Time to get one of my boys in dirt riding - looking for a first bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time to get one of my boys in dirt riding - looking for a first bike

alon

Kids bikes are weird when it comes to sizes. I would suggest just figuring out what seat height would be best and go from there.

Just checked the linked post. Don't be afraid of clutch sand gears. My daughter is the most timid kid and she got it eventually. Lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I took him into a dealership and had him sit on and stand over a few bikes - this batch of 110s they're making fit him well. He needs something with a 24" to 25" seat height...

A Honda crf 110 OT Kawasaki klx 110, all have no clutch but shift with feet to learn, however, can't stall on them. U in SoCal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that mean, SoCal?

What does that mean, SoCal?
Southern California. Most of us on here are in or near Toronto Ontario Canada.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I know what SoCal means, I jut didn't understand why you were asking me that. I'm in Toronto.

I know what SoCal means, I jut didn't understand why you were asking me that. I'm in Toronto.
Because Sandra Lee is from the OC. She seems to have stumbled her way onto our fine forum.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Um, ok...are we opposed to visitors from other locales?

Honda 110 is a great bike and should last him a few years unless he starts wanting something more aggressive. Hard to find these bikes used and when you do people seem to be asking not much less than new.

@alon Honda junior red riders will be at the show sat and sun. The kids can sign up to ride the 110s.

@alon Honda junior red riders will be at the show sat and sun. The kids can sign up to ride the 110s.

Can the older guys/girls that still act like kids sign up and ride?

Can the older guys/girls that still act like kids sign up and ride?
Nope. 6-12 year olds only ?
And my 12 year old has just informed me that he has no interest in trying it out. Damn video game generation.

I've got twin nine year old boys - only one of them is interested in riding (after both doing a full day at Trail Tours on CRF70s). The other one claims he wasn't "entertained by it", prefers his damn video games...

anyhow, I found an Oset 20 that I'm seriously considering instead of a traditional 110. While I still prefer the he learns gears and has a foot brake, it's hard to argue the benefits of the Oset; dead quiet, super light (half the weight of a comparable 110), trials-style so it forces him to stand, super torquey and big enough to take him through the next few years at which time he'll grow and be ready for something with a proper clutch and gears...I'm not completely sold on it yet but really considering it.

http://osetbikes.com/gb/oset-bikes/oset-20-0-racing/

Some things to consider.. Where do you plan to ride with your kid? Where are you going to get parts for your oset when you need a new hand lever or gear lever, and will it be in stock? If you plan on riding in some deep mud the tire hugging front fender isn't going to work. If you plan on going for a 40 minute ride is your kid going to stand on the pegs the whole time? A kid 9 or older is ready for a proper clutch and brakes, or at least a set up like the crf 70 that has the brakes and shifter in the right place. I vote crf70.

EDIT: the klx110 is a heavy slug. at a hare scrambles mini juniour race my kid would pass them stuck in the mud, park his bike and walk back and help them out of the mud. he was riding a crf50, 8 years old (lied about his age so he could enter). yeh he was a bit tall for the crf50 but didn't care, he owned that 50. moved to a crf80 with proper clutch at 9. yeh the 80 was too tall for him but he managed with some tippy toes. he started riding on the crf50 just before turning 6.

The crf 70 is ~ 35lbs less weight than a 110 and alot less top heavy. one season on the 70 to get the feel of riding and then buy him a real dirtbike-a 2 stroke 65 which weighs even less than the crf70. A 160-165 pound 110 is just too heavy for a newbie.

Last edited:
bought a used crf50 that was in very near new cond. for $1000. sold ~4yrs later for $800.
bought the crf80 that was in very near new cond for $1250 sold ~ 4yrs later for $1000.

buy something that is very near brand new in CONDITION. never had a problem with either bike. honda bullet proof.

ME: I rode a $800 clapped out un-streeted DT200 the whole time... sold as mostly dead after 7-8 years but still running for $150 always looked at my kids bikes with envy.

