Which internet service provider do you use? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which internet service provider do you use?

LiNK666

Who do you use and do you recommend them?

Need to switch to unlimited internet for ip tv stream.

We have Teksavvy over Rogers hardware. It gets throttled down to half speed between 8 pm and midnight I think, which I don't really notice. I like the service. When you call in, you can have them call you back when they're available rather than waiting on the line.

Teksaavy here as well. They used to be more competitive but because they are a reseller they have to play along when Bell or Rogers 'updates their service offerings '.

Still, straightforward service, good price, great customer support (call centre is in St.Catharines.)

Start.ca has worked pretty well for me. Had a small patch with slow speeds but that was due to Cogeco problems I believe rather than their actual service. I use the service (I have the middle speed package) for TV streams and don't have problems.

Heh... I go drinking with those guys. Just sayin'. Speaking of which, the CNOC ISP show is coming up fast.

Teksaavy here as well. They used to be more competitive but because they are a reseller they have to play along when Bell or Rogers 'updates their service offerings '.

Still, straightforward service, good price, great customer support (call centre is in St.Catharines.)

I thought TekSavvy's call centre was in Chatham? Anyway, I'm a fan of them as well. Customer service is pretty good and they don't play the nonsense pricing games that Bell & Rogers do

I thought TekSavvy's call centre was in Chatham? Anyway, I'm a fan of them as well. Customer service is pretty good and they don't play the nonsense pricing games that Bell & Rogers do

Could be Chatham. I always get the two mixed up.

I also have unlimited with Rogers for IP tv Stream, 100 download speed but normally runs at 80 depending of the time of the day.

I wouldn't recommend any cable company, they are all a necessary evil.
Who do you use and do you recommend them?

Need to switch to unlimited internet for ip tv stream.

I also have unlimited with Rogers for IP tv Stream, 100 download speed but normally runs at 80 depending of the time of the day.

I wouldn't recommend any cable company, they are all a necessary evil.

They are all evil. I have cable with Teksavvy. Not sure if I want to continue. Noticed service levels have gone down now that they have a bigger subscriber base as well as higher prices on their part.

They are all evil. I have cable with Teksavvy. Not sure if I want to continue. Noticed service levels have gone down now that they have a bigger subscriber base as well as higher prices on their part.

That's Rogers as much as anything. They've been using loopholes in the wholesaler agreement to make it harder for the other guys.

i.e. forcing you to upgrade modems to their 'approved' model and brand because they won't authorize anything else on their network. Removing middle-tiered plans, so now it's 25Mbps or 100Mbps, nothing in between in most areas. Previously the Thompson cable modems worked with all plans up to and including 100Mbps, but unless you're grandfathered, they make you upgrade to the $300 Cisco modem (which isn't really that good).

Anyway, it all comes down to Bell or Rogers. Everyone else is a re-seller. Vote with your wallet.

I had TekSavvy, needed an unlimited plan and at the time they were the only cable provider that offered unlimited. Last year I switched back to Rogers. For $10 more a month I am getting a 100mb/unlimited connection, compared to the 30 mb/unlimited connection I was getting with TekSavvy. Added bonus I get 2 years of Shomi for free and 2 years NHL Gamecentre for live NHL games.

Both Rogers and Teksavvy have been great, I can count the number of down times on one hand for the last 10 years.

That's Rogers as much as anything. They've been using loopholes in the wholesaler agreement to make it harder for the other guys.

i.e. forcing you to upgrade modems to their 'approved' model and brand because they won't authorize anything else on their network. Removing middle-tiered plans, so now it's 25Mbps or 100Mbps, nothing in between in most areas. Previously the Thompson cable modems worked with all plans up to and including 100Mbps, but unless you're grandfathered, they make you upgrade to the $300 Cisco modem (which isn't really that good).

