Non name-brand dirt bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Non name-brand dirt bikes

ifiddles

anyone here have any experience with those "other" dirtbikes namely Gio, Daymak, Pithog, Baja, Sachs Madass etc...I see tons of them on kijiji for sale (which should say something to me I guess LOL) but they look fun and of course are cheap...I rode an ex's TTR125 and had a blast and want to get my own...but living in good ole Milton, I'd have to trailer it to a pay as you play spot (or store it there if any places offer that service) and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg in case I don't like it/or stick with it...any thought on these offshoots?...what should I look for/ask about when buying one used?...or since they're so cheap to begin with, should I just stick with buying brand new?

They are pretty much junk and if you break it you are on your own. Buy a older name brand bike that runs well and if you don't like it it will be easy to sell for what you paid.

Sent from a device using a program

You are better off with a used name brand bike The parts are available for the Chinese bikes cheap but one thing to keep in mind they are less powerful than a Japanese bike are. The suspension is very very hard not plush like a name brand bikes

They are pretty much junk and if you break it you are on your own. Buy a older name brand bike that runs well and if you don't like it it will be easy to sell for what you paid.

GOOD advice !!!

Those Chinese bikes are basically disposable. You use them until they die and then throw them out because they have no resale value.

If I were you, I'd save up a bit, perfect time for it over winter, and, like others suggest, get a name brand.

Shhh... don't tell Macdoc that, he has one on the way -- and he could have gotten an excellent second hand KLX250 for the same money! ($3100)

I have a 09 klx that has about $1600 in bolt on farkles I am selling for around that price.

Functional farkles at that.

The fact that they have a wall of spare parts (and I don't mean bars and grips) out on display for Chinese bikes at Royal Distributing seems like a tell-tale sign to keep away from those bikes.

RacerX did an article/test on one back in the day. Was actually hilarious. After only a few laps with a pro rider, it was pretty much destroyed. Now this was several years ago, a pro-rider, and out with the intention to break it on a full MX track, but still a testament to the quality and durability of the Japanese brands back then.

On a side note, a friends Baja 90 fired up first kick at -25 after sitting for 4 months last winter...

RacerX did an article/test on one back in the day. Was actually hilarious. After only a few laps with a pro rider, it was pretty much destroyed. Now this was several years ago, a pro-rider, and out with the intention to break it on a full MX track, but still a testament to the quality and durability of the Japanese brands back then.

On a side note, a friends Baja 90 fired up first kick at -25 after sitting for 4 months last winter...
Usually not the motor that's the problem,just welds,brakes,bolts, they come with a assembly manual but no torque specs to be found.This was 4-5 years ago might be better by now.

Bought a CSC TT 250 last week for $1800us and $250 extra for shipping it to US address in Niagra Falls. It had almost everything I was looking for in a dual sport. Larger gas tank, seat made for humans, a 300 watt stator for heated gears, oh and the price!

I did my research and 10yrs old 230cc Jap bikes are asking for $3000. Came across CSC RX3 and the reviews by owners are very good. Appeantly Zongshen build engines for HOnda, BMW, Harley and others. Check it out...

Bought a CSC TT 250 last week for $1800us and $250 extra for shipping it to US address in Niagra Falls. It had almost everything I was looking for in a dual sport. Larger gas tank, seat made for humans, a 300 watt stator for heated gears, oh and the price!

I did my research and 10yrs old 230cc Jap bikes are asking for $3000. Came across CSC RX3 and the reviews by owners are very good. Appeantly Zongshen build engines for HOnda, BMW, Harley and others. Check it out...

The problem isn't with the engine. The problem is finding parts for the engine if/when something goes wrong.

Two years ago I bought a 5 year old DRZ for $3500. I could sell it tomorrow for around the same (maybe I'd go as low as $3000 if I were selling). In another two years, it will still be worth around $3k. They hold their value.

Your $3000 Chinese bike... what do you think it will be worth in two years?

On top of that, you are getting a bike with 16hp and 6" of suspension travel. If you actually want to take this bike offroad, you'd be much better off with Scuba Steve's KLX250S which will hold its value, easy to find parts, is very reliable, and has decent ground clearance and power for trail riding.

Then again... I've never seen one of these CSC's, so I could be wrong, they might be great bikes. The stats aren't impressive though, and I doubt the resale value will be great, so I'll let other people (like you) risk their money on it. I'll stick with Japanese bikes with a proven track record and proven resale value.

Just watched the offroad video on this bike and the suspension does not look impressive at all,not much travel at all.It just looks cheaply made,get your money back and buy a used brand name bike.

The problem isn't with the engine. The problem is finding parts for the engine if/when something goes wrong.

parts aren't really a problem, Zongshen isn't new at building engines and CSC (distributor) in US is maintaining an inventory of all parts and sub assemblies. You could have any part at your door in a couple days. Which isn't a lot worse than ordering anybody elses parts.

Every major bike magazine, and the alleged moto journalist genius, heralded the Yamaha R1 as the best thing built, yet three threads over is a horror story about transmissions falling apart. BMW had a rear wheel issue where they were coming off bikes .

At 1800. US who cares if the resale is 0 ? if you ride it 3 yrs. $600 a season is cheap rental.

Those chinese dirt bikes are garbage...save your money and get a decent used Honda, yamaha, kawasaki or Suzuki all are good reliable affordable bikes in the 100-250cc range

At 1800. US who cares if the resale is 0 ? if you ride it 3 yrs. $600 a season is cheap rental.

$830 a year is a cheap rental? That's also not including insurance or any maintenance parts and from what I've heard you'll need a few of those.

I'd spend the extra $1000 on a used Japanese bike that I can sell or keep for 15yrs. Also, what would happen if one of the cheap bikes had a transmission issue like the R1, recall? Lol

$830 a year is a cheap rental? That's also not including insurance or any maintenance parts and from what I've heard you'll need a few of those.

I'd spend the extra $1000 on a used Japanese bike that I can sell or keep for 15yrs. Also, what would happen if one of the cheap bikes had a transmission issue like the R1, recall? Lol

And that $830 / year might be justifiable if it were a superior product, but from the specs it appears this bike will offer even less than the DR200 -- a bike which one could easily find gently used and a few years old for $2000 and sell it three years later for $1800.

Back
Top Bottom