New to dual sport | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to dual sport

? I've had those 760's, but they're hardly 60/40 let alone 50/50.

Sorry - I missed the OP's part about being totally new to dirt.

I was actually thinking 60/40, but for my purposes, I think I'll go with the 760's and, like you, burn thru them as needed.

I'm very confused ... But it doesn't take much lol

KLR - what were u suggesting the 760/ were, if you didn't think they were 60/40?
And what are your purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very confused ... But it doesn't take much lol

KLR - what were u suggesting the 760/ were, if you didn't think they were 60/40?
And what are your purposes?

They're street legal knobbies to my understanding. They won't wear well or may not offer 'proper' street performance, if you're commuting on pavement 60% of the time.

I'm in Ajax, and there are a ton of unmaintained roads / road allowances in North Pickering (the possible future airport lands) that have been calling my name for a while now.

They're street legal knobbies to my understanding. They won't wear well or may not offer 'proper' street performance, if you're commuting on pavement 60% of the time.

I'm in Ajax, and there are a ton of unmaintained roads / road allowances in North Pickering (the possible future airport lands) that have been calling my name for a while now.

Well let me know if/when the calling becomes stronger . I'm in whitby and be up for it.

Sorry I was thinking the 270s. Does anyone run those?

Some guys I ride with at ODSC run 270s, but they also avoid any track that might have mud. The 270 lasts a lot longer than a knobby, but they do clog up with mud easily.

I had similar tires (shinko 244) on the KLX250 I used to have, and crashed once on a greasy rut as the tire had very little side grip. They were excellent tires for gravel though... just slippery places were a nightmare.

Guys, admit it - it's a either a two-bike or two-sets-of-wheels life...there's no such thing as one bike or one tire that does it all. Nam learned that this past season :)

And that's likely because no one makes the ultimate dual sport unicorn:
1- 300 or so pounds max
2- 21/18 wheels with cheap 17/17 options
3- gearing for both trail and highways
4- decent wind / weather protection
5- strong rear subframe for luggage without adding bulk or weight
6- preferably a V or parallel twin to avoid thumper vibes on long highway stints
7- low cost for large fuel capacity options

some bikes come close like the KTM 690 / Husqvarna 701 (same thing really), the BMW X Challenge but both are single cylinder and neither has any wind protection in stock form. Neither of them hold more than 12 litres of fuel in stock form either...face it: two bikes are better, three bikes is the best scenario if you still want a sport bike in the stable otherwise it's a light dual sport and a large adventure bike combo...

I'd really like to see ktm offer another ktm 640 adventure. Only two of them, one based on the 690, and another based on the 450.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

And that's likely because no one makes the ultimate dual sport unicorn:
1- 300 or so pounds max
2- 21/18 wheels with cheap 17/17 options
3- gearing for both trail and highways
4- decent wind / weather protection
5- strong rear subframe for luggage without adding bulk or weight
6- preferably a V or parallel twin to avoid thumper vibes on long highway stints
7- low cost for large fuel capacity options

some bikes come close like the KTM 690 / Husqvarna 701 (same thing really), the BMW X Challenge but both are single cylinder and neither has any wind protection in stock form. Neither of them hold more than 12 litres of fuel in stock form either...face it: two bikes are better, three bikes is the best scenario if you still want a sport bike in the stable otherwise it's a light dual sport and a large adventure bike combo...

Awesome. So it looks like a may be throwing lot of money at this bike to make it "perfect"

Side note : I found a 21/18 set of rims with tires off a wr250 for $120 .. Yay or nay?

Me too - I had a 640 adventure and despite being a bit heavy and a bit slow, it was amazing like a total tractor off road.

I'd really like to see ktm offer another ktm 640 adventure. Only two of them, one based on the 690, and another based on the 450.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Which bike do you ride?

Awesome. So it looks like a may be throwing lot of money at this bike to make it "perfect"

Side note : I found a 21/18 set of rims with tires off a wr250 for $120 .. Yay or nay?

Right, sorry, got lost in the thread. I've seen many DRZ400s running 17/17 knobblies but I don't know if you can realistically run a rear up front. As for bolting on 21 up front, I believe you'll run into limitations of the DRZ front fork, brake, etc as your version of the bike is different than the dual sport. Maybe someone has done it with positive results, I'm not sure but check on advrider.com

Right, sorry, got lost in the thread. I've seen many DRZ400s running 17/17 knobblies but I don't know if you can realistically run a rear up front. As for bolting on 21 up front, I believe you'll run into limitations of the DRZ front fork, brake, etc as your version of the bike is different than the dual sport. Maybe someone has done it with positive results, I'm not sure but check on advrider.com

Yes I've been researching it on thumper talk and apparently it is feasible , just with a few modifications to the front brake and possibly fork (but not required)
Might be worth it.

Try looking at the Michelin T63 for the rear. I recently picked one up after just about pulling the trigger on a Shinko 244 for a good wearing dual sport tire. The T63 is nearly a knobbie so much better suited off road than the Shinko but seems to have great longevity when used on pavement and is under $100 to boot. Just run a generic knobbie up front as they hardly wear on pavement and will be a lot better off road than a dual sport tire

Despite being full DOT knobbies, people seem to love the Dunlop 606 for front and back and they're even good on the pavement if necessary.

So i just bought a Honda NC750X and plan to take it offroad a bit this summer. It is geared for the trails somewhat. Travel edition. Been lurking on here for a week...thought i'd say hello. Hoping to get more info on big bike friendly trails & rides & also more info on ODSC in general. How does one become a member? Don't have that much riding experience. No offroad yet. Went to buy a lawnmower 2 years ago and got out with a PCX150. After two month had bough a Suzuki Gladius and now with the Honda. Alon, Supernam, Motorcycle Mike...I feel like i know you guys already. Lol

Back
Top Bottom