SpaceX. They did it. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SpaceX. They did it.

No doubt he did good...worked hard and is very smart. However...this is more Apple than IBM. Why haven’t people been busy doing the things he’s already done? No idea...maybe there was no will. The US managed to put up satellites despite him, build space stations despite him, send up Hubble etc. Massive funding for NASA wasn’t that popular at times. Who knows? I’m glad he’s doing these things but I’m not swooning over them like some people seem to be.

No, there was always a will .... the real reason is, the way he does it is really hard. Remember he's doing things for a fraction of cost (because if cost is not a concern, many people would have a go ... yet cost is the biggest obstacle of space exploration). He's re-using components others just burnt up or let fall intentionally wherever. I think, you are making a mistake thinking that he has not done anything revolutionary when compared to NASA programs of the past.

Space program = convoluted organization that trips over its own processes bringing costs up to ridiculous amounts.

Space X = follow the vision of Elon which is to get people on mars for much cheaper than what is currently being done.

If people can start spending money on space rather than wars on earth, WHY THE FAK NOT? lol

Yes we do have other issues at hand on earth, he's working on a solution to possibly save us from ourselves if push comes to shove. If it's not necessary, space exploration is still something we should look into to better understand the universe surrounding us.

It's funny how people forget or do not want to give Tesla credit for actually saving many lives by pushing for EV transport revolution and renewable technologies. You can either be a drug company saving people's lives making drugs ... or you can save them in another way.

It's a big deal cause they got a big payload rocket that is mostly reusable. Gotta admit that the twin boosters landing is cool. Next up is the BFR.....Big Falcon Rocket. :)

No, there was always a will .... the real reason is, the way he does it is really hard. Remember he's doing things for a fraction of cost (because if cost is not a concern, many people would have a go ... yet cost is the biggest obstacle of space exploration). He's re-using components others just burnt up or let fall intentionally wherever. I think, you are making a mistake thinking that he has not done anything revolutionary when compared to NASA programs of the past.

To develop something that is cheaper is not necessarily cheaper too. In fact it’s likely more expensive.

Reusing millions of $$$$ worth of booster rockets instead of dumping them into the ocean has got to be cheaper than using new ones each time.

Reusing millions of $$$$ worth of booster rockets instead of dumping them into the ocean has got to be cheaper than using new ones each time.

Absolutely...no question. But the development costs may have made accountable government budgeting agencies balk. As an aside, I wonder why they never really recycled the ditches ones.

too much damage after falling into the ocean at speed?

Probably. They are mostly just massive hollow tubes after they have used their fuel. Surely it wouldn’t have been too hard to put retarding (careful Trudeau...this is actually a non offensive word in this context) parachutes on the boosters and inflatable floats (like on the Saturn V return capsule) on them? Big hook attachment points and a heavy lift helicopter?

Maybe this is is why I don’t work for NASA though.

Also...just being nit picky here...but wasn’t the first car in space the lunar rover? Plus...that was actually driven on the moon...and it was electrically powered.

I think people need to do some research on everything this man has accomplished in his life, if you don't have respect for his accomplishments I think there is something wrong with you. He tired to buy old rockets from Russia for millions, and got laughed at by Russians saying "what you cant afford them" the guy said "no I just think I can build my own for cheaper" Now he's sending rockets to space, and landing the fuel tanks back on earth with accuracy, with the overall goal being to recover every part that gets sent up there, and reuse them to launch again and again. And also using it for commercial travel, I saw a video that is showing flights across the world for most destination in less then 30min .Personality is one thing but what he is doing is legendary IMO. The man was beyond rich and doesn't have to do any of this, but almost went bankrupt because he kept trying. He has some great work ethic if you listen to him speak about why hes doing this, and about working hard not for money because he already had a lot of money...Tons of people doubt this man and he just keeps proving people wrong. I also had no idea he was the founder of huge things like what is now Paypal

The car thing may look and sound stupid, but its got the Im going to do it because I can factor. I though he was kinda weird, but now after some research I think hes still a little weird (maybe even an alien) but also a genius. Im saving for my spaceX ticket already, hopefully he makes it possible and affordable in my lifetime!

Good watch talks about the car and why about 5 min in, and again at 15min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sytrrdOPYzA

Last edited:
Probably. They are mostly just massive hollow tubes after they have used their fuel. Surely it wouldn’t have been too hard to put retarding (careful Trudeau...this is actually a non offensive word in this context) parachutes on the boosters and inflatable floats (like on the Saturn V return capsule) on them? Big hook attachment points and a heavy lift helicopter?

Maybe this is is why I don’t work for NASA though.

