Router problems. need help | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Router problems. need help

I looked at the Archer C8 but decided against it. Third-party firmware support did not look promising at the time, and the stock firmware was meh. RT-AC56 is also dual band, and I paid $50 for it off of Kijiji

Yes, I looked before purchase and (at least at the time) neither Tomato nor DDWRT were supported, however the sales person Assured me that the stock firmware was plenty capable once upgraded – sure enough with the firmware update that I applied after getting home...I'm wanting for nothing and performance is stellar.

The one month I mentioned above where I put 1.7TB through my internet connection, that all went through the C8 without a reboot, not to mention my in house intranet traffic as well. With my houses level of traffic I used to have to reboot the Cisco routers at least once every week or two otherwise they'd either slowly lose throughput, or eventually crash/lockup.

I sound like a TP-Link employee here, not the case, just have had a really great experience with it, and the 2 year warranty is reassuring. The form factor stinks, but well, not much I can do about that, and as mentioned, likely less of an issue for most people.

I agree with everything you are saying about the C8, I did a lot of searching and comparing to replace my Asus RT-N56U, which just couldn't handle all the connections, online gaming or Netflix demands. The C8 just happened to be on sale at BB.

The ONLY thing I dislike about the C8 is trying to setup Parental Controls, it's painfully arcane compared to the easy Asus GUI.

Better than any router I've ever owned. I can pickup our wifi on the street in front of our house as well as my entire backyard / pool deck which was always a problem area before. As is customary the 2.4 signal is stronger than 5.0, but that's expected.

I'm no fan of the form factor, I have 4 hard wired devices plugged into it in addition to the Cat5 in from the cable modem and the stand-up design is stupid in that situation, the cables are always trying to pull it over, but meh...for someone without heavy hardwiring (relying mostly on wifi) it would be less of a PITA. I can see past that issue given its performance.

And btw Twisted, the router I quoted is a true AC dual band...for just over $100. ;)

Well I bought it and connected so far so good. My old router had a section where you can optimize it for video or games, does this have set up section like that?

Also you mentioned you upgraded the firmware once you get home.. Can you give me instructions on how to do this? I am not good with computers so "the dummy" is preferable :)

I agree with everything you are saying about the C8, I did a lot of searching and comparing to replace my Asus RT-N56U, which just couldn't handle all the connections, online gaming or Netflix demands. The C8 just happened to be on sale at BB.

The ONLY thing I dislike about the C8 is trying to setup Parental Controls, it's painfully arcane compared to the easy Asus GUI.

Yes, it wasn't good. I opt to use DNS level filtering instead, much simpler - I use www.opendns.com instead, one simple changed to the router and the entire house is filtered and logged, easy. My teens are getting past the parental control era, however. ;)

Also you mentioned you upgraded the firmware once you get home.. Can you give me instructions on how to do this? I am not good with computers so "the dummy" is preferable :)

Login to the router and confirm what version of the firmware it shows. Also look on the sticker on the router and see if it's a V1 or V2 router. Then go the website below and see if the listed firmware (make sure to select the right router version number, the "V" number above) is older than, or already up to date. If it's out of date you can download the new firmware there and the update instructions are there.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-C8.html#Firmware

Back
Top Bottom