No Fault Insurance Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Fault Insurance Question

Clem

Supposing a driver only had liability on their car and was in a not at fault collision.

With normal insurance they would just sue the other parties insurance company to have their vehicle repaired. Is that still the case with no fault?

This is a hypothetical question only. I'm still trying to adjust to this cluster **** of an insurance system after moving from another province

FWIW, and I'm sure someone who knows more about this than me will answer, I believe you still claim through your own insurance. If its your fault then I think you are out of luck.

If you are involved in an accident and you have the at fault driver's insurance info, you give that to your ins. co. and they handle everything. At the end of the year the ins. companies "balance" the books as to who owes who.

If you don't get their info, you are SOL.

Supposing a driver only had liability on their car and was in a not at fault collision.

With normal insurance they would just sue the other parties insurance company to have their vehicle repaired. Is that still the case with no fault?

This is a hypothetical question only. I'm still trying to adjust to this cluster **** of an insurance system after moving from another province

No fault insurance means the coverage purchased coverage covers you. Doesn't matter who is at fault.

This is how it is in Ontario.

That way if someone doesn't carry enough coverage or no coverage, you don't have take them to court and go through the time and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fault insurance means the coverage purchased coverage covers you. Doesn't matter who is at fault.

This is how it is in Ontario.

That way if someone doesn't carry enough coverage or no coverage, you don't have take them to court and go through the time and effort.

There is a separate charge for un / under insured drivers. The rules and exceptions make it difficult to understand.

If you are in a not at fault collision your car gets repaired and you get a rental from your own company. You also do not pay deductible. This is regardless of whether you have collision or not.

If you are in an at fault your car doesn't get repaired unless you have collision and you pay the deductible. I think rental coverage is extra on top of that.

If you are in a not at fault collision your car gets repaired and you get a rental from your own company. You also do not pay deductible. This is regardless of whether you have collision or not.

If you are in an at fault your car doesn't get repaired unless you have collision and you pay the deductible. I think rental coverage is extra on top of that.
Not so on the deductible portion of your post. When I was hit by the other rider 2 years ago at first TD, (my insurer said your 100% not at fault so no deductible. Then they called back 3 hours later and said the other rider "couldn't be found in SF's database and therefore, may not be insured, based on the info I provided, as provided to me by the police. Therefore they said if he is an uninsured motorist you are on the hook for your deductible. I said that was crap, they faxed me the provision in the insurance act and my policy, covering this.

Thankfully, the police wrote his insurance info down wrong he was insured by SF so my deductible was covered. But in the OPs case the other driver was insured, just didn't have collsion, which means if the other driver is found at fault under the FDR then the OP won't pay his deductible.

Last edited:
Not so on the deductible portion of your post. When I was hit by the other rider 2 years ago at first TD, (my insurer said your 100% not at fault so no deductible. Then they called back 3 hours later and said the other rider "couldn't be found in SF's database and therefore, may not be insured, based on the info I provided, as provided to me by the police. Therefore they said if he is an uninsured motorist you are on the hook for your deductible. I said that was crap, they faxed me the provision in the insurance act and my policy, covering this.

Thankfully, the police wrote his insurance info down wrong he was insured by SF so my deductible was covered. But in the OPs case the other driver was insured, just didn't have collsion, which means if the other driver is found at fault under the FDR then the OP won't pay his deductible.
Well uninsured motorist would be a different issue. I was writing assuming the other party had insurance.

I was told as long as you can identify the other party, you don't pay deductible. In a hit and run where you get no information about the other driver you would have to pay the deductible. Maybe I was told wrong, though.

In Ontario, mandatory coverage includes Liability, Medical Benefits, and Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD). Optional is Collision, Comprehensive/Specified-Perils.

If you are not-at-fault, the DCPD portion of your policy pays for your damage. A % may apply, i.e. If you are assessed as 50% at-fault, DCPD will pat for 50% of the damage to your car and collision, if you have it, pays the rest. Deductibles may apply..

Comprehensive/Specified Perils covers other non-collision damage - theft, vandalism.

your Liability coverage pays out for personal injury claims the other party may have above their coverage and or property damage for non-automobiles, i.e, guard rails, etc.

it's explained in the standard policy document: https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/...Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1215E.1.pdf

Your insurance company pays for your automobile damage under DCPD or collision, there is no recovery from the other party/insurance company. This is restricted by legislation.

In Ontario, mandatory coverage includes Liability, Medical Benefits, and Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD). Optional is Collision, Comprehensive/Specified-Perils.

If you are not-at-fault, the DCPD portion of your policy pays for your damage. A % may apply, i.e. If you are assessed as 50% at-fault, DCPD will pat for 50% of the damage to your car and collision, if you have it, pays the rest. Deductibles may apply..

Comprehensive/Specified Perils covers other non-collision damage - theft, vandalism.

your Liability coverage pays out for personal injury claims the other party may have above their coverage and or property damage for non-automobiles, i.e, guard rails, etc.

it's explained in the standard policy document: https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/...Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1215E.1.pdf

Your insurance company pays for your automobile damage under DCPD or collision, there is no recovery from the other party/insurance company. This is restricted by legislation.

^^^Most accurate definition^^^

To add to that, "No Fault" insurance means that you go to your company and file a claim and they pay you regardless of fault and you never talk to the other company. <--- Basic plain language definition.

^^^Most accurate definition^^^

To add to that, "No Fault" insurance means that you go to your company and file a claim and they pay you regardless of fault and you never talk to the other company. <--- Basic plain language definition.
When did this "no fault" thing come into play? When I got into an accident in college (about 10 years ago now) my company definitely contacted the other party's insurance.

When did this "no fault" thing come into play? When I got into an accident in college (about 10 years ago now) my company definitely contacted the other party's insurance.

The insurance companies will sort out subrogation between themselves.

You only deal with the insurance company you purchased the coverage from.

Vehicle insurance has been no fault since the early 90s I believe.

Coverages and benefits have changed over the years but the way it works has been relatively the same.

Last edited:
The insurance companies will sort out subrogation between themselves.

You only deal with the insurance company you purchased the coverage from.

Vehicle insurance has been no fault since the early 90s I believe.

Coverages and benefits have changed over the years but the way it works has been relatively the same.

That's what I figured but other guy said different. Carry on then.

I was speaking from the side of the insured or claimant... Not from the company side of things.

Back
Top Bottom