Honda Recall - 01/08/15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda Recall - 01/08/15

Pssst! Gramps! 2016

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Last edited:
poor description of the problem. is it the relay contacts that may have sealant on them, or the main terminals?

to me it sounds like the main terminals could have sealant on them. but then why do they say "might replace relay". confusing description of the problem.

Last edited:
poor description of the problem. is it the relay contacts that may have sealant on them, or the main terminals?

to me it sounds like the main terminals could have sealant on them. but then why do they say "might replace relay". confusing description of the problem.

I had a 2014 CBR500R that suffered this problem. Symptoms initially manifested as the ABS and check engine light coming on randomly. Things progressed to the whole cluster becoming very flakey (display in and out, lights all over the place etc.) The engine itself never died on me while running though, even when, at a stop light, the entire cluster went blank.

One day I went out for a ride and came back and parked the bike in the garage. I went back out about ten minutes later and the bike was completely dead; no electrical life at all. I pulled the seat and checked the battery and it was fine but turning the key did nothing and the starter button did nothing. I pulled the side panel off and found the starter/main relay like this one:

$_35.JPG

I went to pull the fuse from the relay but it was stuck fast. I used a pair of pliers and pulled hard enough for the fuse to come out in pieces. The plastic on the relay surrounding the legs of the fuse had melted indicating a great deal of heat. As well, the relay didn't function at all.

I put a new fuse in, returned it to the bike and called my dealer (bike was about a month old at that point.) They came and got it and replaced the relay with a "new" (though possibly still faulty) relay and the bike was as good as new. I traded it shortly after on the Fazer.

I'm thinking the sealant likely fouled the internal relay contacts and possibly the fuse contacts as well. The external terminals looked clean to me.

Had mine replaced last summer..no issues, but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom