

Mike

I too am depressed as I look out at a deck and back yard full of snow :( I have the forks off my KTM for service so I'll be getting those back next weekend and hopefully spend some quality time in the garage.

As mentioned before we (my girlfriend and I) are very interested in finding some new offroad sites since we've been spending all of our time at Ganny the last 3 years. Although my KTM is blue plated I have no interest in riding it on the road for extended periods. As you know, small bikes are annoying on the road. Short jaunts to connect trails, no problem. My girlfriend has only a green plated bike so either she'll assume the risk or get a blue plated bike at some point. If insurance on my KTM skyrockets like seems to be the trend lately then maybe I'll pull the blue plate and only green plate it (assuming the insurance companies will allow me to do that...).
Any interest in multi-day trips?

When I ride with Alon, only time we go on a road is to connect the trails so you won't have any problem on any of rides.

I contemplated a green plate bike, but you are just too limited on where you can go. I will be buying a small dual sport soon and it'd nice to meet you for a ride.

I'm interested in some of your rides. I'd like to offer the idea of a Michigan ride-there is a large trail network which includes the MCCCT trail. From what i understand it is easy to go on a multi-day safari. I would certainly consider taking a weeks vacation for that.

You mentioned staging out of Silent Lake. Which direction did you usually ride? My cottage is pretty close.

The TCAT and RAP sound interesting too, though I would probably do those in weekend sized chunks.

Mike

Hey Mike, nice to see you here. This is Nam on the street bike. Next season is going to be good, I can feel it.

Multi-day rides certainly wouldn't be out of the question. We just bought a toy hauler before Christmas. :)

This does sound fun. I'm in the blue-plated dirtbike camp. With the stock gearing it tops out at 80 km/hr, although it is happier at 60, so any on-road stuff would suck. That is fixable with some sprockets, but the range on a tank is around 100km, so carrying camping gear in addition to gas and premix would be difficult.

80km/h max? Crazy! The KDX220? I've gone faster than that in some of the sandy quad tracks in Ganny. :p

Haha, yup. It'll climb a tree with that gearing though

Hmm, some googling suggests some people get 65 or 75mph on stock gearing, so I'm not sure what's up. Maybe it needs some jetting work, but it pulls so well at partial throttle in the woods that I wouldn't want to mess with it.

In any case, my other option is the WeeStrom in a big bike group, but taking it off road is really no fun.

Maybe it just needs a carb cleaning. Typically a dirty carb would mud up the low and mid revs before the top end though...

Roughly the plan is for April, not sure if Alon was serious, but I am planning for that anyways.

Big or small bike would be okay with me for TCAT, so we'll see who's actually going when it gets a little closer.

Yes, I'm serious about April for something like some of the Ontario TCAT. Other than that, I'd be ok for any multi-day anytime. My only current issue is that I've been working a lot in the UK on two week rotations (I'm here in the uk now) and while I'm supposed to be rolling off this work by end of March, it's likely to continue until end of June. That just means that at this point, I'm not sure when I'll be home during April so I'll need to keep the dates rather loose and flexible for now.

Roughly the plan is for April, not sure if Alon was serious, but I am planning for that anyways.

Big or small bike would be okay with me for TCAT, so we'll see who's actually going when it gets a little closer.

Hi mike - yeah I've heard that Michigan upper peninsula is fantastic (but very sandy) and is perfect for multi-day trips, I'd be definitely interested in considering one of those trips too. As for Bancroft riding, I posted a bunch of riding trails that we accessed from silent lake: Bancroft area, Apsley, some of them as far out east as Renforth. Mostly logging roads and forest trails combined with a tiny bit of pavement and gravel roads. If you check the other threads on this forum you'll see the GPS files posted in one of my threads (can't remember the title of the thread itself). I'm sure you know the area like the back of your hand.

the RAP is something I've wanted to do since before last year and I didn't get to it so its high on my list of to-dos this summer. The RAP is fine as a three day long weekend ride based on my research.

Mike

80kph is fine - are you really going to be flying through trails any faster than that? Your fuel capacity could be a bit of an issue though unless you've got an easy way to bring some with you (like in an MSR Dromedary, etc).

This does sound fun. I'm in the blue-plated dirtbike camp. With the stock gearing it tops out at 80 km/hr, although it is happier at 60, so any on-road stuff would suck. That is fixable with some sprockets, but the range on a tank is around 100km, so carrying camping gear in addition to gas and premix would be difficult.

80kph is fine - are you really going to be flying through trails any faster than that? Your fuel capacity could be a bit of an issue though unless you've got an easy way to bring some with you (like in an MSR Dromedary, etc).

Nope, I'm usually in no hurry, I just wasn't sure how much wide gravel or pavement would be involved. I spend almost all of my time on single track, so the top speed has never been an issue. When things warm up in the garage I'll have a look at the reeds and power valve - it sounds like I should be able to get a lot more out of it.

A 5L jerry can should get me to 150km, but a 10L bag would probably be a better idea. Either should be pretty easy to strap on the back, but camping gear would be a real challenge

Nope, I'm usually in no hurry, I just wasn't sure how much wide gravel or pavement would be involved. I spend almost all of my time on single track, so the top speed has never been an issue. When things warm up in the garage I'll have a look at the reeds and power valve - it sounds like I should be able to get a lot more out of it.

A 5L jerry can should get me to 150km, but a 10L bag would probably be a better idea. Either should be pretty easy to strap on the back, but camping gear would be a real challenge
The great thing about camping with multiple people is that you won't need to bring everything yourself.

Whats even greater about camping is sneaking out of your tent at night while everyone else is asleep and siphoning a litre from each of the other bike's tanks and into yours :)

The great thing about camping with multiple people is that you won't need to bring everything yourself.

the RAP is something I've wanted to do since before last year and I didn't get to it so its high on my list of to-dos this summer. The RAP is fine as a three day long weekend ride based on my research.

Actually I am considering doing the RAP on a regular weekend with a start and finish in Toronto. The key would be to start Friday afterwork (3:00pm for me). Backroads can be picked up just north of the Metro zoo. Saturday and Sunday would be 12hr days. Tough but doable I think.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom