Cut off regulations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cut off regulations

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Stupid question but is there some law that entitles someone to cut into your lane once they are partly ahead of you?

I think in some boating situations an overtaking boat has some rights once they are abeam another boat, whatever that means.

Stupid question but is there some law that entitles someone to cut into your lane once they are partly ahead of you?

I think in some boating situations an overtaking boat has some rights once they are abeam another boat, whatever that means.

Maybe if racing on the track.. but not really on the highway.

The driver's handbook seems pretty straightforward on it.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section6.5.0.shtml

There's a lot of interpretation / grey area, however - I think that if the change was done overly close to another vehicle (again, as listed in the above link) or done in such a fashion that it would cause another vehicle to have to take action to avoid either a colission or the potential for one... a LEO would have grounds to lay a Lane change/not in safety charge.

Boating laws do not translate to roads. Apples and oranges.

I've had it happen several times to the point that I think it's the new norm. The last one had me swerving to avoid a twit who just kept coming over into my lane from the merge lane (427 S near Rathburn FWIW). The natural reaction is to swerve into another lane but that could result in a collision with another vehicle while the initiator cruises off free.

All the twit had to do is step on the gas a bit and he could have merged in front of me.

Welcome to the new norm.

I've had it happen several times to the point that I think it's the new norm....All the twit had to do is step on the gas a bit and he could have merged in front of me.

Try having it happen to you when you weigh ~150,000#. Between that and people who don't know how to merge properly (ACCELERATE FFS!), that covers two of my pet peeves on the roads.

While I agree no one should step in front of someone else to cause a problem. We as traffic flow can also help the situation out by either clearing the merging lane by moving over or adjusting our speed to allow room for another potentially less aggressive driver to merge. With the new driver assists I am concerned that the blind spot check is a thing of the past.

Try having it happen to you when you weigh ~150,000#. Between that and people who don't know how to merge properly (ACCELERATE FFS!), that covers two of my pet peeves on the roads.

When people hear of a jack knifed tractor trailer the usual response is "Those trucks!!!". I think "I wonder who cut them off?"

You would be doing the world a favour if you flattened a few of them but it probably isn't worth the paperwork and scheduling problems.

While I agree no one should step in front of someone else to cause a problem. We as traffic flow can also help the situation out by either clearing the merging lane by moving over or adjusting our speed to allow room for another potentially less aggressive driver to merge. With the new driver assists I am concerned that the blind spot check is a thing of the past.

Traffic wasn't heavy and I was just slightly above the limit. He had lots of room to accelerate but think his phone was busy.

The situation you are describing sounds like a textbook example of "Unsafe Lane Change" under the HTA.

When people hear of a jack knifed tractor trailer the usual response is "Those trucks!!!". I think "I wonder who cut them off?"

You would be doing the world a favour if you flattened a few of them but it probably isn't worth the paperwork and scheduling problems.

You mean like the tragic collision last night on the QEW, (the highway is still closed). Two people lost their lives, I would rather that truckers NOT " doing the world a favor if you flattened a few of them." I highly doubt their families would take your suggestion well either. Perhaps you should attend, (as I have the scene of a fatal collision, you would see it is not a "favor" for anyone involved including the first responders who sometimes deal with these horrific collision scenes for decades afterwards.

How about you get out of that lane while cars are merging? One of my pet peeves is drivers just sitting in the inside lane and making cars merge all around them. I get it during rush hour traffic but when there is light traffic just move over and give the merging drivers room.

I've had it happen several times to the point that I think it's the new norm. The last one had me swerving to avoid a twit who just kept coming over into my lane from the merge lane (427 S near Rathburn FWIW). The natural reaction is to swerve into another lane but that could result in a collision with another vehicle while the initiator cruises off free.

All the twit had to do is step on the gas a bit and he could have merged in front of me.

Welcome to the new norm.

Traffic wasn't heavy and I was just slightly above the limit. He had lots of room to accelerate but think his phone was busy.

As far as I know you don't have to let someone onto the highway, it's on them to find a safe spot to enter and get in appropriately with enough safety distance between vehicles. This is especially true if they have a yield sign.

How about you get out of that lane while cars are merging? One of my pet peeves is drivers just sitting in the inside lane and making cars merge all around them. I get it during rush hour traffic but when there is light traffic just move over and give the merging drivers room.

How about you read some of the threads about people not keeping to the right. How about you reading where there was lots of room if the driver would drive instead of as I suspect yap on the phone.

You mean like the tragic collision last night on the QEW, (the highway is still closed). Two people lost their lives, I would rather that truckers NOT " doing the world a favor if you flattened a few of them." I highly doubt their families would take your suggestion well either. Perhaps you should attend, (as I have the scene of a fatal collision, you would see it is not a "favor" for anyone involved including the first responders who sometimes deal with these horrific collision scenes for decades afterwards.

I failed to use the sarcasm font. Sorry about that but I am also sorry for the truckers who end up dead in the ditch while the cause of the wreck drives off in oblivion.

As far as I know you don't have to let someone onto the highway, it's on them to find a safe spot to enter and get in appropriately with enough safety distance between vehicles. This is especially true if they have a yield sign.

Baggsy is correct, there is NO legal obligation for traffic to change lanes to make room for people merging - it is the sole responsibility of the person entering the highway to not only accelerate (Which is problem number one as that simple step is lost on about 60% of drivers) and then find a spot once up to the flow of traffic (which, when you don't F'ing ACCELERATE is a challenge) and then merge in.

Yes, it's common courtesy to move over if possible, but it's also frustrating as **** to see someone coming down an onramp with a a kilometer of space *ahead* of you to merge easily, only to see them putter down the onramp at half the speed of traffic flow, not paying any attention until they're nearly out of space, still not accelerating, and only when they're almost out of real-estate down they THEN do they look in the mirror and realize it's time to merge.....and then suddenly it's everyone else's problem that there's nowhere for them to go.

Then they give you the finger because guys like me at 70 feet long often can't move over because of traffic in the other lane...nor is slamming on the brakes and losing 50% of our speed & momentum (that can take kilometers to rebuild) an option.

But it's all my fault...and then the idiot goes on a forum or writes a comment to on FB complaining about how the idiot trucker "almost ran me off the road".

And if we were left with no other option BUT to slam on our brakes to let the idiot merge, now "that idiot trucker was doing 50K on the 401 for kilometers and traffic had to swerve all over the place to avoid it!" is the next story.

My point is all of the entitlement can be a problem.

If the highway is not busy throw the guy merging a bone and get out of his way. We are all different and it doesn't matter who was at fault when something bad happens. My point is just to try and share the road as best as possible, I don't believe it really matters who did the wrong when someone doesn't get home to their families.

Just my opinion.

My point is all of the entitlement can be a problem.

If the highway is not busy throw the guy merging a bone and get out of his way.

I do, at every opportunity. It's as convenient for me to not have to worry about being in someone's way as it is for me to not be in that other person's way. People must also realize that it's not always an option however, so actually learning to merge properly and executing the maneuver eliminates any issues most of the time regardless.

I do, at every opportunity. It's as convenient for me to not have to worry about being in someone's way as it is for me to not be in that other person's way. People must also realize that it's not always an option however, so actually learning to merge properly and executing the maneuver eliminates any issues most of the time regardless.

Totally agree, not sure when more effort will be spent on driver training instead of just raising insurance rates due to claims. I really wish instead of graduated licensing they would put drivers through real driver training to raise the bar of what people know on the road.

Huh? What do threads about keeping to the right have anything to do with this?

Why not move over and give merging drivers an easier merge. In your specific situation you would not even have had your incident. Simple common courtesy on the road eliminates so many problems. You might want to read about it....

How about you read some of the threads about people not keeping to the right. How about you reading where there was lots of room if the driver would drive instead of as I suspect yap on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom