2015 Yamaha R! Recall Already!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 Yamaha R! Recall Already!!!

sempre1

More trouble looms for Yamaha and its pending recall of the 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1, as our sources have indicated that all of the superbikes sold in the USA will be affected by the new R1’s transmission issues.
You may recall that Asphalt & Rubber broke the story two weeks ago about the upcoming recall for the 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1, and we explored the topic in-depth on Episode 11 of the Two Enthusiasts Podcast.
Still, we are surprised that a more formal announcement hasn’t emerged from Yamaha Motor USA regarding the matter.
In the meantime, Transport Canada – the importer for Yamaha motorcycles in Canada – issued a recall for 240 units, while some YZF-R1 owners in the USA have begun to receive letters from their local Yamaha dealers concerning the recall procedure.
For 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1 owners who haven’t received a recall notice from the dealer, you should expect one, as it’s our understanding that ultimately all of the 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1 and 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1M motorcycles sold in the USA will need to have their transmission replaced.
This action has been outlined in a technical briefing sent to Yamaha dealers, which solidifies Yamaha’s course of action in correcting the faults found in its gearbox design.
In total, Yamaha expects dealers to take up to 15.8 hours swapping out the YZF-R1’s transmission. The transmission kit and accompanying fluids will set dealers back another $500, though depending on state laws, Yamaha would be on the hook for the full retail price of those items.
With shop service rates at dealerships in the USA rapid approaching $100/hour on average, this is looking like a very expensive recall for Yamaha Motor Corp, with costs on the conservative end of our estimations being $2,000 per motorcycle.
That figure will translate into millions of dollars – likely tens of millions of dollars- in terms of costs for the recall in the American market.
With about $2,000 in dealer margin on the Yamaha YZF-R1 models, and likely the same amount of margin in the manufacturer’s cost, this looming recall could potentially wipe clean whatever income Yamaha Motor Corporation generated from YZF-R1/YZF-R1M sales in 2015.
If there is one thing that history teaches us though, how a manufacturers handle dreadful recalls such as these speaks volumes for their brands, and can actually be an opportunity for motorcycle manufacturers.
This is because when the customer experience is positive, an unfortunate recall like the one here can actually serve to strengthen brand loyalty from owners.

It sucks that the recall is the extensive engine work and not something minor, but looks like Yamaha being professional about it.

Last edited:
No surprise, it's a Yamaha

I didn't know that Transport Canada was in the business of importing vehicles.

Who writes this stuff?

All manufacturers have issues from time to time. These things happen. Hopefully Yam will do it right. Hopefully the Yam guys have decent technicians nearby. This is a big recall....way too expansive!!

This is a fustercluck of biblical proportions for Yam.

Yamaha makes what is essentially a MotoGP bike for the street but product planners don't give it a cassette gearbox. So, engine out of the frame, cases split, 16 hours of shop time and a grand in parts... If I had one I'd prefer Yamaha bought it back and I'd go elsewhere.

That's right.. that is also my teory, i had an 09 r1..guess what? Major tranny problem, drop the engine/$1100 on parts/ total cost was $2400!!! 700kms later same problem! No more r1 for me.

I love my FZ09 but Yamaha is a piss poor quality company. Never had problems with any of my Suzukis or Kawis.

It sucks that the recall is the extensive engine work and not something minor, but looks like Yamaha being professional about it.

When the mechanical issue can cause the transmission to lock up they kinda do need to be professional about it. It's taking a while to roll out though.

I love my FZ09 but Yamaha is a piss poor quality company. Never had problems with any of my Suzukis or Kawis.

Same here i love my R6, but never had any problems with my kawis..

Shhh, that's not what people want to hear

When the mechanical issue can cause the transmission to lock up they kinda do need to be professional about it. It's taking a while to roll out though.

Think about Honda in 2008 when the 1000RR engines were burning oil and Honda basically told the owners to shove it. That was not cool.

sempre1: friend of mine had one, it burned a quart of oil every 1000km. He was worried to go on a long day's ride on it without carrying oil.

I have several times told the experiences of friends of mine with their R1s. Transmission is the least of it, just for reference one guy had two smashed gearboxes in his 2001, and went through three valvetrains (two required a replacement head) on his 2003. Then chain tensioners, clutch, heat problems on his 2009 that I know of and probably lots that i don't as his sister owns the local Yamaha dealership, so he doesn't talk bad about Yamaha, period. If he didn't have "family warranty," he couldn't have afforded to fix his bike. This guy doesn't race, is approaching 60 and I've ridden with him for more than a decade, only occasionally uses hard throttle, usually likes to brag about how great his gas milage is because he has such a steady/soft throttle hand. Similar rider IN his 60s bought a new 2007 R1 after years riding an original FZ1, never had the power he was expecting the very few times he gave it hell (my GSX-R was quick but it would stomp his bike like it was a 600) then at 7,000km it started losing more power, eventually ran on three cylinders and stalled. Replacement head took 4 months, and killed his fall riding, eventually they got a head from the Graves Yamaha team... because Yamaha had used all their spares! Next summer he got to July and the lower end bearings AND the head were rattling. They replaced the motor with a 2008 engine, which, it turns out was not entirely the same as the 2007 despite the specs being identical. And hell, I could go on and on. Suffice it to say that I won't be buying a R1, though I had a brief moment of insanity when I considered racing one in 2016 before the memory kicked in. R1s - btw - are the only bike I know of, in my extended circle of friends, that have had these issues. Friends with <2002 bikes are still replacing 2nd gears. SMH

Also, not only would I not trust that many shop mechanics to do the work on the gearbox, I would be real upset that it had to come apart at all. Whenever you dig into a motor, it never goes back together with the precision or the long-term reliability of the factory (or so it seems). The guys and gals on the assembly line - for what is not done with a robot - do thousands of bikes and know their job blindfolded, not to mention having regularly calibrated torque wrenches that they use for all procedures. How many shop mechanics do this kind of work regularly? How many are trained specifically on this engine as an assembly line worker is?

Last edited:
Think about Honda in 2008 when the 1000RR engines were burning oil and Honda basically told the owners to shove it. That was not cool.
Quality & craftsmanship is not high on a Yamaha. The engineers go for bling more than function

most manufactures will carry insurance against just such an issue happening so the statement that Yamaha will wipe out profit on 2015 R1's? moto journalism at its finest

There is not "insurance" against this sort of thing happening. The "insurance" is doing the design right to minimize the chance of this happening.

Stuff can happen to any manufacturer. I wish Yamaha would recall the 1989 FZR400 for weak 4th gear engagement dogs, because I've broken those twice and another engine that i took apart had the same part broken but it failed in a way that allowed continued operation. And maybe Honda should recall the cbr125 for weak wrist pins, because I broke one of those, too!

The only thing I can say is, i'm glad I do not have in my garage a new Yamaha r1. I just wonder what kind of warranty Yamaha will give them once they fix the problem?

The only thing I can say is, i'm glad I do not have in my garage a new Yamaha r1. I just wonder what kind of warranty Yamaha will give them once they fix the problem?

None extra. They will continue warranty but not extend it, according to those I know who have already had it done or are planning to.

From other sourses...what Yamaha put into it is astounding. They sent replacement bolts, spacers, washers, covers etc for everything even if it wasn't necessary to replace. Hell they even sent new exhaust gaskets they aren't even a part of it at all.. Big step up by Yamaha and good to see them do it. .

There's also reports of frame weld cracks showing up on the new YZ250F(X) models. That might be just as expensive to fix as these transmissions.

Back
Top Bottom