Riding season planning 2016 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding season planning 2016

alon

It's winter, I'm totally depressed already and dreaming of riding so what better way to pass time than to discuss some ride planning. So in addition to a number of RallyConnex, ODSC, OFTR and other rides such as EOAR, Roaming Rally, Rockhound Rally, etc I want to plan a few multi-day rides that will combine off road riding (and by off road, I mean gravel and dirt over varying terrain and challenges). I've mentioned some of these in other threads here but I thought I'd use this single thread as a peacekeeper for them. In addition to this, look for the other relevant threads such as my GPS tracks thread in this sub-forum as well.
1- TCAT Ontario: this is the trans-Canadian adventure trail (thanks to Deadly99 of www.graveltravel.ca). I'm planning to run the Ontario portion from roughly Calabogie area to around North Bay and then back to Toronto. I would expect this to be four days and three nights of riding. I'll be looking to trailer little bikes out to the start point and ride with camping and personal gear on the bikes for the duration of the ride. Wild camping, park camping, food, etc - we will work all these details out but essentially, expect between 300-350km of riding per day on gravel and mostly easy trails with a few areas / sections of challenging terrain that will be clearly marked / visible with ways around them for those who prefer not to try or those on bigger bikes. My challenge is that on my small bike, there's no bloody way in hell that I'm going to slab it for. Toronto all the way out to Calabogie to begin there so I'll need to find someone who will drive with me (my trailer holds three small bikes) and drive my truck and trailer back home for me (got time to figure that out)...

A few things to note:
A- small bikes means proper dual sport motorcycles with proper dual sport tires that are at least 70/30 (70 dirt / 30 road) tires. Count on needing about 150km of fuel range and bikes must be blue plated, not green plate (unless laws change by next season as they did in 2015 for ATVs / UTVs).
B- camping gear should include the obvious things: tent or hammock, sleeping bag, etc. You should be prepared with some kind of water bladder or other container, don't worry about carrying food - it's easier to hit up country restaurants and save coffee / tea / etc for the campsites. A lightweight camping chair with a backrest is highly recommended - you'll need it after a day of riding. Everything else is up to you - I'm happy to help and recommend camping gear lists based on my own experience. We will be wild camping legally on crown land along the way - the challenge with wild camping is finding suitable clearing for all of us, a clearing that provides decent flat ground so we aren't tenting on top of roots and rocks...(see camping gear thread after this one to learn more about why I bought a camping hammock...) - depending on where we will be for the nights, we can look at Ontario provincial parks for camping - they've got proper toilet and shower facilities and many allow up to four tents and four bikes per site for an average of $50 per night per site.
C- big bikes means adventure style bikes that have some level of off road riding capability. These are typically heavy and often have inadequate tires for a proper TCAT run. Again, we can calculate where the off road challenges and crossings are and see if we can devise a way around them for those who really want to ride big bikes with 50/50 tires as they will be fine for gravel riding and perhaps some hard packed dirt.
2- RAP: Round Algonquin Park starting from Lake of Bays / Baysville area - this can be done in either three or four days - this can be quite challenging depending on the route chosen, not very big bike friendly but there is a big bike friendly path around the park that does a good job of avoiding pavement. If we have a mixed group, we can always plan and coordinate our own paths and decide on nightly meeting locations for lodging / camping.
3- 2 or 3 days of Bancroft: this trip involves camping at Silent Lake provincial park and using that as home base for either two or three full day rides throughout various trails, logging roads, gravel, etc - did this last summer, it was spectacular and I've got amazing routes. If you want to ride this with big bikes, make sure you've got amazing tires and some skills - it will not be easy on big bikes: awesome forest loam trails, some sandy areas, some shallow water crossings and rocks of varying size and shape. Last summer, we drove with the trailer to Bancroft in the afternoon and pitched the campsite. Rode the entire next two days (lots of KMs each day), went back, packed up and went home that night so it ended up being two nights of camping with two very full days of riding.

Last edited:
I'd like to plan for during the week for as many as possible and Nam, you can do the TCAT on your Honda but you'll need new tires by then and even then you may find some challenging stuff but given this past season and our riding, we can just go slower for those sections...

