Riding season planning 2016 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding season planning 2016

Agree with Mike. It's better than my CB500X and the Vstrom.

The 500X is better if you do the Rally Raid conversion which will cost you another 3 grand, it really is inappropriate for the riding I do with it.

Yeah, for my next bike I am thinking about getting a big thumper like a DR650... and then spend a few hundred on a decent seat like a corbin or sargent, make sure it has wide hand guards like the acerbis multiconcept, and a removeable windshield that I can keep off for the local dirt runs and put back on for the street. Two sets of wheels with two sets of tires would be ideal. I can handle a little less comfort for touring to get a bike that can take me everywhere.

Like Nam, I also take my Vstrom many places it shouldn't go... but it is tough to handle. It is a big top heavy bike that wears me out trying to keep it upright sometimes.

Yeah, riding off pavement on a big bike is sure a workout. That one forest where I got lost, I must've sweated out 20lbs.

I was hoping to maybe get a 3rd bike, more dedicated to single track but it looks like the KLR and I will have to take another year of beating since I splurged on a Buell instead.

I'd be interested in a longer trip, however I am not prepared for camping due to lack of equipment. May post a 2-3 day on-off ride myself for the up coming season but most likely with a cabin or motel stop.

Sorry, don't know how I came up with Chase - I meant to direct that question to you Mike :)

Chase hasn't even entered the conversation yet. ;-)

Myself and Chase did that run loosely based on Hardy's tracks, and yeah, Hardy warned me about the slag... it kills tires fast. I think Hardy had one or two flats on the trail. We were lucky and did not.

I could be be convinced to cabin / motel instead only because I don't really like to weigh down the little bike with tons of gear which means im using my lightweight sleeping bag so I need to avoid really cold nights.

Yeah, riding off pavement on a big bike is sure a workout. That one forest where I got lost, I must've sweated out 20lbs.

I was hoping to maybe get a 3rd bike, more dedicated to single track but it looks like the KLR and I will have to take another year of beating since I splurged on a Buell instead.

I'd be interested in a longer trip, however I am not prepared for camping due to lack of equipment. May post a 2-3 day on-off ride myself for the up coming season but most likely with a cabin or motel stop.

Is there anyone else interested in going with a big bike? Roughly what month will it be? Need to do some loose planning. I have no issues with riding my CB500X, I love that bike.

I am going to look at the CRF, WRR and 500 EXC for small bikes and see what happens. Maybe Chase will find his DRZ too.

Cabin/hotel wouldn't be expensive for multiple people, I would be okay with it but prefer camping.

Yeah, for my next bike I am thinking about getting a big thumper like a DR650... and then spend a few hundred on a decent seat like a corbin or sargent, make sure it has wide hand guards like the acerbis multiconcept, and a removeable windshield that I can keep off for the local dirt runs and put back on for the street. Two sets of wheels with two sets of tires would be ideal. I can handle a little less comfort for touring to get a bike that can take me everywhere.

Like Nam, I also take my Vstrom many places it shouldn't go... but it is tough to handle. It is a big top heavy bike that wears me out trying to keep it upright sometimes.
DR650 is like halfway between the 400 and Vstrom. Are you getting ride of one of those? I think 400 and Vstrom is a pretty good combo.

DR650 is like halfway between the 400 and Vstrom. Are you getting ride of one of those? I think 400 and Vstrom is a pretty good combo.

Eventually I might get rid of both bikes and replace them with a DR650... but not just yet -- I'm thinking of another season or two with this pair before I move on.

Part of the reason is paying double insurance, double the maintenance, and taking double my garage space. I also like the inherent simplicity of the DR650... for one example, valve checks are required more often, but they are screw adjustable valves that supposedly take a total of 20 minutes to check and adjust. The Vstrom, on the other hand, needs most of the bike disassembled for a valve adjustment -- on one side of the V the rad, tank, air box, and possible throttle body needs to come off, and that is the simple side. The other side people have talked about removing the swing arm. I just had a valve check done on the Vstrom, and it is within spec, but I might sell it and get my value out of it before the next valve check/adjustment. The DR is also air-cooled with an oil cooler, analogue speedo/odo, just plain simple all around... my kind of bike, very little to break, just dead reliable. Not that the Vstrom isn't reliable, but it certainly has a lot more that can go wrong (ABS, EFI, etc).