NASA is funding SpaceX and contracted them because they are doing what they so far have not been able to achieve. Up until now most things sent to space stay floating in space, burn up re entering the earths atmosphere, or lands in the ocean like you mentioned but are not reusable. The difference with SpaceX is they are starting to land everything back on earth with no damage, to be reused/relaunced.

The first privately funded liquid-fueled rocket to reach orbit (Falcon 1 Flight 4 — September 28, 2008
The first privately funded company to successfully launch, orbit, and recover a spacecraft (Falcon 9 Flight 2 — December 9, 2010)
The first private company to send a spacecraft to the International Space Station (Falcon 9 Flight 3 — May 25, 2012)
The first private company to send a satellite into geosynchronous orbit (Falcon 9 Flight 7 — December 3, 2013)
The first landing of an orbital rocket's first stage on land (Falcon 9 Flight 20 — December 22, 2015)
The first landing of an orbital rocket's first stage on an ocean platform (Falcon 9 Flight 23 — April 8, 2016)
The first relaunch and landing of a used orbital rocket (Falcon 9 Flight 32 — March 30, 2017)
The first controlled flyback and recovery of a payload fairing (Falcon 9 Flight 32 — March 30, 2017)
The first reflight of a commercial cargo spacecraft. (Falcon 9 Flight 35 — June 3, 2017)
The first privately funded payload to escape Earth's gravity. Two of the three boosters of the same launch were successfully recovered. (Falcon Heavy Test Flight - February 6, 2018

Last edited:
Well said Johnny.

It's truly sad that many in this society get excited over many stupid viral videos or Twitter posts, yet have very little appreciation for what EM has done so far in his young life. It's mind boggling why humans are not capable to call someone's greatness when they see one.

the way I see it.

Its cool, it can be done, and money stupidly spent, but what a waste.....

wi4ig7.jpg

the way I see it.

Its cool, it can be done, and money stupidly spent, but what a waste.....

wi4ig7.jpg
I'm pretty sure thats how people thought about cars when we were mainly using horses.
And most people who were the initiators of breakthroughs in history of mankind have been deemed as crazy useless people with weird ideas for their time but in retrospect we can see the genius. In some cases things were stumbled upon by accident, and i think stumbling upon discoveries in unexplored areas is much more likely to happen than researching on earth.

To respond to your previous response
>>>Space program = convoluted organization that trips over its own processes bringing costs up to ridiculous amounts.
>>Basically, like the government.

Yes because the NASA IS the government
SpaceX allows to get rid of a lot of useless and costly redtape for something that's already goddamn expensive and using up mainly tax dollars

>>>Space X = follow the vision of Elon which is to get people on mars for much cheaper than what is currently being done.
>>Why? whats the point of this? You can't live there. Pure waste. We already know whats out there. Go to Nasa Instagram and view the stunning shots of Jupiter and outer space.
Do we actually already know what's out there? The potential? It's only until recently that we confirmed that there was some form of water on mars, so does this mean we know everything there is to know about it? I don't think so. Making it cheaper to get there means more exploration potential and more research potential which can maybe find puzzle pieces for breakthroughs on earth

>>>If people can start spending money on space rather than wars on earth, WHY THE FAK NOT? lol
>>We have smart people with lots of money, wasting it on Space Programs, just do something good for the Better of the people. Find a cure, invent a useful item, help out the poor. Then you will really make a NAME For yourself.

Well it seems like it's not Elon's focus, objective or what drives him at the moment. He's got the money and the motivation to make advancements in the fields he's interested in, we're not going to tell him what to do with his money or his time. Tons of people are richer than him and are wasting away and not giving a fak. He's trying to do something.

>>>Yes we do have other issues at hand on earth, he's working on a solution to possibly save us from ourselves if push comes to shove. If it's not necessary, space exploration is still something we should look into to better understand the universe surrounding us.

Quite successful launch of the big rocket today. Lost at least six segments of the main booster before it lost stability. Since a lot failed on one side, my guess is they didn't have enough command authority to maintain that much imbalance.

342521376_628250172454018_3133049984239468093_n.jpg

Todays launch ending in a giant fireball wasn't planned through as I understand it.
I know this is all still in the learning stages etc, but if I was someone who was looking at being strapped to the pointy end of that thing in a year or three I'd be rather concerned.

But, in the grand scheme, Time seems to have a well measured response:

Todays launch ending in a giant fireball wasn't planned through as I understand it.
I know this is all still in the learning stages etc, but if I was someone who was looking at being strapped to the pointy end of that thing in a year or three I'd be rather concerned.

But, in the grand scheme, Time seems to have a well measured response:

Fireball was unplanned. Apparently the bar for success was clearing the tower which they vastly exceeded.

Back
Top Bottom