Ontario tire recycling fees. WTF! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario tire recycling fees. WTF!

Common problem is people advertising a tread depth that's nowhere near actual.

There's a guy on a local FB Buy&Sell group that I'm on who has been trying to sell a worn out set of junk tires for a few months now, advertising them as "80% tread left!" where anyone who knows anything about tires can see them worn to the wear bars clearly in the picture.

Sadly, someone will buy these thinking they're getting a great deal.

I have had great luck buying used online though. Got a set of 4 true snowtires on steel rims 2 years ago for my Wife's Chrysler 300, inflated and ready to bolt on, about 70% tread left...$225. In July. ;)

What the hell is there to manage about tire waste? Once it's figured out, it's self-sustaining for the duration of the disposal contract. It should take like 1 part-time employee to run OTS!

My brother was heavily involved in a tire recycling project many years ago. That "Industry" is so polluted with scams that honest interests look at it like most of us look at Nigerian bank account offers. There are promising ways of dealing with tire waste but the corruption turns away the people that could solve the problems.

All of governent agencies and agencies hired by the government have steak dinners and cruises.

The big scams are things like 407, E-health, gas power plant, HST, tax on tax in gas, tax on used vehicles. etc.

I honestly don't care if 10 guys on some board will have a $2,000 dinner because that's pennies compared to the above mentioned things. They are just easier to target because it's a private company. Yeah, if I was in charge, I'd fire them but maybe Star should investigate something a bit larger than this.

At least Tire Levies have steadily gone down - to $4.25 per tire at this moment.

My personal rant:

When we have federal and provincial budgets in the billions it's easy to lose track of the thousands and we ignore what those thousands could buy.

It could pay a months rent and groceries for a battered wife. I hope the fat cats enjoy their steak and champagne knowing that somewhere a woman is getting a knuckle sandwich.

It could be part of a scholarship that would make a difference to a marginal kid.

How about putting another cop into the fraud squad to help slow down the insurance fraud that is apparently hammering our rates.

How about fixing a few more potholes so we don't wreck our vehicles?

The secret to stealing stuff is to keep it low enough that people say it's OK.

I agree to a certain extent. However, investigations and legal procedings cost money. We have to be realistic. Corruption exists on all levels. Let's go after the big fish. Otherwise we're spending more resources than the gain is worth, other than maybe a lesson on ethics for a small group of individuals.

most used tires i have seen have poor wear patterns, one side of the tire might be 80%, the other side is 50%....

on the fence about the benefit....

I agree to a certain extent. However, investigations and legal procedings cost money. We have to be realistic. Corruption exists on all levels. Let's go after the big fish. Otherwise we're spending more resources than the gain is worth, other than maybe a lesson on ethics for a small group of individuals.

Wrong. If they hammer people for the little stuff they won't try the big stuff. It worked in New York City.

I just got a good set of 18" Dunlops mounted, balanced and installed with old tires disposed or $220 all in. I'll be happy if they last 50k which they should.

Back
Top Bottom