Router problems. need help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Router problems. need help

cbcanada

Banned
Hey folks, I have an Asus RT-n65u router. It is a dual band. The 2.4 channel has stopped working, there is no wifi signal and 2.4 light does not come on.

I have rebooted it several times no luck.

If anyone has any insight on this , please let me know . Thanks

Hey folks, I have an Asus RT-n65u router. It is a dual band. The 2.4 channel has stopped working, there is no wifi signal and 2.4 light does not come on.

I have rebooted it several times no luck.

If anyone has any insight on this , please let me know . Thanks

flash it with the newest firmware
if that fails then the unit is likely broken

Couple of guys at work have a Netgear Nighthawk and like them. I went with a TP-link Archer C8, no complaints works well with Netflix and a dozen wireless connections..

Try to get one that can run the Tomato firmware. It's generally an big improvement on stock firmware.

Don't you know that all those router companies have conspired to ruin everyone's internet enjoyment?

I loved the reception and speed of this one. Are you using Asus ? If so which one?

I'm using the RT-AC56, I guess a slightly newer equivalent of yours. 100% completely happy with it, it even grew some substantial features *after* I bought it. Had to get it after my Linksys WRT-610N packed it in, which cost substantially more when I bought it and never seemed to work completely right

I'm using the RT-AC56, I guess a slightly newer equivalent of yours. 100% completely happy with it, it even grew some substantial features *after* I bought it. Had to get it after my Linksys WRT-610N packed it in, which cost substantially more when I bought it and never seemed to work completely right

What do you mean it grew features?

DD-WRT has firmware for many common routers as well. Been using it for years, quite like it. They've done a good job. Just becareful when flashing firmware, if you power off the device during the write you can brick it.

Try to get one that can run the Tomato firmware. It's generally an big improvement on stock firmware.

x2 trying to flash it with DDWRT or Tomato. Each relative website will list compatibility. Worth a shot since all else has failed.

If you need to replace it, I bought a TP-Link Archer C8 a few months back and honestly, it's been the best damn router I've ever owned. I was dodgy on the TP-Link brand until I read a lot of good reviews about this router in particular, so between the reviews, the salesperson confirming good experiences, and the 2 year warranty, I bought it.

It's GREAT. I was a Cisco/Linksys guy for years but their stuff has went downhill and my last Cisco router lasted barely more than a year, just out or warranty. The one before, barely 2. They never performed great....their firmware always sucked so I was always flashing with DD or Tomato anyways, but after going through 3 of them in 5 years, enough.

The C8 however has been stellar. Thoroughput is excellent, even with a 100 meg internet connection, I can saturate the wireless internet (and get a solid 100 megs through it virtually anywhere in the house over both 2.4 and 5.0) and still get 500-900 megs between computers or other devices in our house (intranet) at the same time. Unheard of with my previous hardware. And it's solid through it all, never crashes...and the firmware is surprisingly versatile - I've had no need to try to flash DD or Tomato, honestly.

And it's on sale right now on top of it all at Canada Computers, having just looked.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1047&item_id=079596

What do you mean it grew features?

Well, ASUS brokered some kind of deal with Trend Micro to slim down their enterprise network security stuff into a package for their new routers... and then they decided to go ahead and release it for some of their older routers for free. Not all of it is completely useful to a computer know-it-all jackass like me, but the network-level threat detection & blocking is nifty. And the adaptive QoS is pretty handy too, if you need/want that sort of thing.

I also like that it has a nice balance of letting me tune just about anything I could want on it, but at the same time I could leave it in the hands of my parents and they would be able to work it & use it themselves if they had to. Or at least my siblings.

Plus, it will run Tomato or OpenWRT or DD-WRT like other people are suggesting... I don't. I use a lightly modified version of the stock firmware called Merlin, and most people won't even care about what that adds/changes. The official firmware right from ASUS is already pretty good.

The only caveat emptor I can think of is some of the really expensive models currently have some issues that are being worked on (between ASUS and Qualcomm)... I personally think blowing $400 on an 802.11ac router is not a good idea anyway, but I guess some people need them

x2 trying to flash it with DDWRT or Tomato. Each relative website will list compatibility. Worth a shot since all else has failed.

If you need to replace it, I bought a TP-Link Archer C8 a few months back and honestly, it's been the best damn router I've ever owned. I was dodgy on the TP-Link brand until I read a lot of good reviews about this router in particular, so between the reviews, the salesperson confirming good experiences, and the 2 year warranty, I bought it.

It's GREAT. I was a Cisco/Linksys guy for years but their stuff has went downhill and my last Cisco router lasted barely more than a year, just out or warranty. The one before, barely 2. They never performed great....their firmware always sucked so I was always flashing with DD or Tomato anyways, but after going through 3 of them in 5 years, enough.

The C8 however has been stellar. Thoroughput is excellent, even with a 100 meg internet connection, I can saturate the wireless internet (and get a solid 100 megs through it virtually anywhere in the house over both 2.4 and 5.0) and still get 500-900 megs between computers or other devices in our house (intranet) at the same time. Unheard of with my previous hardware. And it's solid through it all, never crashes...and the firmware is surprisingly versatile - I've had no need to try to flash DD or Tomato, honestly.

And it's on sale right now on top of it all at Canada Computers, having just looked.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1047&item_id=079596

I might actually give this a shot, does it have good range?

I might actually give this a shot, does it have good range?

Better than any router I've ever owned. I can pickup our wifi on the street in front of our house as well as my entire backyard / pool deck which was always a problem area before. As is customary the 2.4 signal is stronger than 5.0, but that's expected.

I'm no fan of the form factor, I have 4 hard wired devices plugged into it in addition to the Cat5 in from the cable modem and the stand-up design is stupid in that situation, the cables are always trying to pull it over, but meh...for someone without heavy hardwiring (relying mostly on wifi) it would be less of a PITA. I can see past that issue given its performance.

And btw Twisted, the router I quoted is a true AC dual band...for just over $100. ;)

Better than any router I've ever owned. I can pickup our wifi on the street in front of our house as well as my entire backyard / pool deck which was always a problem area before. As is customary the 2.4 signal is stronger than 5.0, but that's expected.

I'm no fan of the form factor, I have 4 hard wired devices plugged into it in addition to the Cat5 in from the cable modem and the stand-up design is stupid in that situation, the cables are always trying to pull it over, but meh...for someone without heavy hardwiring (relying mostly on wifi) it would be less of a PITA. I can see past that issue given its performance.

And btw Twisted, the router I quoted is a true AC dual band...for just over $100. ;)

I looked at the Archer C8 but decided against it. Third-party firmware support did not look promising at the time, and the stock firmware was meh. RT-AC56 is also dual band, and I paid $50 for it off of Kijiji

Back
Top Bottom