Last edited:
Thanks boyoboy - at the moment, I am assessing the current options available:
1- 2013 CRF110 - very clean and low use for a good price
2- 2014 Oset 20 - very clean for a decent price
3- I'm off to the Toronto bike show today to see if anyone has anything for a great deal
4- I'm constantly checking kijiji, etc to see what comes up - I've been eyeing KTM 50 juniors and seniors: 2 stroke 50s that are fully auto but have the brakes in the right places. Despite being small, they are very fast and peaky in their power delivery. KTM 65: even faster with bigger wheels and a proper clutch (which I really don't think my kid is ready for) - I'd love to get a KTM mostly because I drink so much of the orange Coolaid myself :)

The Oset seems like a very good fit - room to grow, low stand-over height, half the weight of any 90 or 110, silent so I can take him to the school fields down the street from my house - I'll take him into trails on weekends in the spring and summer but let's face it, he won't be riding more than two hours at a time, he'll simply be exhausted, no? As for the seat, Oset actually sells a simple snap on seat kit and frankly, I could make one too.

All your options are good. Though I can tell you kids love the mud. When my son started riding we lived in N. bay and riding spots were wide open. From our townhouse we could push the bike about 200 meters away and have a field/mud bog to ride on. I would sit the kid on the bike (engine off) and use a hockey stick to make the pushing easier and then let him go once we got there. always stayed legal. a 25 minute drive north with the trailer would put us on crown land trails. It was beautiful. Then we moved here. So hard to find a place to ride. We would go up hwy 6 north to just before owen sound to the motocross track and trails at ? walford? walton? can't remember the name. we went to ride the trails there (which are crap) and found out the motocross track was actually a blast! we would go during the week and sometimes camp over night at the track so we would get two back to back days of riding. Weekdays the place was almost empty. membership cost us $25 each, and then it was $25/day each. very reasonable, camping over was free, and there were showers available. we could even use the power washer for bikes free, they have a small bike shop there, and a restaurant. it was a really great deal overall. they run a motocross school and have a downsized track (no real jumps) for young guys to ride and learn. my kid kind of "hung around" the downsized track during the school - and actually learned some good stuff like always keep your knees tight to the tank when landing from a jump (saves your knees from injury). The young guy (17?) teaching the kids was really good. no pressure. and my son wasnt even in the school-just there hanging out. when we went out on the big track there was never more than 3-6 bikes circulating. the track has a lot of elevation changes and we were slow-so I would ride blocker about 10-20 yards behind my kid and raise my arm to warn the coming from behind fast guys what was ahead (with the hills my kid would be hidden from view and I didn't want anyone to land on him. Everyone was cool about it and didn't mind. they actually embraced him out there on the 50, and later the 80. But I always remembered seeing the young instructer and his scars from broken bones / operations from motocross racing. it concerned me, and my kid kept hinting that he liked the orange bikes (ktm's). he wanted a 50/65 twostroke. I didn't want him to race motocross but never said that to him. So I found out about the hare scrambles races around SW ontario and got him into that to make him forget about motocross. Whew! hare scrambles was a great atmosphere and most kids 10-13 were running mainly 50/65 two strokes (the bikes to have). he made friends with other kids, had a great time, again it was a low pressure type atmosphere. after his race (1 hour) we would put a couple of lawnchairs on top of the mini van roof and watch the rest of the races. The races are run on a ~6-10 km trail (loop) with checkpoints to count their laps. fastest rider wins. hare scrambles was the only way I could find a good place to ride. it was inexpensive and the kids really work up a good sweat with the long races. highly recommended. theres classes for everyone from novice to expert to over 59's! its all done in one day and there are giveaway draws like T-shirts goggles and such (thx royal distributing!) at the days end.

Last edited:
Bike found - ended up picking up a Suzuki 80 Jr. from a friend who's daughter outgrew it. 80cc 2 stroke with 5 gears and a proper lever clutch. Yes, the learning curve will be a bit steep with the clutch but he's young so it shouldn't be too bad and this way I'll never have to teach him to use a clutch later on for his next bike.

^Nice. My first bike was a Honda z50, clutch and 3 gears. It's a good way to learn right from the start.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom