radio! radio! | GTAMotorcycle.com

radio! radio!

crankcall

Site Supporter
Looking for options on a radio for a motorbike, I like to listen to radio when I ride. Open to any and all suggestions, blue tooth, mini speakers, headphones whatever.
Whos got a bright idea?

I'll admit I'm a bit of a luddite on tech, I'd prefer not to use my phone as a radio but its certainly an option. A standalone would be my preference.

I've used the Daytona Bluetooth as a radio only because frankly I can neither hear anything or be heard with that unit on the phone. I don't pair it and just use the radio function. Plus the connection failed for me.

other option is to take an iPod or any type of radio and use headphones, or purchase flat speakers you can put into the helmet pockets and listen like that.

Personally id prefer not to stream radio outside the house due to data charges.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a luddite on tech, I'd prefer not to use my phone as a radio but its certainly an option. A standalone would be my preference.
Pick up a used Nokia Lumia. Or brand new prepaid for ~$80 They have built in FM tuner, and you *should* be able to use the Bluetooth. Downfall: have to have headphones plugged in to use as antenna.
** I will attempt it tomorrow to confirm
Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Got this in high school , still have it. I may even have the cassette player am/fm combo stashed away, i could lend it to you with 4 cassettes, U2, LedZepplin, The Cars and Van Halen.
4d40a6d57c289_23477n.jpg

Got this in high school , still have it. I may even have the cassette player am/fm combo stashed away, i could lend it to you with 4 cassettes, U2, LedZepplin, The Cars and Van Halen.
4d40a6d57c289_23477n.jpg
I miss those.

The Scala rider has a FM radio built in.
Its not the greatest but does get a few stations in OK.
Best bet, like others mentioned is a phone linked via Bluetooth with whatever headset u choose.
I dedicate an older phone just for that.

I've been told a problem with Walkman devices and many phones is they don't have an RFD filter so you get electrical feedback on your FM radio. They are ok to play MP3 files but FM radio becomes an isuue

Which ever device you use to get your signal I can tell you the Sena 10s has been the best set of speakers that I've used so far. You can bluetooth connect to it or use a 3.5mm plug.

I've been told a problem with Walkman devices and many phones is they don't have an RFD filter so you get electrical feedback on your FM radio. They are ok to play MP3 files but FM radio becomes an isuue
I'm not sure if the Nokia does, but very few issues with feedback.

Canada Computers has a really nice set of Bluetooth earbuds on sale for $25 right now. I rode with them under my full face helmet a week or so back and they were comfortable, blocked out virtually all external noise (which opens up another concern, but that's a different story) and allowed me to listen to anything off my iPhone perfectly.

Guy who had my bike before me had an XM radio antenna stuck on the front mudguard and must have had a small module on the handlebars.

Canada Computers has a really nice set of Bluetooth earbuds on sale for $25 right now. I rode with them under my full face helmet a week or so back and they were comfortable, blocked out virtually all external noise (which opens up another concern, but that's a different story) and allowed me to listen to anything off my iPhone perfectly.

Linky?

I've seen other people with glove-friendly remotes for their MP3 players/phones as well, wonder if that's progressed at all

Linky?

I've seen other people with glove-friendly remotes for their MP3 players/phones as well, wonder if that's progressed at all

I just looked...and can't seem to find them on the website. Perhaps they were only an in-store thing at our local location, but if you have one nearby, worth checking. They're actually pretty impressive - noodle cables so they don't tangle easy, came with a few different sets of rubber nubs, the control unit is small and has a mic, and they charge via USB. I'll see if I can find one of the boxes and post a pic.

Aside from being nice for one up riding (although my bike has a radio in the fairing), I'm actually going to try to set them up for intercom use between my wife and I. Long story, involves some geekery, but if it works...I'll have a good range 2 bike intercom setup for about $50.

I just looked...and can't seem to find them on the website. Perhaps they were only an in-store thing at our local location, but if you have one nearby, worth checking. They're actually pretty impressive - noodle cables so they don't tangle easy, came with a few different sets of rubber nubs, the control unit is small and has a mic, and they charge via USB. I'll see if I can find one of the boxes and post a pic.

Aside from being nice for one up riding (although my bike has a radio in the fairing), I'm actually going to try to set them up for intercom use between my wife and I. Long story, involves some geekery, but if it works...I'll have a good range 2 bike intercom setup for about $50.

I was in Canada Computers today (Etobicoke) and they have a bunch of options for bluetooth noise cancelling ear buds in the $20 range. Most are from a company called Escape, but there were other brands slightly more expensive.

I was looking for this:http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_565&item_id=086448 but despite their stock showing 10+, they had none.

Instead I got this: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_565&item_id=084049 which might actually work better as they have 15 hours talk, 10 hours music time as opposed to 5 hours for the first one I linked to. The thing that goes around the neck might be easier to find with gloves on as well.

It works decently... easy to pair, blocks a fair amount of noise, etc. The sound quality isn't the best, but for $20 I didn't expect much. I need to do a bit of playing around with the equalizer to get it as good as possible.

Any in-ear headphones I've had worked fine. I vote for that because speakers on a bike are dumb.

That was pretty much the discussion my wife and I had, speakers playing music for everybody else in traffic just makes you annoying, the Sena 10 system suggested is leading so far.

Back
Top Bottom