Oh boy. If Nam is in with the 500x, I'll have to get some new boots on the versys and pack up the camp gear.
Nam, have you found any more aggressive tires in 17's? Royal distributing carries a decent Shinko, but I think it's still more if a gravel tire and may clog in mud.
Ideally, I'm hoping to pick up a drz/Dr, or an xr650l this spring, but the wife wants to upgrade this year as well so we'll so how it goes.
God I miss my ktm 200 and 300 2t, both were blue plated as well.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Oh boy. If Nam is in with the 500x, I'll have to get some new boots on the versys and pack up the camp gear.
Nam, have you found any more aggressive tires in 17's? Royal distributing carries a decent Shinko, but I think it's still more if a gravel tire and may clog in mud.
Ideally, I'm hoping to pick up a drz/Dr, or an xr650l this spring, but the wife wants to upgrade this year as well so we'll so how it goes.
God I miss my ktm 200 and 300 2t, both were blue plated as well.

I don't really have any experience with tires. This was my first time riding off road last season when Alon was showing me around. I have TKC80's and they seem to work really good on and off road so I will keep using these, I have never used anything else. I think people buy the Shinkos because they are cheaper, not better

We went through lots of mud. It will be slippery with any big bike I think, but I don't think the tires were clogged up. Most of the times I dropped the bike were because of slippery mud, but made it through always.

I might pick up a KTM500 EXC or WR250R too. I still may raise my bike 2" with the Rally Raid conversion too, my skid plate took a beating with all that tree jumping and stuff, 6.6" ground clearance does not cut it. Bring the Versys and come ride with us.

Last edited:
You'll have a hard time finding knobby 17 fronts - I don't believe that Shinko makes them. They do produce their version of the tkc80 but it's a 19" front tire.

You'll have a hard time finding knobby 17 fronts - I don't believe that Shinko makes them. They do produce their version of the tkc80 but it's a 19" front tire.
Yeah, that's what I'm finding. Lots of guys are running rears on the front. I'll have to raise the front fender to allow for the taller profile.

If raising the front fender for additional clearance is your biggest challenge then it's a piece of cake to perform with some simple extension brackets that can be made at home.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding. Lots of guys are running rears on the front. I'll have to raise the front fender to allow for the taller profile.

I don't recall reading too many people claiming the Shinkos are better than the TKC80 though, just cheaper. With a bike like the Versys (which I considered btw) you want the best you can get since you're already at a big disadvantage with the weight.

Chase and myself did part of the TCAT between Capreol and North Bay last July... in that area it is an old rail trail that consists of slag for a base which is very hard on tires. It was a good run... backroads to Tobermory, camped on Manitoulin, rail trail to Espanola, logging roads to Ramsey, back logging roads over and down to Capreol, Rail trail 1/2 way to North Bay until we ran out of light, Nipissing Trail down to the Park to Park, Park to Park to the 400, some exploring of some crown land and home.

I'd be interested in the Calabogie to North Bay run with my DRZ... especially if I could get a spot on that trailer!

sbuaxp2.jpg

OvCwDk6.jpg

wkmzRWj.jpg

I'm not sure when - I need to look at the other rallyconnex and OFTR / odsc rides to figure out when is the best time for it. I guess it will also depend on how quickly spring comes for nights when we would be camping. I'd rather do other trips during the summer and do this one early spring. I'm ok to camp in "colder" nights as I've got good camping gear but some of it will depend on trail conditions due to snow melt, etc in the spring. Got any timeframes that you prefer?

Chase, did you do that run with Hardman because he mentioned the same thing about the sharp rocks...

I'm not sure when - I need to look at the other rallyconnex and OFTR / odsc rides to figure out when is the best time for it. I guess it will also depend on how quickly spring comes for nights when we would be camping. I'd rather do other trips during the summer and do this one early spring. I'm ok to camp in "colder" nights as I've got good camping gear but some of it will depend on trail conditions due to snow melt, etc in the spring. Got any timeframes that you prefer?
I have camped on freezing temps with hail coming down. Sleeping bag is rated for -14, when would not matter to me much.

Trying to convince my wife to get a 5th or 6th bike is the problem.

What are some good blue plated bikes....i know the cb500x and vstrom are good choices... What else?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chase, did you do that run with Hardman because he mentioned the same thing about the sharp rocks...

Chase hasn't even entered the conversation yet. ;-)

Myself and Chase did that run loosely based on Hardy's tracks, and yeah, Hardy warned me about the slag... it kills tires fast. I think Hardy had one or two flats on the trail. We were lucky and did not.

What are some good blue plated bikes....i know the cb500x and vstrom are good choices... What else?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Your 2011 XR650 is an excellent blue plated bike. Keep it.

Your 2011 XR650 is an excellent blue plated bike. Keep it.
Agree with Mike. It's better than my CB500X and the Vstrom.

The 500X is better if you do the Rally Raid conversion which will cost you another 3 grand, it really is inappropriate for the riding I do with it.

Back
Top Bottom