Anyway, it all comes down to Bell or Rogers. Everyone else is a re-seller. Vote with your wallet.
O.k. I must be grandfathered in then. Still using the Thompson modem. Last time I needed to upgrade it, they mailed me one, and I mailed back the old one. (Rogers didn't allow Teksavvy to flash updates over their lines). I get just under 30 Mbps, from midnight to 8 pm and around half that otherwise. We used the "zap the cap" to get unlimited, since we were going over our limit regularly, and the speed seems fine with just the five of us on. Any lag appears to be on the server end. One guy on here said that his parents or grandparents got a really awesome deal from Rogers. For us, they just told us what great customers we were, and how they'd hate to lose us. Maybe because we paid full price for years and years, instead of trying to beat them down constantly, before asking for a better deal.

O.k. I must be grandfathered in then. Still using the Thompson modem. Last time I needed to upgrade it, they mailed me one, and I mailed back the old one. (Rogers didn't allow Teksavvy to flash updates over their lines). I get just under 30 Mbps, from midnight to 8 pm and around half that otherwise. We used the "zap the cap" to get unlimited, since we were going over our limit regularly, and the speed seems fine with just the five of us on. Any lag appears to be on the server end. One guy on here said that his parents or grandparents got a really awesome deal from Rogers. For us, they just told us what great customers we were, and how they'd hate to lose us. Maybe because we paid full price for years and years, instead of trying to beat them down constantly, before asking for a better deal.

Yeah this started about 6-8 months ago.

Electronic Box here. I went with dsl, haven't looked back since

I was with Teksavvy for about 5 years, loved doing business with the "little guy" vs Bell or Rogers.

Unfortunately the 25 meg service that seemed so fast 5 years ago...was very restrictive now in the era of at least 2 Netflix streams running at any one time (teens), their computers, phones, my wife and my own computers and phones...and recently, the addition of an IPTV box downstairs when we washed our hands of Cable TV.

I wanted to stay with Teksavvy, really I did, but in the end I'd have to buy the modem from them (with only a 1 year warranty), would have to pay to have it shipped to me, and then the equivalent 100 meg service would have been about $10 more per month vs going directly with Rogers for the same service. When I added all the negatives together, I hated to have to do it, but I went back to Rogers.

The service has been rock steady and consistently fast, and 100 megs is serving us well for the time being. We regularly use a minimum of 600-800 gigs per month with a few in the 1.75TB range and they've never batted an eye...so it really is unlimited.

I was with Teksavvy for about 5 years, loved doing business with the "little guy" vs Bell or Rogers.

Unfortunately the 25 meg service that seemed so fast 5 years ago...was very restrictive now in the era of at least 2 Netflix streams running at any one time (teens), their computers, phones, my wife and my own computers and phones...and recently, the addition of an IPTV box downstairs when we washed our hands of Cable TV.

I wanted to stay with Teksavvy, really I did, but in the end I'd have to buy the modem from them (with only a 1 year warranty), would have to pay to have it shipped to me, and then the equivalent 100 meg service would have been about $10 more per month vs going directly with Rogers for the same service. When I added all the negatives together, I hated to have to do it, but I went back to Rogers.

The service has been rock steady and consistently fast, and 100 megs is serving us well for the time being. We regularly use a minimum of 600-800 gigs per month with a few in the 1.75TB range and they've never batted an eye...so it really is unlimited.

What do you have that sucks so much bandwidth?

What do you have that sucks so much bandwidth?

Most evenijgs from about 4 thru 11-midnight there's anywhere from 3 to 4 HD streams running to start. On weekends, 1 to 4 running most of the day. Xbox and Steam game downloads on my sons Xbox or gaming PC (Fallout4 was ~60 gigs, IIRC, GTA4 roughly the same), I use offsite backups in addition to local backups so it's not uncommon for me to have a few gigs of new photos and videos every week....not to mention just regular surfing and downloading.

We we are a very connected and tech savvy household.

I have cogeco pro 60 and had it for a while now. I have a special 'thanks for being a long time excellent customer' price of just under $50/m now.

I'm on Rogers Ignite 250, consistently fast, it's been years since there was a strictly internet related outage.

Easy to hate on Rogers, and there are many reasons to do so, but internet is solid (at least for me)

Back
Top Bottom