Which internet service provider do you use? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which internet service provider do you use?

I was going to recommend start.ca, but every day for the past four days my internet has been down from noon until 7 pm or so.

So weird... It works perfectly at night, but it's off in the afternoon.

I emailed support, they say they need a screen shot of the modem diagnostics screen... Ummm, a bit hard to do when I don't have Internet.

Then they say to call in to open a ticket. Also a bit hard to do when I have voip... Anyway, I did call them and wasted my cellular minutes only for them to ask stupid questions about it the cable is linked, the wire is loose, or the power rating of the modem's adapter... Which I can't help but wonder how any of that could be an issue if my internet works at night and morning, but not the afternoon... So they think my lunch time routine is to change the power adapter and kink the line?

Any way, getting pretty frustrated. Is adsl/fibe much more reliable? Am I better off being with Rogers for quicker resolution of issues? Suggestions?

Start is sending a tech on Monday, but by then it will have been 6 days with Internet issues, which is unacceptable for a house where all media is internet based.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

CANINTER.ca
Have been with them for about a year now and no issues. Have never been down, price is good, and frankly I'm glad I got rid of Rogers as I'm saving a good chunk of money for faster/more internet.

CANINTER.ca
Have been with them for about a year now and no issues. Have never been down, price is good, and frankly I'm glad I got rid of Rogers as I'm saving a good chunk of money for faster/more internet.

Cheaper than Rogers for their 100 meg service, but capped at 500gb/month. No good at all for heavy streaming / IPTV households like ours.

Add $10 to the price and you get unlimited....last bullet point on this page:

http://caninter.net/cableinternet/

Missed that...but when you look, it's $20 on the 100 meg plan. ;)

That puts it at the same price as Rogers, but you have to buy the modem for $200.

Many of of the same issues I mentioned earlier when I wanted to stay with Teksavvy, but couldn't justify it.

That's Rogers as much as anything. They've been using loopholes in the wholesaler agreement to make it harder for the other guys.

i.e. forcing you to upgrade modems to their 'approved' model and brand because they won't authorize anything else on their network. Removing middle-tiered plans, so now it's 25Mbps or 100Mbps, nothing in between in most areas. Previously the Thompson cable modems worked with all plans up to and including 100Mbps, but unless you're grandfathered, they make you upgrade to the $300 Cisco modem (which isn't really that good).

Anyway, it all comes down to Bell or Rogers. Everyone else is a re-seller. Vote with your wallet.
exactly,thankfully i get the ex-employee discount.

I'd move away from bell or Rogers out if principle, if the prices are similar. They have shady business practices

I've got a friend in Hong Kong who sent me a screenshot of his "middle tier" plan on Speedtest. It was 500 Mb/s down and up. He is paying $30~ Canadian.

Canada has its good parts like cheaper schooling, free med (especially for track junkies that break things), and is fairly safe...but we are really far behind for telecommunications. Google Fiber would probably fix that but I highly doubt the CRTC will let them get in here. Rogers and Bell clearly have meetings together where the conversation is probably:

"How do we reduce our costs?"
"Lets jack up all of our prices, and say we're working on our quality."
"What about building additional lines to handle the traffic?"
"...Nah, lets just jack up our costs!"

With that said, I'm using Bell. Around $60 bucks a month unlimited bandwidth 16Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up.

........I could've swore it was faster than that a few months ago.

I'd move away from bell or Rogers out if principle, if the prices are similar. They have shady business practices

I would love nothing more, but being forced to buy a modem upfront which the ISP's only usually warranty for 1 year (beyond which you're on the hook for another $200 modem if that one fails) is the big sticking point for me. The ISP that Mimico quoted above is at least comparable in pricing to the equivalent Rogers plan (once the unlimited option is added for heavy users like us), but the "You have to buy the modem" thing sticks in my craw, particularly when they won't even warranty it so long as I remained a customer.

The kicker with Teksavvy was all the above, plus they charged shipping on the modem.

They all do this so they can offer the "no contracts" mantra to, again, match Rogers...but in the end when it was going to cost me a bunch of money to remain a customer, I had to go to the darkside for the time being. I look forward to the day when I can get an equivalent service again from an indy provider with comparable monthly fees, but with all the required hardware included. I don't care if they want to put me on a 1 year contract in order to be able to justify including the modem for free.

I'm still trying to fathom how you can burn so much bandwidth.

Our bottleneck is the wireless. Other than that we can have four playing League of Legends and someone else streaming a movie.

Just threatened to leave Rogers and they gave us a bunch of discounts, a new modem and unlimited 100/10 service. Haven't had an issue with the Internet in 2 years, but I liked Bell's TV signal better. A lot of stuff on Rogers is way too compressed, including Sportsnet.

Just threatened to leave Rogers and they gave us a bunch of discounts, a new modem and unlimited 100/10 service. Haven't had an issue with the Internet in 2 years, but I liked Bell's TV signal better. A lot of stuff on Rogers is way too compressed, including Sportsnet.
How much? I have to call them and renegotiate my contract.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to fathom how you can burn so much bandwidth.

IPTV, simple answer.

post-55970-0-53842700-1401712869.jpg

That's just Netflix, and both my teens usually have it running fairly constantly when they're home. so multiply that times 2 just to start. Our TV in the living room is also cable-cut, relying on IPTV as well, and some HD streams easily run 3 to 4 gigs per hour of streaming. So, just TV alone x3 sets, when everyone is watching, can be 7-8 gigs per hour.

Add on all our other traditional use on top of that (like I touched on earlier, just 1 game my son downloaded from Steam last week, Fallout 4, was over 60 gigs alone), and it adds up quick.

Needless to say we have an AC router in our house so I can get the entire 100 megs from our internet connection through it concurrently without issues or bottlenecks. I also have several of the high consumption items hardwired to make things less congested yet.

How much? I have to call them and renegotiate my contract.

I'm not sure how much we're paying for the Internet service going forward, will have to double-check the next bill. I just added an iPhone 6S to the tab too so the billing is a bit confusing. The total damage is supposed to be around $250 for TV + Internet + 2 phones.

Thanks Matt. That gives me a starting point.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom