New to dual sport | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to dual sport

LGdrama

After riding a SS for the last 8+ years, I went out and purchased a 06 drz400- having no experience with dirt/off road! I'm looking forward to learning something new!

Looking for people to ride with, who have patience, and share some of their expertise and help - need to get tires & gear at the moment

Here he is
d042120110d475d2c20e212e01c5a892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

I lead some offroad rides during the season as does Alon, so just watch for postings come spring.

I think you'll need knobbier tires though if you plan to venture into any kind of mud -- those tires you have look the would clog up with mud and become like slicks fast. Those tires you have will do most of the unopened road allowances and fire roads up north just fine... so you could likely wear them out as you start venturing off the street and get more aggressive tires for next time.

Nice bike, looks like you bought it with a supermoto set up. If you are going to do any off-roading you will want to swap to a dirt / dual sport setup. I just bought a KTM 400 XC-W and am also looking for other riders new to the game.

I just traded for a TE250 that I need some legal tires for and get some turn signals installed - will definitely keep an eye out on Alon and MM posts later this year.

Fresh meat! Lol Looks like its shaping up to be a great season. Definitely watch for some of Motorcycle Mike's rides, always good fun and he goes to great lengths to get us off the pavement far from home. Nice drz, keep an eye out on kijiji, you can pick up a set of "s" model rims and tires cheap.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Yes, I like to think of myself as Wagyu ! Lol

Any recommendations for set up or tires? I know most people swap for dirt and street but I'm looking for something that's decent for both.

Does nobody ride in the snow/winter?

Yes, I like to think of myself as Wagyu ! Lol

Any recommendations for set up or tires? I know most people swap for dirt and street but I'm looking for something that's decent for both.

Does nobody ride in the snow/winter?

what is wagyu?

Welcome! Put some bad-boy knobblies on that DRZ (even though you'll be limited to what you can get in 17/17) and come out to hit the trails! It's been a mild winter so far but I haven't ridden since Xmas eve. Keep an eye on this dual sport section of the forum for rides, both mild and wild but don't worry, no one gets left behind and everyone rides to their own abilities, no peer pressure and lots of support.

Yeah I heard there aren't very many options for running 17/17.
What do most ppl run for trails & street? 21/18?
Is it true I will have to swap from front brake and speedo if I go this route?

Like I said, it's going to be used 60/40 and Id prefer to have the best of both worlds rather than leaning more towards one. I'm also not 6foot and doing a 21 front would make it challenging for me lol

Does anyone know if kenda makes a decent 50/50 17 tire?

Yeah I heard there aren't very many options for running 17/17.
What do most ppl run for trails & street? 21/18?
Is it true I will have to swap from front brake and speedo if I go this route?

Like I said, it's going to be used 60/40 and Id prefer to have the best of both worlds rather than leaning more towards one. I'm also not 6foot and doing a 21 front would make it challenging for me lol

I don't actually think that the 21 from the dual sport drz will fit into your bike as the forks are different. Supernam runs continental tkc80 tires in 17/17 on his Honda. Kenda and Shinko also produce aggressive knobbliest in 17". It is what it is - get what you can and just ride.

Likely one of the cheapest options, and they aren't bad tires (my last rear made it to 5000km) are trakmasters... they appear to have a front and a rear in 17":

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/kenda-k760-trakmaster-ii-rear-tire.html $85
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/kenda-k760-trakmaster-ii-front-tire.html $51

Canada's Motorcycle lists a bunch of tires in the 17" size.

since you will have less clearance, you may want to consider a skid plate too -- especially if you intend to ride over large logs or rocks. I think Aviscious Cycle has them for around $125: http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/ricoc...uzuki-dr-z400e-dr-z400s-00-14-dr-z400sm-05-14

And then you'd be all set... tires, hand guards, and protection... ready to take on the world.

Those Kendas are perfect and great price too!

Trakmasters are ok. I find the knobs are squirmy on hot summer pavement regardless of PSI but they do great on sand and the loose stuff. Aired right down, I got stuck in deep frozen corn snow a few times with them so I wouldn't recommend them for that. Not sure if any other non studded tire would have fared better in that scenario though. From my experience, even at -25 and colder they still grip well considering the rubber is frozen. Wonder why they don't do M&S ratings for DOT moto knobbies?

also produce aggressive knobbies

? I've had those 760's, but they're hardly 60/40 let alone 50/50.

? I've had those 760's, but they're hardly 60/40 let alone 50/50.

True, but the reality is that a new dirt rider without the appropriate tires is very likely to crash over and over again and it is going to frustrate them.

On the other hand, an aggressive tire is going to impress the hell out of the new dirt rider and surprise them about what they can make it through, up, and over.

Personally I'd rather wear out aggressive tires quickly on the road than crash repeatedly due to poor tire choices on the dirt.

I think a few riders here can attest to the struggles they've entailed trying to follow me on inappropriate tires... Chase, Iceman, Shane, Demon Pig? On some of my rides every single rider (apart from me -- I've been lucky) have crashed at least once -- and more often than not it is at least partially because of the tire.

Trakmasters are ok. I find the knobs are squirmy on hot summer pavement regardless of PSI but they do great on sand and the loose stuff. Aired right down, I got stuck in deep frozen corn snow a few times with them so I wouldn't recommend them for that. Not sure if any other non studded tire would have fared better in that scenario though. From my experience, even at -25 and colder they still grip well considering the rubber is frozen. Wonder why they don't do M&S ratings for DOT moto knobbies?
The TKC80's are M&S rated. Buy these tires, they are great on and off road. You won't regret it. Read reviews from others if you don't believe me.

True, but the reality is that a new dirt rider without the appropriate tires is very likely to crash over and over again and it is going to frustrate them.

Personally I'd rather wear out aggressive tires quickly on the road than crash repeatedly due to poor tire choices on the dirt.

Sorry - I missed the OP's part about being totally new to dirt.

I was actually thinking 60/40, but for my purposes, I think I'll go with the 760's and, like you, burn thru them as needed.

Back
Top Bottom