The DR650 is similar to the DRZ, so no reason to have both of them. I've read that the DR is much more comfortable on the longer rides and feels less like riding on a 'twitchy rail' as some describe the DRZ. I like my DRZ... but if I am going to go with only one bike, I would replace it. The DRZ also has a weak subframe so can't take much luggage, so it can't be made into much of a touring beast.... the DR can be.

Finally, nearly every time I ride I am usually at least on gravel and looking for trails/non maintained roads. I have tried, but don't have a lot if interest in pavement only trips seeking out twisties... I much prefer running gravel roads with almost no vehicles than running down to the dragon (which I've done). In the past three seasons I've done multiple trips to Pennsylvania, New York, and Vermont, did the Trans-lab, did the James Bay run, did the Devil's Whip, Blue Ridge Mountains, etc, etc, etc... 48000km of touring but now prefer puttering along on the gravel roads and staying away from cities and freeways.

Your 2011 XR650 is an excellent blue plated bike. Keep it.
The xr for sale belongs to a friend

It's a little out of my budget... Otherwise i would have bought it

How is the klr as a dual sport? And which model is preferred ...pre 2008 or 2008+?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I had a 1999 klr 650, skid plate, rad guards, progressive rear, yz250 front shocks, done up nicely. I took that bike everywhere I would've taken a smaller bike, I just did it slower. I also ran Kenda trak masters and changed the rear every two weeks. I really liked the klr, obviously has its drawbacks, but overall a great bike for exploring back roads, gravel, two track and light single track. It's definitely geared more towards the road and gravel, but it depends on the rider. I would stick with the pre 2008, only because there's less plastic and you can find great deals for $2500 or so. My 99 had 82 000km when I sold it and its still going at 107 000km.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The xr for sale belongs to a friend

It's a little out of my budget... Otherwise i would have bought it

How is the klr as a dual sport? And which model is preferred ...pre 2008 or 2008+?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I would chose the lighter weight DR650(like Mike) and ride with Alon and company on a day trip early next season, see how you like it.

...I would stick with the pre 2008, only because there's less plastic and you can find great deals for $2500 or so. My 99 had 82 000km when I sold it and its still going at 107 000km.

Meh. Look how many times I've dropped mine. Probably about 15 last season. Not one broken plastic. Broken mirror - yes. But not plastic. And even if it happens - who cares, it's a KLR. Put some duct tape on it.

Brakes, headlight, suspension - better on 2nd gen. More wind protection for touring.

Definitely can find a 1st gen for less cash though. 2nd gen will be a bit tough for under $3,000 - especially properly farkled.

Last edited:
My plan as of right now is to buy the Rally Raid Level 3 kit for my CB500X to take on some of these rides. It will raise the ground clearance 2" and improve the suspension drastically.

My plan as of right now is to buy the Rally Raid Level 3 kit for my CB500X to take on some of these rides. It will raise the ground clearance 2" and improve the suspension drastically.
That's awesome! What's that set you back? If you don't mind me asking. What does it change besides suspension?

That's awesome! What's that set you back? If you don't mind me asking. What does it change besides suspension?

2k USD for suspension and links to raise it 2". 1k more if I get 19" front spoked rim and 17" spoked rim with a new fender.

2k USD for suspension and links to raise it 2". 1k more if I get 19" front spoked rim and 17" spoked rim with a new fender.
So that's like $18k CDN?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

You're worse than a girlfriend :) I don't know...spring sometime, after winter and before summer...

when do you want to go?

You're worse than a girlfriend :) I don't know...spring sometime, after winter and before summer...

when do you want to go?
I want to go before July. April sounds good.

Btw I changed my mind and will no longer be getting the RR kit, so I need to buy my WR250R before we go. How much time do I have? ?

Back
Top Bottom