stolen motorcycles in Kitchener found due to traffic stop | GTAMotorcycle.com

stolen motorcycles in Kitchener found due to traffic stop

meester_jamie

Site Supporter
there must be more to this story...

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/traffic-stop-leads-police-to-15-stolen-motorcycles-1.2718136

Published Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:29AM EST
Waterloo Regional Police say they were able to recover 15 motorcycles with a combined value of $160,000 after they were stolen from a business in Kitchener.
Police say they made the discovery after stopping a pickup truck on Victoria Street North around 2:45 a.m. Wednesday.
The truck was towing an enclosed trailer, police say, and something about it raised an officer’s suspicions.
Further investigation led police to the motorcycles, which had allegedly been stolen from a business in the area.
Three men from London are charged with theft and possession of stolen property.

Wonder who got robbed

Wonder who got robbed

Victoria St. N makes me think Zdeno. Winter-stored bikes, maybe?

EDIT: Just saw the story on CTV news. Bikes were KTMs and had Apex Cycle tags on them.

Last edited:
And that's what they get for driving around like that at 2:45am. I assume that they had just burglarized the place. It's pretty easy to catch the trained eye of the police at that hour. Stupid criminals. Put them in a room with the owners of the bikes for some swift justice.

And that's what they get for driving around like that at 2:45am. I assume that they had just burglarized the place. It's pretty easy to catch the trained eye of the police at that hour. Stupid criminals. Put them in a room with the owners of the bikes for some swift justice.
15 bikes at full sticker in December? Apex is prob disappointed they were found

"Good news boss, someone stole all our 2015 R1's!.............wait they found them, doh!"

Pickup trucks with large trailers are required to have CVOR and inspection sticker. Such an obvious target at 2:45am.

Interesting that people think this is a good news story, some of which are the same ones who post on GTAM "f'ing cops stopped me for no reason" Which is I am sure exactly what these guys would be saying...lol

But it is ubderstandable that they caught the cops eye especially this time of year. if the trailer had say decals from a contracting business, Well virtually every construction site is closed down this tme of year, so you wonder why are they dragging around that huge trailer when they are off work for 10 days? Also not many sites are up and running at 3 am during this season either.

Now hopefully the officer done at LEAST one of two things:
1. recorded the driver giving permission to look inside the trailer;
2. had the driver sign his permission in the officer's on duty notebook;
3. obtained a search warrant BEFORE opening the door.

If none of these were done then a good lawyer will get them off on a technicality, (unless of course the trailer had a window and the bikes "were in plain view"...lol).

Still nice to see the bikes recovered, if not the insurers would no doubt use this as justification for another 30% increase next season.

Interesting that people think this is a good news story, some of which are the same ones who post on GTAM "f'ing cops stopped me for no reason" Which is I am sure exactly what these guys would be saying...lol

But it is ubderstandable that they caught the cops eye especially this time of year. if the trailer had say decals from a contracting business, Well virtually every construction site is closed down this tme of year, so you wonder why are they dragging around that huge trailer when they are off work for 10 days? Also not many sites are up and running at 3 am during this season either.

Now hopefully the officer done at LEAST one of two things:
1. recorded the driver giving permission to look inside the trailer;
2. had the driver sign his permission in the officer's on duty notebook;
3. obtained a search warrant BEFORE opening the door.

If none of these were done then a good lawyer will get them off on a technicality, (unless of course the trailer had a window and the bikes "were in plain view"...lol).

Still nice to see the bikes recovered, if not the insurers would no doubt use this as justification for another 30% increase next season.

I wonder if Apex was storing the bikes in that trailer in the back of their place and these guys just backed their truck up to it (after cutting a fence, say) and drove away with it. That might explain the "equipment violations" the officer found (e.g. they didn't take the time or have the means to connect the lights, the brakes or the safety chains...) It also sounds like the cops found the bikes before Apex reported them missing. Apex is going to have an intrusion alarm in their building but maybe not so much outside, maybe just cameras back there.

Apex will likely look into their security after this, possibly in part at the urging of their insurance company.

Yes I suspect security review is all ready in place and that their insurance provider is "helping" with that..lol. Could be the bikes were inside the trailer. Likley may be insurance claim in that case as I doubt the bikes would have been properly "secured" for a trip down the road. doesn't sound e guys were sophisticated thieves at all. Could have also been somewhat of an "inside job" if the theives knew the bikes were in the trailer, (probably not a normal scenario). Could be someone at the dealership said "we just got all these bikes in and we will be putting them inside after the holiday season".

I doubt Apex's insurer will agree in the future that bikes can be left in trailers overnight.

Thank goodness for the owners they were recovered, if they were stored in a trailer they may not be insured.

Ski&Bikes had a trailer loaded to go to the ski show that was jacked, big stink with the insurer was they weren't in the building that was insured, trailer was considered offsite, even though it was backed into a loading dock.

good cops + dumb crooks = win

These bikes were abandoned in the back of the trailer and just moving them to their garage to start claim of them.

Back
Top Bottom