Finders Keepers | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finders Keepers

don't have it towed.
If the property owner is the landlord and the owner was a tenant, he can apply to the LTB and claim the bike as abandoned property. He has to file the paperwork and wait 30 days (I think its 170 bucks), and he might have already filed it to get back into the unit.
If its for a building that has parking available, the property owner can apply to have a lien put against the bike. Its the same process a mechanic uses when someone brings in a vehicle to fix and doesnt pay.

+1 was wondering when someone would say something like this. landlord will need to put out a public advertisement to auction the bike for storage owed...not a lien. public auction; let us know when. a mechanics lien is for money owed for repair.

Last edited:
A mechanic's lien also applies for unpaid towing and storage fees.
Trust me, I have had reason to check into this.

In Ontario a Mechanic's Lien is not a court process. It is covered under a law called (oddly enough) The Mechanic Liens Act.
It essentially states that if you requested the work be done, and you don' pay for it, the mechanic keeps the car until you do.

Last edited:
And leaving half a coffee and Sun at your table doesn't assure it's survival when stepping away for a deuce.
Depends on if the sunshine girl is ripped out

A mechanic's lien also applies for unpaid towing and storage fees.
Trust me, I have had reason to check into this.

In Ontario a Mechanic's Lien is not a court process. It is covered under a law called (oddly enough) The Mechanic Liens Act.
It essentially states that if you requested the work be done, and you don' pay for it, the mechanic keeps the car until you do.

exactly. a lien doesn't allow you to sell the bike without further action. a landlord selling off items for unpaid storage after 3 months doesn't require any court action - just 3 months and public notification of the auction sale. and no $170.

Last edited:
exactly. a lien doesn't allow you to sell the bike without further action. a landlord selling off items for unpaid storage after 3 months doesn't require any court action - just 3 months and public notification of the auction sale. and no $170.

The difference is, under the Liens Act, the mechanic or towing company has to have to ownership transferred to their name before it can be auctioned.
A landlord does not.
Check some of the posts on getting an unregistered vehicle transferred in Ontario.
This shouldn't be a huge problem in this case as the bike is a parts bike, but if you want to ride one you are in for an adventure.

Back
Top Bottom